E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

retrofitting folding mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2004, 05:07 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Hi,
Can "folding mirrors (Automatic)" be retrofitted?
Is there any reason why we don't get that in the US? For example: To comply with DOT or something like that?
Old 09-20-2004, 05:33 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There is no DOT regulation prohibiting folding mirrors in the US.

Most likely the reasons BMW doesn't give them to us are:

1) It's cheaper and probably not an option that would sell well here. The main reason they are on European cars is that the streets there are sometimes quite narrow (and I mean NARROW) so it's a necessary option. Also, keep in mind that the 5 isn't really that wide of a car by today's SUV standards.

2) It's an option they can throw on in later model years to add value to the car and help sell them closer to the end of it's life. Remember, there are certain things that are only offered on the 7-series simply to cause people to consider upgrading from a 5.
Old 09-20-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributors

I was told by sales that you can only get them from the factory.

We probably do not get them because "wider is better". So we have way more parking space than Europe We really do not need them in the states but it would have been nice to let us make that decision.
Old 09-20-2004, 06:10 PM
Contributors

I would not mind having them. I think itis cool.
Old 09-20-2004, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

Folding mirror is more than a cool thing in Hong Kong, its definitely a necessity. There are too many parking in Hong Kong the car need to go into a lift to get into a second floor, bigger cars like E-class or 5er NEEDS to fold mirrors to get in!

But in US or Canada, I think folding mirror is really "cool" but not much a necessity, so BMW North America won't making them avaliable.

I remember when I was in Canada driving my M Roadster, I can never park the car right in the middle of the parking spot, just because the car is too small and the spot is too huge, most of the spots there can fit in 2 M roadster.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:31 PM
Senior Members

i'd love to have that feature cuz a lot of the parking spaces in here, hawaii, are tight (except costco). i think most of the countries have this feature except usa and it's been there for years! i hate to say it and don't mean to offend anyone but most of our stuff are so outdated compare to the other countries . cell phone is one of them !