E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Retrofit for HD Radio?

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 05:20 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 E63, loaded, 6M, Sport, CIC/combox, DIRAC retrofitted.
Thumbs up

This is for any of you who know the MOST audio programming fairly well. My car is a 2007 550i that does NOT have Logic7. It now has sat radio and OEM ipod kits dealer-installed. Wanting to add HD radio, I have obtained the IBOC (HD) radio tuner module with antenna splitter and required brackets to install it in left rear of trunk. I did not find any extra fiber optic drops or power/antenna drops back there once the sat radio kit was installed - car had sat radio prep. So...do you know if HD radio can be a "retrofit" for my car? For MY 2007 it was a separate option you could order and not appraently tied to requiring that you also get Logic7. For MY 2008 the option order sheets seem to indicate that you had to choose Logic7 to order HD radio... I have the brochures for both years. Aayway, it would be cool to have HD radio in my car...
Old 12-21-2009, 05:26 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I'm not too sure about all of this but one thing I'll mention is that I think if you have HD radio, you lose the "all stations" feature of the radio. I assume that's not a big deal to most but I thought it might be important to know this because it may point to some sort of difference in the hardware (dual-tuner vs. single-tuner radio, etc.)

Hopefully, some of the audio and programming gurus will jump in here and help out...
Old 12-21-2009, 06:44 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Originally Posted by djcwardog' post='1077536
I'm not too sure about all of this but one thing I'll mention is that I think if you have HD radio, you lose the "all stations" feature of the radio. I assume that's not a big deal to most but I thought it might be important to know this because it may point to some sort of difference in the hardware (dual-tuner vs. single-tuner radio, etc.)

Hopefully, some of the audio and programming gurus will jump in here and help out...
Not sure what you mean - but wouldn't disabling the HD radio function in iDrive give you this feature?
Old 12-22-2009, 05:37 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by pukka' post='1077605' date='Dec 21 2009, 10:44 AM
Not sure what you mean - but wouldn't disabling the HD radio function in iDrive give you this feature?
I don't think so. The "all stations" feature is an improved version of "autostore". In order to have "alll stations", there needs to be two tuners -- one that you can listen to and the other one to constantly seek out and remember any stations that are able to be received. (As you drive, the second tuner will constantly remove any stations that became too weak and add new stations that weren't available before.) Autostore, on the other hand, uses only one tuner -- when you activate autostore, you can't listen to the radio while it's seeking out all the available stations. Once it's finished, the radio is available again.

My 2004 car (no HD radio) had "all stations" but my LCI (2008) car, with HD radio, only has the "autostore" feature. If I turn off the HD radio function, I still have "autostore", not "all stations". I always assumed that adding the HD radio tuner forced BMW to eliminate the second [non-HD] tuner for technical reasons but I have no real proof at this point...