E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Report on B&B Exhaust/Dinan Throttle Body

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2005 | 09:08 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Hi All:

I got my 545i on June 20th 05. Recently, I added B&B exhaust (second) and Dinan throttle body (first)--both installed by my dealer. I did not notice any performance difference with the throttle body, but Dinan claims only 8 HP. Since Dinan does careful dyno testing, I assume the HP are RWHP (but whatever). After adding the exhaust, I was able to discern a small performance difference--which is all I expected from the two additions.

Dinan claims that more (the usual suspects) add-ons will be available for the E60 at the end of September. I am planning to do all except, of course, the free-flow exhaust (unless I see a good reason to swap it for the B&. Presumably, I will do cold-air intake, programming (engine and automatic transmission), and MAF. I am shooting for a lbs/HP ratio of no worse than < 10. In this regard, removing the spare and jack saves about 37 lbs (why not with run flats and in town?). The B&B saves about 30 lbs.

Also, while not counting in the lbs/HP ratio I am light in relation to most (160 lbs). Finally, if one is obsessed, as I will be some of the time, one can keep his/her tank no more than half full--which, on average (sort of approximately), would save about 40 lbs, in relation to those who fill their tanks--which also would not count in the lbs/HP ratio.

Finally, I like the B&B very well. Like others, both my wife and I thought it was too loud at first. But, we both have adjusted very quickly. Now, I think it sounds extremely good--with one exception. I don't like the sound in 6th gear if trying to accelerate from below, say, 2K RPMs (simply crusing in 6th is fine if only a little below 2K).

I had been used to using 6th, with the automatic, since, when in "normal shift" mode, the auto shifts to 6th below 2K. Now, I use sport mode "only"--which does not shift to 6th below 2K. The B&B and sport mode work extremely well together--like they were made for each other. I also shift manually a great deal. From the sound, my take is that < 2K RPM is insufficient for the engine to be very happy if accelerating in 6th. Surprisingly, as mentioned, "normal shift" mode puts me there virtually all the time.

The B&B exhaust is a very, very nice piece--which looks great on, and from under, the car. Unfortunately, mine came with one tip scratched and the other tip dimpled. But, fortunately, I live near B&B so I have an appointment to have the tips replaced soon (no charge of course). Note that my dealer's tech had to bend the prongs (or whatever they are called) on the B&B slightly to get it to hang just right--which I expected.

Interestingly, the fellow who will be replacing my tips is Billy's chief mechanic. B&B fabrication is in a very nice building with state of the art equipment. Hanging out there for a while, touring, etc., should be interesting. The people there are very nice and customer oriented.

Any thoughts? Suggestions?
Old 08-30-2005 | 11:06 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i; Manual Shifter

Many of us in the forum also enjoy the harmonic sounds of the B&B exhaust.

I actually turn my radio off and just listen to the revs climb as I shift the gears (manually trans). Blipping the throttle to match revs is soooo much more fun now too.

Congrats on your purchase.
Old 08-31-2005 | 06:44 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Centurion' date='Aug 31 2005, 02:06 AM
Many of us in the forum also enjoy the harmonic sounds of the B&B exhaust.

I actually turn my radio off and just listen to the revs climb as I shift the gears (manually trans).? Blipping the throttle to match revs is soooo much more fun now too.

Congrats on your purchase.
[snapback]165472[/snapback]
Thank you for the congrat. I also often turn the radio off just to hear the sound.
Old 08-31-2005 | 09:55 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Thanks for the info. I have been thinking about the Dinan Throttle Body (along with exhaust and chip). You mentioned that you did not notice much performance difference, but do you notice any adverse effects of the Throttle plate?

Also, it sounds like most of the weight you removed was from the rear of the car. I have heard from some people that removing too much from the rear will effect the overall balance of the car. Have you noticed any of this?
Old 08-31-2005 | 10:11 AM
JDN
Contributors

donv, wouldn't a trade for the 550 be just as reasonable?
Old 08-31-2005 | 11:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

In the Sport mode I was not aware that the Step tranny shifted into 6th gear at all at any speed/RPM. Is that not the case?
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jsal' date='Aug 31 2005, 12:55 PM
Thanks for the info.? I have been thinking about the Dinan Throttle Body (along with exhaust and chip).? You mentioned that you did not notice much performance difference, but do you notice any adverse effects of the Throttle plate?

Also, it sounds like most of the weight you removed was from the rear of the car.? I have heard from some people that removing too much from the rear will effect the overall balance of the car.? Have you noticed any of this?
[snapback]165599[/snapback]
And, thank you for the interest.

I talked to BB this morning. I bought the exhaust knowing that the sound was good and not thinking much about HP. I assumed that the BB would produce as much HP as any other after market exhaust.

Today, BB indiciated that they believe that the exhaust probably yields 8-10 RWHP based primarily on their experience/dyno results with their other exhausts. Still, my modifications to date don't yield a great change in the lbs/HP ratio. I think being able to notice a change, albeit small, is pretty good since, for example, I don't think many could detect, say, a .2 second difference in 0-60 or in the quarter. I would be happy to get 2 tenths or more out of the modifications. That result alone would put the car pretty close to the 550i.

I have noticed no ill effects on the throttle plate or in handling. The car feels the same to me handling-wise. On the other hand, my "serious" performance driving is in a straight line. I can't imagine that 37 lbs would make much of a handling difference. Maybe it could make a slight difference to a good road-course driver.
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by JDN' date='Aug 31 2005, 01:11 PM
donv, wouldn't a trade for the 550 be just as reasonable?
[snapback]165613[/snapback]
Possibly yes. I will wait until they come out and think about a trade then. I always like the idea of being the underdog though--being a tad stealthtful. Assuming a good safe track, it is not much fun to beat someone in my Z06 when the outcome should be known a priori. It would be fun to beat a 550i and to beat, or come close to, for example, a C55, SRT-8, or CTS-V.
Old 08-31-2005 | 01:47 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by cobradav' date='Aug 31 2005, 02:57 PM
In the Sport mode I was not aware that the Step tranny shifted into 6th gear at all at any speed/RPM.? Is that not the case?
[snapback]165666[/snapback]
Mine readily shifts into 6th very frequently even below 2K RPMs using the "normal" shift mode. I didn't realize the engine was straining so much in 6th when accelerating without kicking down until I got the BB. Then, I could hear the strain--at least that's the way I interpret the somewhat unpleasant sound.

I have never had mine shift into 6th automatically in sport mode. Maybe it does at some speed/RPM, but I have not observed it doing so.
Old 08-31-2005 | 04:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 550i SMG

Congrats on your purchase! Thanks for the info, I am still compiling my with list for my next acquisistion. Any pics and sound bites you could post would be awesome!

Quick Reply: Report on B&B Exhaust/Dinan Throttle Body