5Series.net - Forums

5Series.net - Forums (https://5series.net/forums/)
-   E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/)
-   -   Replica Wheels vs. OEM Wheels -- Opinions (https://5series.net/forums/e60-e61-parts-accessories-mods-22/replica-wheels-vs-oem-wheels-opinions-33006/)

Chuck W. 11-01-2006 01:29 PM

I am looking at some replica 135 style wheels on eBay. They are a lot less than the OEM ones. I suspect there is a reason for this but would like to hear some of your opinions. TIA

530i_msport 11-01-2006 01:32 PM

i would avoid replicas for 2 reasons.

-Some do not look the same as oem
-and second if you want to keep the car for a long time which i think you will because you spent so much time and effort on it they will not last the same as oem IMO.

so we have quality and looks
and the decision is yours :thumbsup:

vegastrashed 11-01-2006 02:47 PM

OEM. More often than not, replicas are not as good as OEM.

Rizbel 11-01-2006 04:34 PM

I'd buy a used one in good condition before buying replica/knock-offs.

Matt BMW California 11-01-2006 05:51 PM

I bought replica 166 wheels - bought them on Ebay and really they werent all that much cheaper than QUAD_M pricing (he is a supplier on this site). When I finally got them, the finish was pretty sub-standard...the back side of the wheel is spray painted black (and not very well) instead of the factory finish...that was only the first disappointment. The wheels on the front side were pretty rough - pitted and really nothing better than 20' distance of capable as passing off as an OEM product.

If you plan on buying these wheels after spending your hard earned money on the BMW e60, you will be disappointed. Dont park beside the real deal either....I parked beside an OEM M5 yesterday and could not believe the difference in fit an finish.

I ordered factory wheels from Tony (QUAD_M) that are to arrive next week...my recommendation to you is pay the extra 25% up front and get the right quality first. Dont be like me....although, I can sell you a set of 166 replica wheels for a pretty good deal if my words of advice dont convince you. They will be going on Ebay shortly.

Good luck in your decision~!

61Mac11 11-01-2006 07:30 PM

You can't beat the quality of OEM.

lanikus 11-02-2006 07:26 AM

OEM only.

In my case (M167's), beside the high quality, the incredibble low weight is worth the money already!!

Cu Lanikus

olli_535d 11-02-2006 10:40 AM

had many replicas over the years on all sorts of BMW's.
Never had the slightest problem, but I might have been lucky, always used the same supplier, who is a buddy of mine and never used the really cheap far eastern copies.

As I change my wheels every spring ( I also use a seperate set of winter wheels) to new ones, longevity has never been in question for me.

Not the slightest problem on balance, shaking or whatsoever, but it still won't be a guarantee.

Chuck W. 11-02-2006 06:08 PM

Many thanks for the replies. I will look for a used set of OEM wheels.

pinguhk 11-02-2006 06:19 PM

19" Replica Wheels and they are doing fine, only 15% of the price of OEM`s
yes Replica Wheels are not that well made but they are still road safe, I want be racing on the track so why pay more just for the looks,
for this price I can change them every 2 years with new design, as for OEM I think most will not change them.

So it up to you what you buy, they is good and bad for both Rims