E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replica Wheels versus OEM's??

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:24 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2004 530i with the stock 17 inch wheels. I really want to get the M5 wheels (166's I think). I have found replica's for roughly 170/wheel (Ebay and Tirerack). Tirerack even has some 17 inch that look similar to the M5 wheel. Are there quality replica's out there or do I need to stick with oem's?? Any recommendation on quality replica dealers?? I am looking at these 17 inch's from tirerack.

http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseU...ht+Silver+Paint

I live in Dallas and my dealer (BMW of Dallas) said to stay away from chrome wheels as they tend to vibrate.

Any input greatly appreciated.
Old 04-04-2007, 07:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by kpatter' post='410384' date='Apr 4 2007, 10:24 PM
I have a 2004 530i with the stock 17 inch wheels. I really want to get the M5 wheels (166's I think). I have found replica's for roughly 170/wheel (Ebay and Tirerack). Tirerack even has some 17 inch that look similar to the M5 wheel. Are there quality replica's out there or do I need to stick with oem's?? Any recommendation on quality replica dealers?? I am looking at these 17 inch's from tirerack.

I live in Dallas and my dealer (BMW of Dallas) said to stay away from chrome wheels as they tend to vibrate.

I am also interested in Replicas. I saw some on Ebay...but did not make a move yet as I am not sure how they hold up...I was looking at some M167 replicas...unless someone has some they want sell for $1000K good condition of course? Any ideas?
Old 04-04-2007, 07:59 PM
Senior Members

I have been there and have to say that you get what you pay for. And I have not yet been able to find a replica that has the fit and feel and quality of OEM. They made the car and no place better to go to then the source. Replica is just that, does not have the quality or perfect fitted mold. plus the strenght of the rim is not as strong as OEM. I suggest saving it is what i have had to do but after many poor replicas, I could of had my OEM M rims alot sooner...Just my .02
Old 04-04-2007, 08:39 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by kpatter' post='410384' date='Apr 4 2007, 10:24 PM

Got some replicas on Ebay thru OE wheels. Decent. But one wheel had fairly annoying vibration and was transferred to the rear to hide the vibration. Replicas are just okay, the finish isn't as durable and ended up with alot of knicks or chips in the paint. Maybe just winter condition but I'd hesitate to go with these for a summer setup.
Old 04-05-2007, 07:50 AM
gpt
Senior Members

Do not, I repeat, do not the replica's. I got some and the depth is no where close to the OEM's. Also they have a tendency to have the clear coat flake off. Pony up the money for OEM's I wish I had.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by gpt' post='410506' date='Apr 5 2007, 08:50 AM
Do not, I repeat, do not the replica's. I got some and the depth is no where close to the OEM's. Also they have a tendency to have the clear coat flake off. Pony up the money for OEM's I wish I had.
cant beat the quality of oem.
Old 04-05-2007, 08:01 AM
Contributors

Go with OEM 166's. There's always someone replacing theirs with aftermarket wheels. You can get them for the same price you'd pay for replicas. If they're slightly blemished, you can have them refinished...and you'll be much happier with 19 inch rims!!!
Old 04-05-2007, 11:11 AM
Members

I have found some that I like at tirerack. I talked with them today at lunch for a while. They guarantee no vibration. I am looking at the 17" Borbet Type TS.

Anyone know where I can go to get a good used set of oem 166's??? I have looked all over. Nothing on ebay or the forum here for sale..

What would be a good price to sell my stock wheels and hew continental tires with 2000 miles on them?
Old 04-05-2007, 11:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E63 AMG | Obsidian Black | Schwarzes Nappa | Black BirdEye Maple | Premium II Package | Electronic Trunk Closer | Parktronic Engine: RPi/Powerchips custom ECU tune, RPi Ram Air Kit (BMC filter, scoops), RennTech Sport exhaust, secondary cats, charcoal and resonator delete, custom AAA x-pipe Exterior: 50% side windows / 35% rear window Formula One Pinnacle Series | Flat AMG hood emblem Suspension: Renntech Lowering Module Wheels/Tires: Radenergie R10, Falken FK452 245/30/20, Yokohama ADVAN Sport 285/25/20 ----------------------------------------- 2005 545i Sport SMG | Ti Grau | Schwarzes Dakota | Anthracite Maple | Logic 7 | Nav Engine: Custom AFE CAI, Superchips ECU remap, Sprint Booster, RDSport Dual Exhaust Conversion with Quad Pipes and X-pipe, 3 resonators deleted, 90mm tips! Exterior: M-Tech Aero kit | M5 Mirrors | M5 Rear Bumper | Trunk Lid Finisher | Vorsteiner decklid spoiler | 50% Formula One Pinnacle Tint Suspension and Brakes: Bilstein PSS9 coilovers, JBT BBK: 16" cross-drilled rotors, 8 piston and 15" cross-drilled rotors, 4 piston Wheels: VIP Modular VR 02 20x9F, 20x10R | Toyo T1R 245/30/20F, 285/25/20R Lights: PIAA 4150K Xtreme White Plus fog lights, AIB v3 MOST IMPORTANT: Hardwired V1; =) ED Date: 4/7/05, Re-delivery date: 5/21/05

m5board.com is always having 166s for sale.
Old 04-05-2007, 01:15 PM
Contributors

First, I would be happy to sell you my replica M5s if you want them (real cheap). They are sitting in my garage after I bought the OEMs to get rid of vibration.

Second, the OEMs are not that expensive. They costs $1600 (with shipping) if you get them from the right places (www.bmwwheels.com or M_Quad who is a very reputable seller on this site). There is also another issue to think about: Tires. You may save a few hundred dollars on the wheels and then spend $300 per tire if you get 19" wheels. If you get General Exclaims ($150/tire), you can more than make up for the wheel cost. Most of us like these tires and think they are very nice for quiet driving.

I too wanted to save a few dollars, but after spending $50k+ to get ultimate comfort, your real contact with the road is your wheels and tires.

If you get replicas, please ensure that they are 72.56mm inside diameter. If you end up with Chinese 74.1mm wheels, the vibration issue may be apparent.

Quick Reply: Replica Wheels versus OEM's??