E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Replica or OEM wheels

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

OK I'm kinda new at this, I was thinking of getting some different wheels for my '05 545. How can I really tell if I am getting OEM wheels or just replicas? I saw some online and the seller only knows they came off a 545 not if they were OEM or replica. What can I tell them to check for me before I commit to buying them and what should I be looking for so that I know I received the real deal? Do they have BMW or a part number stamped somewhere inside?
Old 04-22-2008, 10:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 Tit Silver 530i // Sport Package // M167 Style Rims // M-Technic Kit 2003 Tit Silver X5 3.0 (E53) - Wifey's 1991 Black 525i (E34) - Retired
Thumbs down

DO NOT BUY REPLICA! From personal experience, (if I were you) just go with OEM or invest in some nice rims if you have some
moola (i.g. VIP Modular, Hamann, ACS, etc...).

I should've ran the other way, but dumb me went ahead and bought the replicas. I did thorough research before I bought the rims,
but one thing that I didn't realize was the bore size. If it doesn't fit you need to get hubrings and some electrical tape to get rid of
vibration or minimize the affect.

***Beware*** Some salesmen aren't experienced enough with proper information and they are just going to sell you the rims to
make a buck or two. I bought mine from a company that advertises on here and bimmerfest, and I disappointed with the purchase overall.

Unfortunately, I'm still riding on my replicas with vibration and looking to buy OEMs this week. I am trying to get in on a group buy and
check out the link below if you are interested in a group buy:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=52908 *Need 5 more people*

As for the authentication, ask the person to give you a PIC of the stamped part number on the back of the BMW OEM rims. Check out this forum:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40550

Happy hunting and good luck... Don't make newbie mistakes like me, just do a lot of observations and don't make hasty decisions.

Originally Posted by Brit_in_NJ' post='566266' date='Apr 22 2008, 09:34 PM
OK I'm kinda new at this, I was thinking of getting some different wheels for my '05 545. How can I really tell if I am getting OEM wheels or just replicas? I saw some online and the seller only knows they came off a 545 not if they were OEM or replica. What can I tell them to check for me before I commit to buying them and what should I be looking for so that I know I received the real deal? Do they have BMW or a part number stamped somewhere inside?
Old 04-23-2008, 06:51 AM
Contributors

My Ride: '05 545 Titanium Silver, Black Leather - Nav, Logic 7, Cold weather. Mods: Carbon filter removed. M5 iDrive knob. Umnitza license plate LEDs. MP3 40% 3M tint ACS Anti-Roll(sway) bars RPI Scoop G-tech Pro RR CF Roundels CF Wheel caps

Great, thanks for the advice. I wasn't actually intending to get replicas I just wanted to avoid being duped into getting some thinking they were OEMs after reading some other people's issues with replicas. Don't think I could have spotted a replica even if it rolled over my foot. I have OEM style 116 I think... (17" '05 545 non sport package) 18" or 19" would be an improvement. Don't think I'd go for anything bigger too many pot holes around in north jersey.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:16 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by DRE530i' post='566324' date='Apr 23 2008, 02:19 AM
DO NOT BUY REPLICA! From personal experience, (if I were you) just go with OEM or invest in some nice rims if you have some
moola (i.g. VIP Modular, Hamann, ACS, etc...).

I should've ran the other way, but dumb me went ahead and bought the replicas. I did thorough research before I bought the rims,
but one thing that I didn't realize was the bore size. If it doesn't fit you need to get hubrings and some electrical tape to get rid of
vibration or minimize the affect.

***Beware*** Some salesmen aren't experienced enough with proper information and they are just going to sell you the rims to
make a buck or two. I bought mine from a company that advertises on here and bimmerfest, and I disappointed with the purchase overall.

Unfortunately, I'm still riding on my replicas with vibration and looking to buy OEMs this week. I am trying to get in on a group buy and
check out the link below if you are interested in a group buy:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=52908 *Need 5 more people*

As for the authentication, ask the person to give you a PIC of the stamped part number on the back of the BMW OEM rims. Check out this forum:
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=40550

Happy hunting and good luck... Don't make newbie mistakes like me, just do a lot of observations and don't make hasty decisions.
Please tell us where you bought your wheels. I got my replicas at Lake Shore. They vibrated violently. Then I got OEMs at BWMWHEELS.COM (had a shipping problem that they fixed later on).

Totally agree, save money by getting General Exclaim tires, don't save money on the wheels.
Old 04-23-2008, 07:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

IMO, go with OEM wheels...there are numerous threads about this discussion...

also, real oem's should have a "bbs" stamp on the inside of them....

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...amp;mode=linear
Old 04-23-2008, 08:38 AM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

the only reputable replicas are made by Miro (m6 reps) or the CSL (made by Velocity)