E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

replacement iDrive

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2012, 12:05 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read that you can purchase a refurbished/ reconstructed CCC iDrive from somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a link or contact info.

Does anyone know where I can get a reliable replacement of my CCC iDrive? It just conked off yesterday.

From what I understand, you can replace the iDrive, but need to have a the dealer reprogramm/reset it to the car, is that correct?

Thanks for the help.

MHK
05 545 MT
Old 07-13-2012, 12:57 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by MHK545
I read that you can purchase a refurbished/ reconstructed CCC iDrive from somewhere, but I haven't been able to find a link or contact info.

Does anyone know where I can get a reliable replacement of my CCC iDrive? It just conked off yesterday.

From what I understand, you can replace the iDrive, but need to have a the dealer reprogramm/reset it to the car, is that correct?

Thanks for the help.

MHK
05 545 MT
Not sure about refurb units - but used/wreck pulls are available on ebay. The CD/DVD units, as well as the screen, are being sold.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:50 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

If you find a used unit it will be better for you. What stopped working the CID or the actual unit and are you sure you have a CCC or M-ASK?
Old 07-16-2012, 12:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by advancedlogic
Not sure about refurb units - but used/wreck pulls are available on ebay. The CD/DVD units, as well as the screen, are being sold.

I would still need to get these reprogrammed by the dealer after i install it, correct?

Thanks for the reply

MHK
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
ct
If you find a used unit it will be better for you. What stopped working the CID or the actual unit and are you sure you have a CCC or M-ASK?
I'm not sure exactly what stopped working, but what I see is the screen is blank. I hear the fan going but I guess that might be on a separate circuit. I tried the eject/ power button reset, but nothing happens. I can't eject any of the CD/DVD's.

Sorry I'm pretty new to all this, I think I have a CCC, but I don't really know what a M-ASK is. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

MHK
Old 07-16-2012, 12:55 PM
Members

Originally Posted by AchtungE60
ct
I'm not sure exactly what stopped working, but what I see is the screen is blank. I hear the fan going but I guess that might be on a separate circuit. I tried the eject/ power button reset, but nothing happens. I can't eject any of the CD/DVD's.

Sorry I'm pretty new to all this, I think I have a CCC, but I don't really know what a M-ASK is. Any advise would be very much appreciated.

MHK
Old 07-17-2012, 02:17 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

CCC if you have Navigation and M-ask if you don't.

I would find out exactly what the issue is before you run out and just start buying stuff, unless you have the M-ask and want to upgrade to Navigation. If it turns out to be the screen that is bag, thats a simple replacement. If the main unit is bad that is also easy to replace but a little more pricey. A used replacement unit should work depending on what options it was setup with in the original car and what options you have. But I am sure there will be some minimal coding needed. You can find a complete nav system for your car used from 500-1000, but typically around 800.00.
Old 07-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Members

Originally Posted by tonyb635
CCC if you have Navigation and M-ask if you don't.

I would find out exactly what the issue is before you run out and just start buying stuff, unless you have the M-ask and want to upgrade to Navigation. If it turns out to be the screen that is bag, thats a simple replacement. If the main unit is bad that is also easy to replace but a little more pricey. A used replacement unit should work depending on what options it was setup with in the original car and what options you have. But I am sure there will be some minimal coding needed. You can find a complete nav system for your car used from 500-1000, but typically around 800.00.

Then I definitely have a CCC as I have navigation. To me it seems like the unit is bad, but how can I be sure its not just the screen? I figured if the unit doesn't eject the CD/DVD, it must be bad, but advise or confirmation would be appreciated.

If I need to buy a unit, do I have to make sure it is compatible with all the features my car has (park assist, bluetooth, etc...) Or is that taken care of when I get it reprogrammed by the dealer?

Thanks for the replies and the help. Much appreciated.

MHK

Update: Another question from a novice, but is it at all possible to have this existing unit fixed? What is the component in the unit that normally fails? Such as the hard drive or something as such.
Old 07-17-2012, 08:55 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.
By not being able to eject is a problem but it doesn't really say whether the system bad other than that point or the screen itself. If it were me, I would make sure all of my fuses were good. There are two locations, glove box and right side trunk. I'm thinking the screen fuse is in the trunk, but to be safe, I would put my eyes on every fuse! If you find a blown fuse, replace it. If you still have no screen then I would try and locate someone with an e60 and see if you can swap their screen into your car. This might be a little hard if you don't know anyone. Other than this, you would have to get a hold of test equipment to see if you can determine if it?s working correctly. None of this will help the eject side though, just the screen. There is someone in CA that repairs the units but I don't know who. I came across this on our forum a while back. Maybe someone else can add that. Or, you need to shop around for a used CCC unit. If you go same year it should be a plug and play with very minor updating. A dealer will probably not help you unless they make the repair but you might find a indy shop near you or perhaps someone here with coding knowledge can help you. Where do you live?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2006-BMW-E60...f33c8b&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Sat-Nav-...279a0c&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-PROFESSI...671ce9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-E60-E61-...item2572e26441
Old 07-17-2012, 09:03 AM
Members

I live around Philadelphia, PA. Just want to get the lowest cost fix for this.

I'll check the fuses today. I did take out the unit to see if it there some loose wires or anything, and noticed a fuse on the back of the unit, but it looked good.

Thanks for the input.

MHK

Quick Reply: replacement iDrive