E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Remus Dual (Quad) Exhaust System / 550i

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 04:25 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550i Sport

Thought I'd share some quick cell phone pics of my new exhaust setup:

- Remus PowerSound Dual Exhaust System with 3.31" quad tips
- OEM rear diffuser custom fabricated with second exhaust outlet

vid with audio is coming....
Old 02-23-2011, 05:14 PM
Members

Originally Posted by xcntrk

Very nice, been looking for an exhaust upgrade option and this one fits my bill - thanks for sharing.
So now that you have my interest, could you please share your bumper fabrication and Remus install details - i'm dying to know!
Thanks in advance!
Old 02-24-2011, 04:24 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BigMouthWomen
So now that you have my interest, could you please share your bumper fabrication and Remus install details
Sure...

I had a west-coast vendor on here (who shall remain nameless) fabricate the rear diffuser. Basically they started with a new factory M-tech diffuser and made an exact cutout opening on the right side. Since the original part is OEM, fitment is 100% perfect. The downside is the cost for this custom work and overall I was not pleased with this vendor or overall quality.

They did a fantastic job with the actual fabrication, the new cutout is perfectly symmetrical to the original cutout, and the lip around the cutout is perfectly contoured as well. The downside however is the materials they used, basic body filler, was not the right material for a plastic body panel. When the diffuser arrived well packaged in the mail, it already had a small stress crack along the custom bodywork (stressed from shipping). Later when I had the diffuser installed, I had the body shop repair that crack and repaint (since my whole rear bumper was being repainted anyway). The diffuser was back to 100%. When they went to install it, bam another crack! Turns out the filler/molding material used by the original vendor was not the right materials for plastic and everytime the diffuser flexes, it's prone to crack. So only time will tell how it holds up under the environmental conditions of sun, snow, rain, and heat from the exhaust tips.

If I had it to do again (and for the cost I've invested) I would just find a local body shop who could do the same custom work and ensure they use the right materials.

As for the exhaust, the Remus kit is designed for the 5 series. There was a bit of modification required as this kit does not fit the 545/550. On the 550i, the center muffler (near the axle) is oddly shaped with 3" diameter tubing that is sort of "ovaled" and not round. Meanwhile the axle-back Remus kit is slightly below 3" and round. So the exhaust shop had to customize a union to fit the two together. The rest of the kit was all bolt on.
Old 02-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Members

Sure...

I had a west-coast vendor on here (who shall remain nameless) fabricate the rear diffuser. Basically they started with a new factory M-tech diffuser and made an exact cutout opening on the right side. Since the original part is OEM, fitment is 100% perfect. The downside is the cost for this custom work and overall I was not pleased with this vendor or overall quality.

They did a fantastic job with the actual fabrication, the new cutout is perfectly symmetrical to the original cutout, and the lip around the cutout is perfectly contoured as well. The downside however is the materials they used, basic body filler, was not the right material for a plastic body panel. When the diffuser arrived well packaged in the mail, it already had a small stress crack along the custom bodywork (stressed from shipping). Later when I had the diffuser installed, I had the body shop repair that crack and repaint (since my whole rear bumper was being repainted anyway). The diffuser was back to 100%. When they went to install it, bam another crack! Turns out the filler/molding material used by the original vendor was not the right materials for plastic and everytime the diffuser flexes, it's prone to crack. So only time will tell how it holds up under the environmental conditions of sun, snow, rain, and heat from the exhaust tips.

If I had it to do again (and for the cost I've invested) I would just find a local body shop who could do the same custom work and ensure they use the right materials.

As for the exhaust, the Remus kit is designed for the 5 series. There was a bit of modification required as this kit does not fit the 545/550. On the 550i, the center muffler (near the axle) is oddly shaped with 3" diameter tubing that is sort of "ovaled" and not round. Meanwhile the axle-back Remus kit is slightly below 3" and round. So the exhaust shop had to customize a union to fit the two together. The rest of the kit was all bolt on.
Got it! So what happened to your original m-tech diffuser?
Old 02-24-2011, 06:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Bmw
Model Year: 2006

Coool
Old 02-24-2011, 09:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

Very nice upgrade! How's the low end torque?
Old 02-24-2011, 10:33 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: '04 E61 525d TITANGRAU II METALLIC (A36) LEDER DAKOTA/BEIGE 3 (LCBA) SIDE AIRBAG FOR REAR PASSENGERS ALARM SYSTEM ROOF RAIL SUNBLINDS FOR REAR SIDE WINDOWS, MECH FLOOR MATS, VELOUR INT/EXT RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE INTERIOR RR VW MIRROR W AUT ANTI-DAZZLE WOOD TRIM CUPHOLDER SEAT HEATING F DRIVER/FRONT PASSENGER HEADLIGHT WASHER SYSTEM PARK DISTANCE CONTROL (PDC) XENON LIGHT ADAPTIVE HEADLIGHTS AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONING CRUISE CONTROL NAVIGATION SYSTEM PROFESSIONAL CAR TELEPHONE PROFESSIONAL CD CHANGER BMW FOR 6 CDS

Sure...

Nice looking exhaust!

I did roughly the same thing with the diffuser. I used two standard OEM diffusers to make one with two cut-outs for a L/R exhaust. I did use flexible body filler however.

Here you can see the proces of making it.

I also purchased a Remus L/R exhaust but the one for 6L engines. Tomorrow it will be fitted to the car. I hope it will look as good as yours.
Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM
Members

Originally Posted by sevenup_guy
Very nice upgrade! How's the low end torque?
Low end torque feels unchanged. I assume you're referring to those users who report a loss in torque (due to relaxed backpressure) when going with a dual setup? One thing that's different with the Remus system is that it's actually more of a single exhaust setup (one large muffler) with a separate carrier pipe that plumbs the passenger side outlet. Unlike other custom dual setups which run from before the Y pipe all the way out and typically only use straight thru can style mufflers with little back pressure.

But overall aside from a change in the note, I honestly don't feel any more power. But the change in exhaust note itself is enough to make me "think" I have an extra 100 ponies under the hood!

Originally Posted by Bimmerstyle
Nice looking exhaust! I did roughly the same thing with the diffuser. I used two standard OEM diffusers to make one with two cut-outs for a L/R exhaust. I did use flexible body filler however. Here you can see the proces of making it.I also purchased a Remus L/R exhaust but the one for 6L engines. Tomorrow it will be fitted to the car. I hope it will look as good as yours.
Thanks! I book marked your diffuser fabrication in case mine ever has to be redone down the road.
Old 02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 e60 M5 Replica Titanium Silver Premium Package Premium Sound Package Adaptive Xenon's Apple iPhone cell interactive pared with iDrive Bluetooth setting 19 inch BMW OEM 166M rims, Michelin tires Sprint Booster - V2 Fidelity / BMW Extended Warranty 7 year / 100,000 miles

_____

Nice!!!!
Old 02-28-2011, 08:37 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 Alpine White 535xi no mods yet...

Would this work on a 08 535xi?

Quick Reply: Remus Dual (Quad) Exhaust System / 550i