E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Remus on a 550i...

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2007, 09:45 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

Well i tryed putting on a remus muffler that was originally ordered for a 545i... purchased from a forum member (jet190rs).

The piping on a 550i is completely different from a 545i... it starts out oval and then gets rounder where the cut off point would be for the OEM muffler.
The clamp provided with the remus does not fit over the stock piping.

Basically in conclusion the remus muffler is not a "bolt on" for the 550i... welding will be required and by the looks of thing it would actually be a downgrade for the 550i resulting in horsepower loss because the diameter on the remus is smaller then the diameter on the OEM piping.

Anyone else encountered this problem? Is the piping really different from the 545i and 550i or is my car a special case?
Old 11-04-2007, 11:21 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550 SMG

I have a B&B on my 550 that came from a 545. Yes the piping diameters are a little different, but not enough to loose horsepower. The good thing is that after you install it, and in the future want to sell it, it will be ready for a 550 or 545..
Old 11-04-2007, 04:31 PM
Members

My Ride: Fully Loaded Monaco Blue 550i Sport

Originally Posted by katheikia' post='489872' date='Nov 4 2007, 03:21 PM
I have a B&B on my 550 that came from a 545. Yes the piping diameters are a little different, but not enough to loose horsepower. The good thing is that after you install it, and in the future want to sell it, it will be ready for a 550 or 545..
Remus advertised their muffler as a clamp on muffler after you cut off your oem exhaust and since i don't want to weld i went with the remus but i can see why mistake was made... BMW has the same part numbers for the 545i and the 550i mufflers.

I also believe there is a slight power loss since your limiting exhaust flow when it gets to the remus pipes because they are smaller in diameter... can someone confirm this though?
Old 11-26-2007, 10:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by NY550i' post='489983' date='Nov 4 2007, 05:31 PM
Remus advertised their muffler as a clamp on muffler after you cut off your oem exhaust and since i don't want to weld i went with the remus but i can see why mistake was made... BMW has the same part numbers for the 545i and the 550i mufflers.

I also believe there is a slight power loss since your limiting exhaust flow when it gets to the remus pipes because they are smaller in diameter... can someone confirm this though?
Great question.

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on the Remus for 08 550. After reading for hours about exhausts and performance/torque loss, I am wondering how much power/torque loss will come from installing this muffler?

Thanks for any and all help.

So Cal
Old 11-27-2007, 02:28 AM
Senior Members

According to Remus Austria :

"Your customer is right - it is possible that the original connection is a little bit oval but according to our technician it is no problem to mount (our diameter is a bit bigger) and fix it with the clamp (without any leaks)."
Old 11-27-2007, 03:49 PM
AlB
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NY550i' post='489824' date='Nov 4 2007, 01:45 PM
Well i tryed putting on a remus muffler that was originally ordered for a 545i... purchased from a forum member (jet190rs).

The piping on a 550i is completely different from a 545i... it starts out oval and then gets rounder where the cut off point would be for the OEM muffler.
The clamp provided with the remus does not fit over the stock piping.

Basically in conclusion the remus muffler is not a "bolt on" for the 550i... welding will be required and by the looks of thing it would actually be a downgrade for the 550i resulting in horsepower loss because the diameter on the remus is smaller then the diameter on the OEM piping.

Anyone else encountered this problem? Is the piping really different from the 545i and 550i or is my car a special case?
I will give you some educated guesses right now with more definitive info to follow in a few days:

I just received a Remus exhaust for the 550. I have not installed it yet but have held it up to the stock system to see how it will fit. The muffler inlet piping circumference is about 10 3/4" and perfectly round. The stock piping circumference is about 10 1/2" and somewhat oval in shape. I can't measure the stock diameter because I have not cut it yet but it appears the remus inlet piping will slide over the stock piping. The only issue I see at this point is how the oval and round shapes will fit up without leaking. I received an extremely heavy duty clamp with the muffler and hope that it will form a good seal. I have some good exhaust guys so I will get a straightforward opinion before I start cutting.

The muffler you have is probably for the 545i and I can understand your issue. You may be able to use a pipe expander to make it fit.

I will get back later with more info.

al
Old 11-27-2007, 09:04 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 Silver 535i Virgin--Becoming a Beast!

Originally Posted by AlB' post='499759' date='Nov 27 2007, 04:49 PM
I will give you some educated guesses right now with more definitive info to follow in a few days:

I just received a Remus exhaust for the 550. I have not installed it yet but have held it up to the stock system to see how it will fit. The muffler inlet piping circumference is about 10 3/4" and perfectly round. The stock piping circumference is about 10 1/2" and somewhat oval in shape. I can't measure the stock diameter because I have not cut it yet but it appears the remus inlet piping will slide over the stock piping. The only issue I see at this point is how the oval and round shapes will fit up without leaking. I received an extremely heavy duty clamp with the muffler and hope that it will form a good seal. I have some good exhaust guys so I will get a straightforward opinion before I start cutting.

The muffler you have is probably for the 545i and I can understand your issue. You may be able to use a pipe expander to make it fit.

al
Thanks bro. Your data is eagerly anticipated.

Is there anyway you can dyno your car before and after the install to understand any torq loss/performance loss/gain?

Good luck.

So Cal
Old 11-28-2007, 09:21 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SoCalM5Mang' post='499912' date='Nov 28 2007, 01:04 AM
Thanks bro. Your data is eagerly anticipated.

Is there anyway you can dyno your car before and after the install to understand any torq loss/performance loss/gain?

Good luck.

So Cal
Dude any small loss of hp/torque or gain of such would be not really relevent on 2 seperate dyno runs. 2 runs can fluctuate 5-10 hp every single time which is more loss or gain you would get from an exhaust.

Also a Remus exhaust will not decrease power. Its not like your doing straight pipes here. With an intake, remus and software tune I gained 15 rwp on the dyno so I would not expect you to see any loss on your car even though I have an I6.
Old 11-28-2007, 12:36 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: '05 545i - scheduled for ED pickup in Munich on 7/22!

Originally Posted by AlB' post='499759' date='Nov 27 2007, 07:49 PM

al
It seems that Remus makes only 1 muffler for both 545 and 550.
If your's doesn't directly fit, Remus now has adapters for the 550 inlet pipe -
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?s=&sho...st&p=493213
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=47137&hl=
Old 11-28-2007, 12:48 PM
Senior Members

ALB purchased the exhaust from us, he's looking into installing it.
The connecting pipe is for the 545i, according to Remus AT, for the 550i it's only a matter of slipping it over the OEM pipe as how diameter is slightly bigger. You can fix it with our clamps without any leaks.

Quick Reply: Remus on a 550i...