E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Red rear turn signal bulb...

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2011, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After some research, it seems that we use 7507's in our rear turn signal socket. I was wondering if anyone had experience replacing the amber with red. All I seem to be able to find are red led's (which are fine). After a bit more research it seems I may be able to use a 7506 bulb as well (according to sylvania's website anyways), which allows more options in bulb choices. My main question is what kind (if any) of a resistor is needed, and is there an easier way to get this done that I am perhaps overlooking.

Thanks in advance!
-Erik
Old 04-10-2011, 11:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

I changed all the rear lights in mine to red LED's (32 SMD or something) except for the turn signal (changed that one to an invisi-bulb), it's illegal here in CA to have turn signals other than amber. Surprisingly, there's 3 bulbs on each tailight, plus 1 for the signal, and 1 for the reverse!!!! Very costly to change both sides to LEDs, I had to order 6 LED bulbs total, unbelieveable!

I'm getting a tail-light out warning on my dash, haven't figured out how to wire in resistors for those since it's all one big plug (5-6 wires). Didnt have an issue wiring my reverse LEDs, two wires were easy to tap. I'd think changing the amber turn signal to LED would also throw an error message, but those are easy to tap since there are two wires leading to the bulb (they're grey colored).

Goodluck!
Old 04-11-2011, 01:25 PM
Members

Which bulb did you use for the turn signal? Do you remember?

Thanks!
-Erik
Old 04-11-2011, 02:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 525i sedan | Titanium Silver Exterior | Black Leather Interior | Premium Package | Sports Package

red bulbs that are NOT led looks pink when lit up
Old 04-11-2011, 02:52 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by ck-e60
I changed all the rear lights in mine to red LED's (32 SMD or something) except for the turn signal (changed that one to an invisi-bulb), it's illegal here in CA to have turn signals other than amber. Surprisingly, there's 3 bulbs on each tailight, plus 1 for the signal, and 1 for the reverse!!!! Very costly to change both sides to LEDs, I had to order 6 LED bulbs total, unbelieveable!

I'm getting a tail-light out warning on my dash, haven't figured out how to wire in resistors for those since it's all one big plug (5-6 wires). Didnt have an issue wiring my reverse LEDs, two wires were easy to tap. I'd think changing the amber turn signal to LED would also throw an error message, but those are easy to tap since there are two wires leading to the bulb (they're grey colored).

Goodluck!
C'mon by to ECFest and I'll code out those errors for you. Also, I can tell you how to wire the resistors if you do actually want to put them in.

And no, I have to correct your false propaganda. It is not illegal to have turn signals other than orange/amber in California. In the front, you can have white or amber, and rear is red or amber.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:16 PM
Contributors

I was going to say nomis_nehc will code it for you where you don't need resistors
Old 04-11-2011, 03:30 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i - GONE

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
C'mon by to ECFest and I'll code out those errors for you. Also, I can tell you how to wire the resistors if you do actually want to put them in.

And no, I have to correct your false propaganda. It is not illegal to have turn signals other than orange/amber in California. In the front, you can have white or amber, and rear is red or amber.
Really!?!? Well son of a....I thought it was always illegal to have non-amber colors on turn signals! Well, time to out the old and in some new LEDs!

I'm gonna try to make it to the night portion of ECFest, I can't go during the day because I have to work till 2:30pm.

Thanks Simon!
Old 04-11-2011, 03:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

Originally Posted by ck-e60
Really!?!? Well son of a....I thought it was always illegal to have non-amber colors on turn signals! Well, time to out the old and in some new LEDs!

I'm gonna try to make it to the night portion of ECFest, I can't go during the day because I have to work till 2:30pm.

Thanks Simon!
Well, the LCI tails's signals are red, so that should tell you something, lol.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:11 PM
Members

So anyone know what bulbs/resistors I need?

-Erik
Old 04-13-2011, 12:22 PM
Members

Surely someone knows what is needed?

-Erik

I was looking at these and these thoughts?

Quick Reply: Red rear turn signal bulb...