E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RDsport Carbon Air Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2009, 03:56 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i Executive

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/RDSport-Per...sQ5fAccessories

"The RD Intake is a complete replacement of the original BMW unit and increases flow by utilizing a Dacron? air filter.

The Carbonfiber cone creates a RAM effect that increases flow to the filter element and creates positive air pressure in the unit, thus improving engine performance.

This unit was originally designed for the Z4 and E46 Application (All Models except the M-Coupe and M3). However many customers have installed this product onto their E34 M5's, this install requires drilling the Intake in order to keep the location of the sensor on the OEM BMW Unit that is replaced."
Old 10-25-2009, 09:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

All I know is that a similar system by AFE was proven to cause loss of HP at the wheels. It is generally thought that the loss was due to the fact that the ambient temperatures under the hood of our cars (especially the 6 cylinder ones) are higher than most other vehicles and such a "cold" air intake would suck in the air from the engine compartment area, which would mean hotter combustion temperature and less power. I got the RPI scoop + BMC filter upgrade and I can attest to it being a legit upgrade - car does pull noticably harder now. Money very well spent

I'm also planning to heat-wrap the intake tubing and the underside of the airbox to further reduce the combustion temps. You may also want to wrap the manifolds, all the intake and exhaust tubing and piping under the hood and the fuel lines - these seemingly simple mods will add real power by reducing your combustion temperature a few degrees - how many? I don't know, but enough to feel it - that's for sure.