E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

RD Sport Quad Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 07:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Gray / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Dakota Black Leather / Options: Navigation, SAT Radio, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter Sprint Booster VMR Rims V710 19x9.5 ET45 Hyper Silver (rear) VMR Rims V710 19x8.5 ET35 Hyper Silver (front) Tires: General Exclaim 275/30/19 (rear) Tires: General Exclaim 245/35/19 (front) BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors BMW M-tech Complete Body Kit w/LCI & no PDC Hamann Splitter Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler BMW M5 E60 BMW Black Grills E60 BMW Shadow Trim BMW Carbon Fiber Roundells - E60 Angel Eyes (GP Thunder Bulb H8 8500K)

I have purchased the RD Sport exhaust from EuroRev. I haven't received it yet, but it will be shipped with the rest of my new parts.

I just had an interesting conversation with an exhaust "expert" at a local performance shop. He likes the RD Sport exhaust and said that it will sound great, and not too loud as is. He noted that the RD Sport exhaust that I'm purchasing was designed for the v8, and later the retrofit pipes were added as an option to make it work on the twin turbo. He doesn't like the idea of the x-pipe being part of the exhaust on a twin turbo and said it's completely unnecessary. On a turbo, he would rather see two straight thru exhausts... cats, pipe, muffler, & tips.

He asked me what the purpose of the x-pipe for my configuration would be... I don't know... Does anyone have a reason of why this is part of the engineering?
Attached Thumbnails RD Sport Quad Exhaust-rdsport01.jpg  
Old 01-29-2009, 07:48 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 08 535i, A/T & Paddle Shifters, AW, NB Leather, Sport, Premium, Nav, 6FL

I'm no expert but from what AMS tuning mentioned on their exhaust research, a complete divorced turbo back exhaust will benefit the N54. Any other setup won't give as much gain or might even lose power. Make sure you dyno before and after. It's critical that you do this since it's the only way to find out if you're losing power or not. Anyway, keep us posted on your results and post a video clip. Good luck!

Also, the pic you have above is a dual exhaust quad tip setup. Not a true quad setup. Cheers!
Old 01-29-2009, 06:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535xi / Platinum Gray / Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Dakota Black Leather / Options: Navigation, SAT Radio, Bluetooth, IPOD adapter Sprint Booster VMR Rims V710 19x9.5 ET45 Hyper Silver (rear) VMR Rims V710 19x8.5 ET35 Hyper Silver (front) Tires: General Exclaim 275/30/19 (rear) Tires: General Exclaim 245/35/19 (front) BMW Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors BMW M-tech Complete Body Kit w/LCI & no PDC Hamann Splitter Vorsteiner Decklid Spoiler BMW M5 E60 BMW Black Grills E60 BMW Shadow Trim BMW Carbon Fiber Roundells - E60 Angel Eyes (GP Thunder Bulb H8 8500K)

I may have trouble finding an all wheel dyno, and I've been told to be prepared for lower overall readings on the 4-wheel dyno.

Back to the x-pipe... Based on what I'm hearing, for the N54 engine, it sounds like it would be of benefit to take the x-pipe out. If I'm understanding some of what has been told to me, and what I have read on the forum, the x-pipe on a turbo (twin-turbo) engine will be louder (which I really don't want) and lose HP.

Your thoughts?
Old 01-29-2009, 06:43 PM
Contributors

My Ride: No mods

Originally Posted by jusdoit' post='780721' date='Jan 29 2009, 07:30 PM
I may have trouble finding an all wheel dyno, and I've been told to be prepared for lower overall readings on the 4-wheel dyno.

Back to the x-pipe... Based on what I'm hearing, for the N54 engine, it sounds like it would be of benefit to take the x-pipe out. If I'm understanding some of what has been told to me, and what I have read on the forum, the x-pipe on a turbo (twin-turbo) engine will be louder (which I really don't want) and lose HP.

Your thoughts?
Steven...its John. PM MacFly or dbae1978 (they know alot for the x35 engine)
Old 01-29-2009, 09:03 PM
Senior Members

Like your name says, 'just do it'

I don't think having an X-Pipe would be a negative impact on your car. The purpose of an X-Pipe is to maintain/improve your low end torque especially when you're modifying your exhaust to a dual/quad setup from single. So it shouldn't cause you to lose HP, whoever says that is wrong. The X-Pipe helps keeps the pressure so that there's not too much freeflow on your exhaust which will cause you to lose torque at high speeds.

FYI, I have the RDSport Quad exhaust setup with X-pipe installed on my V8 550i. I've even removed the middle resonator and I still think its pretty quiet compared to the other exhausts like eissenman. If you want this exhaust and afraid of it being too loud then keep the middle resonator on. I think you'll be pretty happy with the result.

Good luck

Originally Posted by jusdoit' post='780161' date='Jan 29 2009, 10:40 AM
I have purchased the RD Sport exhaust from EuroRev. I haven't received it yet, but it will be shipped with the rest of my new parts.

I just had an interesting conversation with an exhaust "expert" at a local performance shop. He likes the RD Sport exhaust and said that it will sound great, and not too loud as is. He noted that the RD Sport exhaust that I'm purchasing was designed for the v8, and later the retrofit pipes were added as an option to make it work on the twin turbo. He doesn't like the idea of the x-pipe being part of the exhaust on a twin turbo and said it's completely unnecessary. On a turbo, he would rather see two straight thru exhausts... cats, pipe, muffler, & tips.

He asked me what the purpose of the x-pipe for my configuration would be... I don't know... Does anyone have a reason of why this is part of the engineering?
Old 01-29-2009, 09:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: See sig :)

Originally Posted by jcool10181' post='780168' date='Jan 29 2009, 08:48 AM
I'm no expert but from what AMS tuning mentioned on their exhaust research, a complete divorced turbo back exhaust will benefit the N54. Any other setup won't give as much gain or might even lose power. Make sure you dyno before and after. It's critical that you do this since it's the only way to find out if you're losing power or not. Anyway, keep us posted on your results and post a video clip. Good luck!

Also, the pic you have above is a dual exhaust quad tip setup. Not a true quad setup. Cheers!

Correct me if I am wrong, their is no such thing as a "true quad setup" If there was that would mean theres 4 exhaust pipes from the headers to the back. In most if not all quad setups, there are 2 pipes from the cats to the back, than mufflers, and quad tips.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:33 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tbal' post='780904' date='Jan 29 2009, 11:18 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, their is no such thing as a "true quad setup" If there was that would mean theres 4 exhaust pipes from the headers to the back. In most if not all quad setups, there are 2 pipes from the cats to the back, than mufflers, and quad tips.
Yeah I think you're right. All quad setups are dual exhaust with quad tips. I think manufacturers will find a hard time fitting 4 pipes under a car
Old 01-30-2009, 07:51 PM
Contributors

OK - OK It's a dual exhaust, quad tip! I'm getting conflicting information on whether the x-pipe should, or should not be installed on the 535xi (N54) twin turbo engine. Leading indicators are pointing to no... Does anyone know the diameter of the RD Sport pipe? 2.5"... 3"... ??

There really isn't a lot written about this... I'm beginning to think my quest for true dual exhaust (no-cat back) on the 535i engine was a dumb idea. If I hadn't already purchased the RD Sport exhaust, I would probably have gone with the Dinan Free Flow exhaust.
Old 01-30-2009, 10:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545iA - Built date 09/03, Sport Package, Alpine White III, Grey Interior, Cold Weather Package, PDC, Rear Electric Sunshades, Comfort Seats, Logic 7, Chromed BMW Style 124 18x8, 18x9 Wheels, M-Tech Aero Kit, Rear Trunk Decklid Spoiler, Tinted Windows, Valentine One Modifications: RDSport Quad Exhaust, 20x8.5 and 20x11 HRE 943R, Vorsteiner CF Decklid, Dinan CAI

Have you spoken with Federico at RDSport? He is the owner of RDSport and is very well verse and technically oriented on how his products work. His phone number is (877) RDSPORT, (949) 325-4100.

RDSport's website: http://65.36.231.74/Localized/NorthA...D_NA_Intro.cfm
Old 01-30-2009, 11:11 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by remuse' post='781667' date='Jan 30 2009, 11:31 PM
Have you spoken with Federico at RDSport? He is the owner of RDSport and is very well verse and technically oriented on how his products work. His phone number is (877) RDSPORT, (949) 325-4100.

RDSport's website: http://65.36.231.74/Localized/NorthA...D_NA_Intro.cfm

+1 for asking Federico. He will be able to answer your question much more accurately than we can...
Good lUck

Quick Reply: RD Sport Quad Exhaust