E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 10:00 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Originally Posted by v_therussian
You still riding on stock shocks/struts? My Bilsteins are about 4 times thicker than stocks in the front, so while they are ABSOLUTELY INSANE for cornering, they crash like crazy over imperfections on the road. I don't mind, I've learned how to drive on them. But every now and then I just wish for, like, an X6 with adaptive drive, so I don't have to worry about a thing and just GOOOOOOO!
Yeah everything is stock just changed the springs .. atleast we can still plow through the snow like an x6 lol I'm thinking about putting bags on my car in the future that's why I didn't get coilovers or the bilsteins struts .. when I drive my cars going to be highest lol when its parked or on the highway ill drop it the beauty of air bags
Old 07-21-2011, 11:29 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by itz CracK
Yeah everything is stock just changed the springs .. atleast we can still plow through the snow like an x6 lol I'm thinking about putting bags on my car in the future that's why I didn't get coilovers or the bilsteins struts .. when I drive my cars going to be highest lol when its parked or on the highway ill drop it the beauty of air bags
I've never messed with bags, too scared

But no, I am 100% sure that my Xi will be like a beached whale on snow. I'm really hoping I can still take it to the skiing trips, but man, I'm not too optimistic about it...
Old 07-22-2011, 04:49 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 titanium silver metallic Like new 41k Cold Weather Package

Originally Posted by v_therussian
I've never messed with bags, too scared

But no, I am 100% sure that my Xi will be like a beached whale on snow. I'm really hoping I can still take it to the skiing trips, but man, I'm not too optimistic about it...
I'm on stock shocks with mine, corners great and I don't have problems like you. Sounds like these shocks aren't really a great option.
Old 07-22-2011, 07:21 PM
mc5
Members

My Ride: 535xi M3 vert

I just had the bilstien hd's installed on my 535xi with h & r springs and thought it would fix the bottom out problem on stock shocks. not a chance ...I still bottom out on any major imperfection on toronto roads. Its gotta be the h and springs and the fact they are not stiff enough and lower the front end too much which causes the bottoming out. This sucks ass since i hate the stock spring look on my xi and h & r springs are my only option

My m3 is on eiback springs and koni yellows and is lowered quite a bit from this setup and i never had a problem of bottoming out like this.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:03 AM
mc5
Members

well guys my problem is fixed and iwill pass it on. The thump is the sway bar hitting fhe cv shaft. all need to do is get the sway bar modified so it doesnt hit, extend it I believe.

Rocco at www.rmpmotors.com fixed this problem. he is also maxbimmer.com forums al
Old 07-25-2011, 07:18 AM
mc5
Members

Well guys my problem is fixed and I will pass it on. The thump is the sway bar hitting fhe cv shaft. all need to do is get the sway bar modified so it doesnt hit, extend it I believe.

Rocco at www.rmpmotors.com fixed this problem. he is also on the maxbimmer.com forums
Old 07-25-2011, 10:23 AM
mc5
Members

attached file shows my modified sway bar. just cut each end and weld extension.

Attached Thumbnails Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs-swaybarjoint20110725-11251.jpg  
Old 07-25-2011, 10:51 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Hey Vladdy, you think maybe the OEM bumpstops are too long? Maybe if they were cut down a little the car wouldn't bottom out as easily?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:41 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by mc5
well guys my problem is fixed and iwill pass it on. The thump is the sway bar hitting fhe cv shaft. all need to do is get the sway bar modified so it doesnt hit, extend it I believe.

Rocco at www.rmpmotors.com fixed this problem. he is also maxbimmer.com forums al

WOW! That's a mod for Motorcepts... Joooooohn!!!!

Originally Posted by pjinca
Hey Vladdy, you think maybe the OEM bumpstops are too long? Maybe if they were cut down a little the car wouldn't bottom out as easily?
I don't think so. I think the sway bar explanation is very plausible. I need to get this done before I get pissed and trade her in for an X5!
Old 09-16-2011, 11:22 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 528xi Stock for the moment!!

I feel everyone?s PAIN!!!!! I also installed H&R Springs on my 2008 528xi with factory shocks. Every dip in the road or manhole cover I find myself rising off of the seat, it sounds like the front end is going to fall out. On one of the threads someone said the KONI yellows work better with the H&R's, does anyone know if this is true If so does anyone have the part # for the KONI yellow for the XI????? Thanks

Quick Reply: Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs