E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2011, 11:32 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Well, I knew this was going to be a suspension I wouldn't be able to crash into potholes when I was getting it installed, so in some way, I'm getting what I deserve. I suppose. I wonder if anyone can tell me what this can be though.

After I installed the suspension, almost immediately, I noticed that the bottom-out point is now EXTREMELY close. I can't drive the speed limit even on some of the roads in NYC - especially some of the highways. Not without the front bottoming out and hitting hard - you know, those jarring impacts that don't "shake", but "explode". Like "BAAAM", throughout the whole dash and chassis - bone chilling stuff, I tell ya. So granted, I've managed to crash the suspension in quite a few potholes since I've had it put on in April.

Here's the problem (or problems). When I turn close to the limit, I get a sort of a clicking noise from my left front corner. That is pretty docile and it only happens when I'm turning right at close-to-the-limit speeds. Michale from Acute told me that this could be a misaligned spring, but one mechanic (who installed the suspension) looked at it and said its not misaligned. Haven't gotten a second opinion yet.

Also, when I hit bigger kind of bumps (which on this suspension in NYC means pretty much all the bumps), I get a loud click-type knock from the right front. This one - a definite metal-to-metal contact. And it almost "rings" through the chassis. It comes from the right front, but it is so strong, feels like its in the cowl, or in the dash. But its definitely compression-related, because it only happens when the right front absorber bottoms out a certain way. The rear is fine - not a worry in the world. I'm debating what to do. But of course, before I waste a crap-load of money and time on mechanics, I'd love to get some forum members' opinions - I know most of you guys are better at knowing these cars than just about any mechanic out there.

So thanks in advance,
V.

PS one of the variants I've been thinking over is to put on stock absorbers back in the front with the short springs. But that's not really a fix. Could be an invitation to more trouble, actually. And I love the stiffness of the B8's, I just would hate to ruin the rest of the car with them - especially, if this is an issue that can be fine-tuned out.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:40 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: Bmw 530d 2004

My vote goes for a sloppy joint somewhere. Have you checked the wishbones and the tension struts (#15 and #8)?

- Antti -
Old 07-17-2011, 12:05 PM
Contributors

That is my first guess too. I've lifted the car and rocked all the joints by hand, but got no noises that way. But I think I remember someone on the forum saying that rocking joints by hand doesn't really reveal anything. But again, by hand there is no noticeable slack anywhere.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:17 PM
Contributors

Ok.

Test joints and struts so that you are under the car and hold for example the wishbone with your hand. Then your mate rocks the wheel left to right and up and down. Then go to next strut etc.
If there's any slack in any joint, you will notice it by the difference in the sturdiness of the strut/wishbone. Difficult to explain d'oh .

- Antti -
Old 07-17-2011, 01:17 PM
Contributors

I got you. I'm gonna make an appointment with my indie tomorrow and try to do this with him myself (if I'm able to schedule-wise), but regardless, we'll go over every aspect in the front.

My biggest fear, of course, is if the "cup" where the strut mounts on the body deformed from some hard impact. I don't think so, because I haven't really hit anything that hard - just "business as usual" hits - but you know, with the stiffer setup, I can't be sure.

Thanks Antti!
Coming through for 5series.net members world-wide
Old 07-17-2011, 02:27 PM
Contributors

Sure man, no problem!

I hope you get it solved!

- Antti -
Old 07-19-2011, 06:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 94' 325i(sold), 01 530 spt (sold) 08 528i

that sounds harsh....and thats what im afraid of.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:47 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528I 2008 Triumph Daytona 675

yo V. I feel your pain.
Everytime You hit a pothole (thats not even that big,) and the car feel like it want to cry with you. Man ive been there. I just kissed the steering wheel and tell her its gonna be OK. BIG lie. it only gets worse, Damn city.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:14 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 06' BMW 530xi

Originally Posted by stevenbeboo
yo V. I feel your pain.
Everytime You hit a pothole (thats not even that big,) and the car feel like it want to cry with you. Man ive been there. I just kissed the steering wheel and tell her its gonna be OK. BIG lie. it only gets worse, Damn city.
+1 on that .. just got the h&r springs installed on my xi o maan lol
Old 07-21-2011, 08:18 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stevenbeboo
yo V. I feel your pain.

Haha I stroke the dash LOL

How you been bro? Long time no see!

Originally Posted by itz CracK
+1 on that .. just got the h&r springs installed on my xi o maan lol

You still riding on stock shocks/struts? My Bilsteins are about 4 times thicker than stocks in the front, so while they are ABSOLUTELY INSANE for cornering, they crash like crazy over imperfections on the road. I don't mind, I've learned how to drive on them. But every now and then I just wish for, like, an X6 with adaptive drive, so I don't have to worry about a thing and just GOOOOOOO!

Quick Reply: Rare setup on Xi - Bilstein B8 + H&R Springs