E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Radenergie Polished, Machined Finished or Both

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 09:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

I have a set of Radenergie R10 that needed refinishing. Originally, the lip was machined finished (sort of like a very fine LP record surface) with a polished edge (like chrome but machined polished) which gave a nice subtle contrast. The whole lip was clear coated.

I had them refinish because of clear coat peeling and curb/tire replacement abuse. When I got them back, the whole lip is polished and clear coated. The part where it was originally machined finished (or diamond cut) now looks like a bunch of micron scratches in differing direction when you look at it close up. I'm not sure if it was still dirty and not washed that it looked like that, but I was not too happy. They did a good job of refinishing the edge of the lip, but now, the whole lip is polished, and there are no more subtle contrast of metal polishes.

Should I just say screw it, and move on, or make these guys redo it to spec? Is diamond cutting (machined finished) harder to do or about the same? What do you guys/gals prefer on your rim lips?

Thanks for your input.
Old 04-29-2011, 03:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: E60 M5, F85 X5M

I'd make them redo it if you're not satisfied cause you should get what you paid for.

As for which would be nicer, that's a personal debate but polished lips will get scratched over time as you clean off brake dusts etc but chrome will always look new; it's just more expensive to repair chromed lips though.
Old 04-29-2011, 08:23 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by Bimmer32
I have a set of Radenergie R10 that needed refinishing. Originally, the lip was machined finished (sort of like a very fine LP record surface) with a polished edge (like chrome but machined polished) which gave a nice subtle contrast. The whole lip was clear coated.

I had them refinish because of clear coat peeling and curb/tire replacement abuse. When I got them back, the whole lip is polished and clear coated. The part where it was originally machined finished (or diamond cut) now looks like a bunch of micron scratches in differing direction when you look at it close up. I'm not sure if it was still dirty and not washed that it looked like that, but I was not too happy. They did a good job of refinishing the edge of the lip, but now, the whole lip is polished, and there are no more subtle contrast of metal polishes.

Should I just say screw it, and move on, or make these guys redo it to spec? Is diamond cutting (machined finished) harder to do or about the same? What do you guys/gals prefer on your rim lips?

Thanks for your input.
I have the R10's too and was tired of cleaning the polished lips. I finally decided to have them completely rebuilt and refinished. Here's a little snap shot of what they currently look like.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by EuroCarFan
I'd make them redo it if you're not satisfied cause you should get what you paid for.

As for which would be nicer, that's a personal debate but polished lips will get scratched over time as you clean off brake dusts etc but chrome will always look new; it's just more expensive to repair chromed lips though.
I am not a big fan of chrome even though it is more expensive to repairs. I am going to see what it looks like after it gets cleaned up. Initially, I thought it makes the wheels look cheap with all polished lip, but maybe it just in my head. What do you prefer?
Old 04-30-2011, 07:25 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 528i, Space Grey, Nav, PDC, Premium, Sports, Grey Leather, Xenon, Cornering...

Originally Posted by C's Bimmer
I have the R10's too and was tired of cleaning the polished lips. I finally decided to have them completely rebuilt and refinished. Here's a little snap shot of what they currently look like.

Enough with the teasers!!!
Old 04-30-2011, 07:34 AM
Contributors

[quote name='C's Bimmer' timestamp='1304137435' post='1336718']

Thanks, I saw that in your teaser thread. I was thinking of it before to do similar to that . . . a gunmetal color and finish. That's what I like about BMW brakes. When I clean my rim, it looks good. When I don't clean them, they continue to look good with the coated brakes dust. I am OK with the shine, but probably prefer the semi dull look of diamond cut (machine finished).
Old 04-30-2011, 02:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 530 Titanium Silver Sport/Premium PKG OEM Mtech Kit

I have a full polish Iforged wheels and they are a pain to keep clean but love the look. Get polish if you have the patience to keep them clean. I have to wipe it down every other day to keep looking good.
Old 04-30-2011, 02:16 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530i mystic blue

i have polished/cleared lips. looks good. not to blingy at all
Old 05-01-2011, 02:33 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by svtla
I have a full polish Iforged wheels and they are a pain to keep clean but love the look. Get polish if you have the patience to keep them clean. I have to wipe it down every other day to keep looking good.
Machined finished was hard to keep clean as well. I often left it unclean which gave it a gun metal look. I think all lipped wheels are hard to keep them clean.

Originally Posted by inktoxicated
i have polished/cleared lips. looks good. not to blingy at all
I agree. Chrome is too blingy. Polished is less so, but the average person probably cannot tell the difference.