E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Radar Detector - Opinions wanted!

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2006, 05:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by playinJ30' post='342049' date='Oct 5 2006, 05:05 PM
The only advantage to a V1 is that it tells you the direction from which the signal is coming. To me... this is totally useless because if i hear a beep and I'm speeding... i slow down, i don't care where the signal is coming from.
That's exactly what you'd do if you don't have the arrows or bogey counter -- slow down as soon as it beeps because you have no idea if it's false or not so you're forced to play it safe. Saying the arrows are useless is kind of like saying "I don't need navigation because I never take any long trips" even though once you have navigation, you find yourself using it very often even around your home town.

I can't emphasize enough how much difference the arrows and bogey counter make on the V1. You soon learn to interpret the additional information about the location of the radar which quickly helps you determine if you need to slow down or not. Also, the bogey counter gives you even greater detail about what's going on. Anyone who has used a V1 for a short time clearly knows what I'm talking about. The people who have no experience with the arrows are usually the ones that discount their usefulness. Maybe it's just because they don't get what I'm describing or maybe it's just a way to feel better about whatever detector they ended up getting.

Sure, Mike Valentine pretty much invented the technology that most manufacturers use today and sure, the range that all these units have is more than adequate. The difference is in the information that Valentine presents to the user. Information is knowledge, knowledge is power, etc.

You won't be sorry if you buy a V1, but that doesn't mean you won't be happy with something else...

Oh, and one more thing -- in case you want to read a ton more about this topic, take a look at:

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=7635
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=23630
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4552
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=4545
Old 10-05-2006, 06:20 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

The Valentine 1 does false a fair amount, depending on your setting.

They pick up grocery store automatic doors very often. The thing about it is.... the false alarms are VERY recognizable vs. the real thing. You learn to recognize a real speed trap the first time you drive by one. It's a steady and increasing signal, from a single direction. A flase alarm is a weak signal, which seems to come from multiple directions at times. False alarms also tend to have increasing bogey counts.

The arrows are so essential to recognizing the threats.

If my V1 chirps even once, I know if it's a flase or the real thing. It's just like an instinct you develop once you understand the detector and how it works.

Laser detectors are practically useless. Radars have a large spread over distances. This makes detection of the radar signal possible before the radar is actually being used to track you. With laser, the beam holds together for longer..... making it difficult to detect unless it's already too late. Furthermore, laser guns that police use are typically hand units which they only need to turn on for a split second. Point, and pull the trigger. The laser could nail you and turn off faster than you can possibly do anything about it.

The V1 has laser detection, but it's really just because this has become a catch-word feature that everyone expects to see on a dectector. I've only encountered one Laser speed trap with my V1, and they nailed me.... just like I described above.

Basically, a laser detector just tells you.... "Nice work dumbass, prepare to get pulled over."
Old 10-05-2006, 07:24 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Where I live, X band is not used by the cops. X Band are the automatic doors or the alarms near by, that trigger my V1. I have mine set on "L", not "A", to avoid the false alarms on X band. Hence the reason I don't use Automatic mode. Otherwise, the thing would go off constantly. Anytime I get Ka, I immediately slow down based on the arrows. When it's K, I tread lightly, just in case I'm in some area where the town still uses K band. And of course there's laser. CT and MA and notorious for using laser in their states. I have made numerous trips up to Boston from New York and the laser detection goes off frequently. Of course, when I pull up the road about a 1/4 mile, there he is sticking out of the bushes pointing that gun at oncoming traffic. The other thing that sucks is that CT has radar jammers on most of their major highways. For those that have ever experienced driving through this state with a radar detector, it goes off constantly. To the point where you almost want to turn it off, but you know you can't. Because BAM...then they get you. CT also happens to be one of the heftiest states in terms of fines for speeding. Anything over 80mph is $250+. Bunch of crooks!
Old 10-06-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

Thanks guys, this is all great information. I never truly understood the need for the arrows and thought they were kinda "ugly" looking but I can definitely see the rationale behind them.

Now I just need to make a decision based on all this info.

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:02 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Silverstone II E60 M5 2012 E70 AW X5 50i Sport w/ LCI Aero Kit and Rocker Panels

Originally Posted by octee' post='342283' date='Oct 6 2006, 11:45 AM
Thanks guys, this is all great information. I never truly understood the need for the arrows and thought they were kinda "ugly" looking but I can definitely see the rationale behind them.

Now I just need to make a decision based on all this info.

Thanks again!
Don't think, just click on this link and buy. V1...the only ONE!
Old 10-06-2006, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i Orient Blue

LOL cmansbimmer, I've become one of those overanalytical people recently... I go through all the reviews and match things up.. ugh.. I just research everything to death. LOL..
Old 10-06-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by octee' post='342301' date='Oct 6 2006, 12:15 PM
LOL cmansbimmer, I've become one of those overanalytical people recently... I go through all the reviews and match things up.. ugh.. I just research everything to death. LOL..
So do I and trust me, I did the research. I'm a prime example of someone who went from the top cordless detector on the market to the V1. I paid $329 for my Solo S2 and $400 for my V1, so the price difference wasn't a factor. Hell, I should be one of the testimonials on V1's site.
Old 10-06-2006, 08:56 AM
Super Moderator

Count me in on the list of "research crazy" types...

The upside is that I'm usually very pleased with my purchase (as in my E60) but the downside is that it sometimes takes a bit longer to come to a decision. Actually, the bigger downside is that everyone asks me for advice when it's time for them to buy something! That gets old real fast...
Old 10-06-2006, 09:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='342322' date='Oct 6 2006, 12:56 PM
Count me in on the list of "research crazy" types...

The upside is that I'm usually very pleased with my purchase (as in my E60) but the downside is that it sometimes takes a bit longer to come to a decision. Actually, the bigger downside is that everyone asks me for advice when it's time for them to buy something! That gets old real fast...
Ha! So true. I have the Sony SXRD XBR1 60". I had a number of friends on the verge of buying the Samsung DLP's and after talking to me, seeing my TV, reading the reviews on CNET and basically having me sell them on the fact that the SXRD is one of the best televisions on the market, they all ended up getting the same TV. That's what you get, when you do your due diligence on any major purchases you make in your life. Then the rest of the free world wants your opinion and advice.

Although the one decision I do regret not making was getting the 550 over my 530xi. My damn wife had to have AWD bc our E39 was completely useless in snow "according to her". That's when my research and advice doesn't pay off. She seems to always win. Oh well...
Old 10-06-2006, 09:48 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by cmansbimmer' post='342336' date='Oct 6 2006, 01:42 PM
Although the one decision I do regret not making was getting the 550 over my 530xi. My damn wife had to have AWD bc our E39 was completely useless in snow "according to her". That's when my research and advice doesn't pay off. She seems to always win. Oh well...
See, you should've asked me my opinion before buying your car...

Quick Reply: Radar Detector - Opinions wanted!