E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quick Q about RPI Scoops

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2010, 04:35 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Car

How much water would be necessary to cause a hydrolock? Can an RPI scoop contribute to this since it will effectively provide a path for water to enter the engine? I recently installed one and after the recent downpours the Northeast has been dealing with (3-4 straight days of driving in rain) it had me thinking.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:47 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

I asked the same question...it's fine, we have had some pretty crazy down pours down here and it was never an issue
Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I've thought about this too. There have been threads about this before, but I'm not sure whether they were specifically about hydrolock or it was generally about the scoops and someone mentioned smth. I believe it elevates the risk, but even if it does so, it does it by so little, that it probably requires you to drive through standing water for a considerable amount of time to do any damage. At least such is my "guestimate" on this subject.
Old 04-01-2010, 05:59 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

To answer your question: One tablespoon of water entering the engine unabated will cause serious and permanent damage to it. Engines and water do not mix well at all. I doubt the scoop would cause or exacerbate a hydrolock condition. Blocking water is more the filters job. That said, rain itself will not cause a problem. Driving too quickly through too deep a puddle or (as what happened to one of our members) some fool driving in the opposite direction that floods your car would cause a huge problem.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:04 AM
Contributors

Location: Originally from Koeln, Deutschland. Enjoying it in Bonita Springs, Florida Now :)

Originally Posted by pjinca
To answer your question: One tablespoon of water entering the engine unabated will cause serious and permanent damage to it. Engines and water do not mix well at all. I doubt the scoop would cause or exacerbate a hydrolock condition. Blocking water is more the filters job. That said, rain itself will not cause a problem. Driving too quickly through too deep a puddle or (as what happened to one of our members) some fool driving in the opposite direction that floods your car would cause a huge problem.
Are you joking? Engines love water! The valves make delicious tea out of the water and have a tea party with the rods. And they use sugar from the gas tank to sweeten it up!
Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Originally Posted by Krozi
Are you joking? Engines love water! The valves make delicious tea out of the water and have a tea party with the rods. And they use sugar from the gas tank to sweeten it up!
That's only if you're teabagging your engine as often as Krozi though
Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by v_therussian
That's only if you're teabagging your engine as often as Krozi though
You know it