E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question on wheel swap...Rudy kscarrol?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 05:19 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

All,

I'm getting ready to head into my trusted wheel shop to do the chrome wheel swap on my stock rims. I have an '08 535i with the Sport 18" wheels and what he will do is just swap mine out for an existing set that have already been chromed. Question is...all he has to do is remove the TPMS bands and sensors and re-install on the chrome rims...correct, or am I missing anything? It's been a several years since I did this with another car of mine, but at that time the price was $125.00/wheel - including all labor, balance, mounting etc. The chrome plating is nice quality and guaranteed for 3 years against any peeling, chipping, discoloration etc. Had excellent luck with my last two sets!

I saw a set of the 535i 18" wheels chromed at the BMW dealer and they looked great on the Monaco Blue Met. However, as we all know, the dealer's rims are made of solid gold - or at least priced that way anyway . When I was purchasing my 535, I checked into the 550 19" wheels (he had a chromed set) and he wanted $5,800.00 PLUS (at the time) my brand new 535i 18" Sport Pkg. wheels/tires in trade.... :thumbsdown:

thx and Happy New Year!!
Old 12-28-2007, 05:24 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='511343' date='Dec 28 2007, 09:19 AM
All,

I'm getting ready to head into my trusted wheel shop to do the chrome wheel swap on my stock rims. I have an '08 535i with the Sport 18" wheels and what he will do is just swap mine out for an existing set that have already been chromed. Question is...all he has to do is remove the TPMS bands and sensors and re-install on the chrome rims...correct, or am I missing anything? It's been a several years since I did this with another car of mine, but at that time the price was $125.00/wheel - including all labor, balance, mounting etc. The chrome plating is nice quality and guaranteed for 3 years against any peeling, chipping, discoloration etc. Had excellent luck with my last two sets!

I saw a set of the 535i 18" wheels chromed at the BMW dealer and they looked great on the Monaco Blue Met. However, as we all know, the dealer's rims are made of solid gold - or at least priced that way anyway . When I was purchasing my 535, I checked into the 550 19" wheels (he had a chromed set) and he wanted $5,800.00 PLUS (at the time) my brand new 535i 18" Sport Pkg. wheels/tires in trade.... :thumbsdown:

thx and Happy New Year!!
The TPMS sensors are not held on with bands. They are part of the valve stem mechanism. This is what they look like:

Old 12-28-2007, 05:34 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

If the wheels are exactly the same style, then you should have no problems just moving the sensors from one wheel to another (they should fit just fine...)
Old 12-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Contributors

The wheel guy can simply use the balancing machine (hopefully a Hunter machine) to push the tire on the old wheel to the side. It was unclear whether you were using the same tires on the new setup, but changing the tires makes the process easier.
He can then remove the sensors on the wheels and replace them very easily. Of course, he will need to create a new stem for the new setup. I don't like the look of the cheap black stem that they normally use, so don't forget to ask about better options.

I hope this helps.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 535i, 6spd mtx, Monaco Blue w/Beige interior. Sport, Preimum, Logic 7/HD/I-Pod/USB, Nav sys, rear sunshade, HUD, PDC, Split seats,

Gentlemen...thanks for the information I honestly had not realized the TPMS sensor was in the stem!! Thought it was a bit odd that the stock stem cap had the writing "TPMS Reset" or somthing similar printed on it. I'll check with them to be sure they have experience with this type of stem...assuming it simply pushes into the wheel then the black "boot looking" piece fits up underneath on the inside.....

Yes, Rudy I will be swapping for the exact same rims and installing my stock tires on them as well...so shouldn't be any issues from that standpoint.

Happy New Year everyone
Old 01-02-2008, 12:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='511351' date='Dec 28 2007, 06:34 AM
If the wheels are exactly the same style, then you should have no problems just moving the sensors from one wheel to another (they should fit just fine...)
Rudy - one last question...will the TPMS system need to be recalibrated or anything like that? He'll just be swapping them to an identical rim so I'm hoping not?

thx
Old 01-02-2008, 01:11 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by HotLap' post='512881' date='Jan 2 2008, 04:10 PM
Rudy - one last question...will the TPMS system need to be recalibrated or anything like that? He'll just be swapping them to an identical rim so I'm hoping not?

thx
I don't think you need to do anything to the sensors but it wouldn't hurt to re-initialize the TPMS system via iDrive once you have all your tire pressures where you want them.

(I'm just guessing here but I don't think the sensors are coded to any particular wheel position on the car -- instead, I think the car uses some sort of directional antenna system that enables it to determine which wheel is low on air, etc. If they were individually coded, we'd have seen issues when people rotate tires and there'd also be four different part numbers for the sensors...)
Old 01-03-2008, 06:12 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='512914' date='Jan 2 2008, 02:11 PM
I don't think you need to do anything to the sensors but it wouldn't hurt to re-initialize the TPMS system via iDrive once you have all your tire pressures where you want them.

(I'm just guessing here but I don't think the sensors are coded to any particular wheel position on the car -- instead, I think the car uses some sort of directional antenna system that enables it to determine which wheel is low on air, etc. If they were individually coded, we'd have seen issues when people rotate tires and there'd also be four different part numbers for the sensors...)

Thanks Rudy!!