E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question for those who have lowered their car

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2007, 02:01 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2007 Mercedes CLS63 AMG Designo Graphite with white leather interior Keyless Go, Heated/Ventilated seats, Parktronic

I've been reading dozens of threads about springs and how damn near everyone seems to be lowering their car after they get new wheels. It seems like most are simply lowering their car with springs only, rather than upgrading the shocks as well. Why is this? Everything I've read (on this forum and other forums) is that the stock shocks can only handle the new springs (Eibach or H&K) for roughly 15-20k miles before the stock shocks are destroyed. What shocks are you guys switching to and why?

For those who have only done springs, what do you plan to do in 20k miles? Are there other shocks designed for aftermarket springs?

In a perfect world I'd like the end result to be about 2 inches lower than stock and have the same smoothness as the OEM setup without having to worry about shocks every 20k miles.

Any suggestions?
Old 02-25-2007, 02:47 PM
Senior Members

i have personally dropped my car with H&R Sport Springs and didnt replace anything else......if u would like a 2 inch drop go with H&R Race Springs but I doubt that you will have such a smooth ride after....
Old 02-25-2007, 03:44 PM
Contributors

I was going to replace my springs and shocks, but decided just to go with coilovers. Height adjustable ftw.
Old 02-26-2007, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

I replaced my shocks also with this Sach performance shocks.
Basically I bought the Sach kit that has both the upgraded shock and spring (which is Eibach).
It lower the front by 1.5" and the rear by 1.2". FYI Sach is the manufacture of the stock shocks (at least for my non sport 525i), and there are some choices for shocks if you check on tirerack,etc.

Only last 20k with original shocks? Kind of hard to believe, I thought they should last at least a good 40-50k?
Old 02-26-2007, 04:49 PM
JPJ
Contributors

For a smooth ride look into Koni FSD shocks with Eibach springs. You will not get the 2" drop, but from everything I have read the ride will be very similar to OE with a nice improvement in handling.

If you go with race springs (2" drop) the stock shocks will wear out even faster and I don't think you will have smoothness anywhere near OE (with any shocks out there).

Best choice to get that low and maintain a decent ride is going to be coilovers.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 530 Titanium Silver/Sexy black

I got springs and didnt replace shocks.

25k miles later, no problems whatsoever and ride quality seems the same since day one of install.
Old 03-20-2007, 12:50 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I SPORT. BLACK BEAUTY. HEADS UP, NAVI,AC SCHNITZER ROOF SPOILER, TRUNK LIP SPOILER, 20 IN AXIS PENTA (NOW PAINTED BLACK). M-TECH KIT, EIBACH SPORTS.

Originally Posted by xexyus' post='396028' date='Feb 26 2007, 10:02 PM
I got springs and didnt replace shocks.

25k miles later, no problems whatsoever and ride quality seems the same since day one of install.
hey xexyus. in your signature, you listed EIBACH sport suspension. can you post some pics? i have 20" wheels on my 530 sport. i just ordered the EIBACH pro kit. i'm just worried that i will not be happy with a .25 drop front and rear. because my car is a sport model, you probably won't even notice the drop. should i go with the pro kit or am i asking for trouble?
Old 03-20-2007, 01:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: E60 M5 Silverstone/black/alum mods: 20" Vellano wheels, H&R spring, SS x-pipe + SS Race exhaust, hardwired V1 E60 530i - sport package, bluetooth mods: M-tech full kit, OEM M5 side mirrors, Hella smoked tail light, Formula One Classic tint 50% all around

hey axis530, I saw you're looking for some eibach reference.
here's some pics of my ride. i am using eibach sportline kit. 2" drop at the front and 1.2" at the back.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=silver+e60
oh, and my car is a sport model.
if u want to have a slammed look on your car, then sportline is your choice. if not, pro kit will do the job.
and ride is almost the same with your original sport suspension. a bit stiffer but it's not noticable, plus, we have 20" and low profile tire anyway.
Old 03-20-2007, 05:20 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by snikt21' post='405074' date='Mar 20 2007, 02:46 PM
hey axis530, I saw you're looking for some eibach reference.
here's some pics of my ride. i am using eibach sportline kit. 2" drop at the front and 1.2" at the back.
http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...p;hl=silver+e60
oh, and my car is a sport model.
if u want to have a slammed look on your car, then sportline is your choice. if not, pro kit will do the job.
and ride is almost the same with your original sport suspension. a bit stiffer but it's not noticable, plus, we have 20" and low profile tire anyway.
i didnt know eibach offers sportline springs for our cars. i thought its just the pro kit. when i saw your car man i thought it was h&r's on it.. the way it was sitting and all. man eko your car is hot stuff
Old 03-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by AXIS530' post='405050' date='Mar 20 2007, 04:50 PM
hey xexyus. in your signature, you listed EIBACH sport suspension. can you post some pics? i have 20" wheels on my 530 sport. i just ordered the EIBACH pro kit. i'm just worried that i will not be happy with a .25 drop front and rear. because my car is a sport model, you probably won't even notice the drop. should i go with the pro kit or am i asking for trouble?
I have Eibachs pro-kit in my sport model with 20's..i think it looks perfect with a nice ride. Soooometimes it feels a bit rough when going thru a lot of road imperfections but otherwwise as smooth as factory. Cronering has improved 50% and feels more secure...

Quick Reply: Question for those who have lowered their car