E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question for ipod users...

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 05:10 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

How do you connect the ipod to the aux input. Do you use the line out on top of the ipod device and then use a 1/8" to 1/8" male to male connector?
Old 06-08-2005, 05:27 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

This is from a conversation me and Stream had:

OK--thanks. Sounds like the PSP's audio output (presumably a headphone jack) has the same issue as the iPod headphone jack--it's tailored to driving headphones, and not full size speakers. That's why to hook up a iPod to speakers you need to use the line out, which is accessed by the dock connector at the bottom. Here's a quote from the Belkin website:

The 3.5mm port on the top of the iPod is filtered and tailored toward headphone use and the quality volume level of a headphone simply cannot compete with your car stereo. Headset sound quality and bass levels are greatly reduced. The bottom dock connector (which transfers audio out of the Auto Kit?s 3.5mm port) generates pure, unfiltered sound. Therefore, using the Auto Kit gives you bass levels and sound quality equivalent to that of a CD.

The headphone output of the PSP is not loud enough for the AUX in the BMW. Make sure you get that Ipod adapter Stream mentioned.

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jun 8 2005, 09:10 AM
How do you connect the ipod to the aux input.? Do you use the line out on top of the ipod device and then use a 1/8" to 1/8" male to male connector?
[snapback]137500[/snapback]
Old 06-08-2005, 05:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order: 2006 525i Alpine White Auburn Interior Premium Pkg Sport Pkg Cold Weather Pkg Xenons Sunshades Sat Radio Navigation

Aha...that was it. I could not get any sound out from that port. I still don't know if they wired it up correctly thought. When I first plugged the IPOD in, the CD I was playing lost bass, and then I drive slowly went blank. It doesn't do that anymore, but I don't get any sound out. I hope I didn't fry anything. I have to go back by the dealer, so I'll try to make sure they implemented this correctly. Can someone link the file for the correct aux input installation for the US?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:06 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jun 8 2005, 06:45 AM
Aha...that was it.? I could not get any sound out from that port.? I still don't know if they wired it up correctly thought.? When I first plugged the IPOD in, the CD I was playing lost bass, and then I drive slowly went blank.? It doesn't do that anymore, but I don't get any sound out.? I hope I didn't fry anything.? I have to go back by the dealer, so I'll try to make sure they implemented this correctly.? Can someone link the file for the correct aux input installation for the US?
[snapback]137518[/snapback]
Here's the install instructions:

5_series_aux_input.pdf

I got a Monster iCarCharger, which has a line out:
http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2132
Old 06-08-2005, 06:15 AM
Contributors

Stream...thanks!
I don't even have an ipod yet, but I'm borrowing a friends. For now, I just want to verify that it works.

Tomwid, you mentioned in another thread that you used your laptop output. Did you just connect at male to male connector from the headphone output to the aux input, or did you use something else?
Old 06-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: Jet Black 545i

I used a male to male. Worked fine. The aux connector in my car seems "loose" though. Meaning I can pull out the cable w/ little effort. Anyone else notice this?

Originally Posted by Aaron' date='Jun 8 2005, 10:15 AM
Tomwid, you mentioned in another thread that you used your laptop output.? Did you just connect at male to male connector from the headphone output to the aux input, or did you use something else?
[snapback]137533[/snapback]
Old 06-08-2005, 07:27 AM
Members

I use a Belkin car adapter and a short male-to-male cable that I bought at Radio Shack. It is just long enough to reach both the Aux in socket in the glove compartment and the audio socket in the Belkin adapter which is in the power socket in the passenger footwell behind the glove compartment. To control the iPod, which stays in the glove compartment, I use a wireless remote control.

I use shuffle play, can advance to the next track easily and have some significant bass sound. Note that the volume controls on the iPod and the remote control are not relevant.
Old 06-08-2005, 07:47 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i, Olivin Green, w/Sports Package, basic stereo, chrome wheels, tinted windows, Bluetooth enabled with Moto V710 (Verizon), Sirius Sat Radio (aftermarket), Auxiliary Input for Ipod.

"wireless remote"?? Where did you get that?

Teriyaki
Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by teriyaki88' date='Jun 8 2005, 08:47 AM
"wireless remote"?? Where did you get that?

Teriyaki
[snapback]137574[/snapback]
I've got a Griffin AirClick (recommended by another board member)--got it at the Apple store:
http://www.griffintechnology.com/pro...lick/index.php
Old 06-08-2005, 08:11 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 530i, Titanium grey/Black, Automatic, Sport, Premium, Nav, HUD, Aux input, 35% tint all around.

Originally Posted by tomwid' date='Jun 8 2005, 07:42 AM
I used a male to male.? Worked fine.? The aux connector in my car seems "loose" though.? Meaning I can pull out the cable w/ little effort.? Anyone else notice this?

[quote name='Aaron' date='Jun 8 2005, 10:15 AM']Tomwid, you mentioned in another thread that you used your laptop output.? Did you just connect at male to male connector from the headphone output to the aux input, or did you use something else?
[snapback]137533[/snapback]
[snapback]137546[/snapback]
[/quote]

mine is loose as well. never know for sure if it is plugged in all the way.

Quick Reply: Question for ipod users...