E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Question for Integrated iPod owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 09:01 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

For those of you who have added the new BMW iPod Interface, which allows iDrive control of the iPod....

I was wondering if one of you would conduct a brief and simple test for everyone's benefit?

Please go to your car, and start the engine.

Play your iPod.

Turn up the volume to a loud, but reasonable listening level.

Press pause on the iPod, but leave the stereo on.

Listen for any noise in the stereo. Examples, background hiss, or a faint whine sound.

Press the gas pedal a few times while listening for noise. If you hear a whine, take notice if the whine gets louder or higher-pitched when you press the gas pedal to rev the engine.

Turn the volume all the way up, and continue noise tests above.

Report back.

I'm curious to know if the iPod Integrated solution does any better with electrical noise than a standard AUX input with Cigarette Charger.

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-27-2006, 01:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Come on guys.

Someone's got to be able to do this simple test.
Old 09-29-2006, 04:30 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545, non-sport,silver gray, premium, cold weather, I-pod adapter, Predator Ice, M tech, Logic 7, hardwired V1, Remus exhaust, soon to be: 18" Beyern multi wheels w/ Michelin Pilots

I'll do it today and report back.
Old 09-29-2006, 05:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Lab Rat' post='339905' date='Sep 29 2006, 02:30 PM
I'll do it today and report back.
LOL Lab... can you CC my secretary ASAP on the report please so I can have her give me an executive overview of your test findings.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:31 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 545, non-sport,silver gray, premium, cold weather, I-pod adapter, Predator Ice, M tech, Logic 7, hardwired V1, Remus exhaust, soon to be: 18" Beyern multi wheels w/ Michelin Pilots

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='339345' date='Sep 27 2006, 04:19 PM
Come on guys.

Someone's got to be able to do this simple test.
IPOD will not allow me to pause it while it is hooked up to the IPOD adapter unless there is a way to do it thru the I-drive menu. Haven't had chance to read manual yet.
Old 09-29-2006, 08:42 AM
Members

Originally Posted by are_62' post='339921' date='Sep 29 2006, 08:23 AM
LOL Lab... can you CC my secretary ASAP on the report please so I can have her give me an executive overview of your test findings.
I'd feel too sorry for your secretary. Favor is only for fellow 545 owner
Old 09-30-2006, 07:02 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Lab Rat' post='339993' date='Sep 29 2006, 12:31 PM
IPOD will not allow me to pause it while it is hooked up to the IPOD adapter unless there is a way to do it thru the I-drive menu. Haven't had chance to read manual yet.

Damn it. That's so weak.

OK.... lemme think here.... need to test noise on iPod connection... but won't allow pause.

Alright... so that means we need to just make a short audio file that is nothing but silence. That way you could play it on the iPod, but all you hear is nothing.... so you can detect the noise floor.

Do you know how to make a short, blank audio file?

Just open a wave editor program like SoundForge, WaveLab, or Audigy... record a new file for like 30 seconds, but don't select any active audio source. The program will record silence, and you can save that as a WAV or MP3.

Load it to the iPod, and try again.
Old 09-30-2006, 07:55 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why don't you make one and send it to him. It may be only a few MB, and email can accomodate it.
Old 10-01-2006, 02:40 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: '04 BMW E60 530d High Executive

Hi subterFuse, I just picked up my car yesterday with the new ipod interface. I was also very interested in any static noise during the end of a song (the last silent secs), and I couldn't notice anything with songs I ripped from original cd's (downloaded mp3's are ofcourse different but that has something to do with their quality).
Music only works for me if I can play it in superb quality, therefore I never installed the aux-in because it sounded very disappointing in a 1-series loaner with the best sound system available.
And all I can say about the music quality from the Ipod interface is that it pleasantly surprised me, and that it was much better then I expected!
Old 10-01-2006, 03:13 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by my530i' post='340441' date='Sep 30 2006, 11:55 PM
Why don't you make one and send it to him. It may be only a few MB, and email can accomodate it.

I have done so.

I created a 30 second file of nothing but silence.

Is there someplace here I can post it for download?

Quick Reply: Question for Integrated iPod owners