E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Quaife LSD for Steptronic

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:02 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='710196' date='Nov 2 2008, 08:54 PM
Is it possible to replace 545/550 std diff with an M5/M6 LSD? Even in a steptronic? Thanks.

I think no, because M5 LSD is electronically controlled.
The Quaife, from what I read, is better than the Mdiff.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by AlexFW' post='710201' date='Nov 2 2008, 12:02 PM
I think no, because M5 LSD is electronically controlled.
The Quaife, from what I read, is better than the Mdiff.
Thanks Alex. Please share your comments/experience on your LSD setup, pre and post Quaife LSD. Also cost and installation. Thanks again.
Old 11-02-2008, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i SMG with Limited Slip Differential
Model Year: 2005

Originally Posted by Rizbel' post='710223' date='Nov 2 2008, 09:35 PM
Thanks Alex. Please share your comments/experience on your LSD setup, pre and post Quaife LSD. Also cost and installation. Thanks again.

Topic

If you plan to keep the car, it is a must.

EUR 1600-1700 installed.
If someone want to get it from BirdsUK, send me a PM and you will have instructions to have a little discount on the listed price.
Old 11-02-2008, 12:30 PM
Senior Members

I also had the Quaife LSD installed along with other mods to my car and let me tell you it feel ALOT different and faster on some twisties.

As the twisties get tighter it make up for the money as the cars feels it pulls down the power much better, instead of starting to spin the inner rear tire till it smokes it. Also what i noticed is the fact it's alot harder to drift it, not that the car is harder to keep it in drift (which is easier as i'll explain) but there is so much traction (of course DSC off COMPLETELY) that it's harder than it used to be without lsd. Since without lsd the inner tire would very soon start to loose traction, it was just a matter of insistence to brake loose the other rear tire. Now you get the torque more evenly displaced and so it's in a way tougher to begin a drift. Even for me with just 272 bhp but with 560 NM of torque it's kind of hard sometimes, as i often have to fight the steering wheel a lil bit.

As for keeping the car drifting, well that's another story. Now it's way easier to keep it drifting, especially on wet, but most importantly it feel easier and safer. Since when it used to lack the lsd the car would spin one tire to oblivion it also was unpredictable at times. For example you could hit a dirty side of the road with the rear wheel that had more traction to it and you would end up caught off guard resulting in a nasty spin. Another example is that you had to modulate the throttle alot more when the car lacked the lsd, since it took more aggressive style to keep the traction loosed.

And for course, the end of a slide which IMHO tells the difference between amateurs drifters and skilled ones. Without lsd i would almost always finish off the drift with a big degree of fish tailing. And no matter how gentle i eased of the throttle it was still there. At times when i was more careless i found even dangerous the fishtail that it might send you the other way around. Now this effect is greatly diminished because of the even distribution of torque to the rear wheels. Truth be told it hasn't gone completely but i think that's mainly because i drive a diesel and as so it had low rev range so it's more like an on/off switch, so it's harder to precisely modulate the throttle (i think a petrol acts way better at this).

And yes finally acceleration which has gone...well worse. Around 0.3 seconds or even more worse but that's because i didn't properly compare it with my 18" rims. With 20"s it shows a worse standing still acceleration. I think with 18"s it will probably be anywhere around 0.2 to even 0.4 seconds faster. When i'll swap wheels will test.

PS: Sorry for the typeoes but it's quite late and i need to get up early tomorrow morning. Hope what i wrote shed some light on the subject.
Old 11-02-2008, 03:14 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='710250' date='Nov 2 2008, 04:30 PM
I also had the Quaife LSD installed along with other mods to my car and let me tell you it feel ALOT different and faster on some twisties.

As the twisties get tighter it make up for the money as the cars feels it pulls down the power much better, instead of starting to spin the inner rear tire till it smokes it. Also what i noticed is the fact it's alot harder to drift it, not that the car is harder to keep it in drift (which is easier as i'll explain) but there is so much traction (of course DSC off COMPLETELY) that it's harder than it used to be without lsd. Since without lsd the inner tire would very soon start to loose traction, it was just a matter of insistence to brake loose the other rear tire. Now you get the torque more evenly displaced and so it's in a way tougher to begin a drift. Even for me with just 272 bhp but with 560 NM of torque it's kind of hard sometimes, as i often have to fight the steering wheel a lil bit.

As for keeping the car drifting, well that's another story. Now it's way easier to keep it drifting, especially on wet, but most importantly it feel easier and safer. Since when it used to lack the lsd the car would spin one tire to oblivion it also was unpredictable at times. For example you could hit a dirty side of the road with the rear wheel that had more traction to it and you would end up caught off guard resulting in a nasty spin. Another example is that you had to modulate the throttle alot more when the car lacked the lsd, since it took more aggressive style to keep the traction loosed.

And for course, the end of a slide which IMHO tells the difference between amateurs drifters and skilled ones. Without lsd i would almost always finish off the drift with a big degree of fish tailing. And no matter how gentle i eased of the throttle it was still there. At times when i was more careless i found even dangerous the fishtail that it might send you the other way around. Now this effect is greatly diminished because of the even distribution of torque to the rear wheels. Truth be told it hasn't gone completely but i think that's mainly because i drive a diesel and as so it had low rev range so it's more like an on/off switch, so it's harder to precisely modulate the throttle (i think a petrol acts way better at this).

And yes finally acceleration which has gone...well worse. Around 0.3 seconds or even more worse but that's because i didn't properly compare it with my 18" rims. With 20"s it shows a worse standing still acceleration. I think with 18"s it will probably be anywhere around 0.2 to even 0.4 seconds faster. When i'll swap wheels will test.

PS: Sorry for the typeoes but it's quite late and i need to get up early tomorrow morning. Hope what i wrote shed some light on the subject.
20" wheels vs 18"s will have a much bigger negative effect on acceleration than an LSD (if the LSD has any effect at all other than controlling wheel spin). Bigger wheels add unsprung weight and increase rotational mass requiring more power to move that mass...
Old 11-02-2008, 03:19 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 E60 530i Color: Jet Black/Black Anthracite STEP | Sport | Premium | NAV | Logic 7 EXTERIOR: M-Tech Kit | M5 Mirrors, Trunk Finisher | Jet Black Kidney Surrounds | Madico Charcool Tint 54%, 35% LIGHTING: Euro-Headlights | Euro-LCI Tail Lights | AiB V3.0 | Solaris Invisi-bulbs | OEM LED Plate Lights PERFORMANCE: Porterfield R4-S Brake Pads | K&N Air Filter WHEELS & SUSPENSION: Work VS-XX 20x9, 20x10 | Toyo T1R 245/30/20, Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 295/25/20 | KW V2 Coilovers | Rogue Engineering 15mm Spacers

I didn't read a word of this thread because I was memorized by the bouncing boobies in Rizbel's sig.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

Originally Posted by KnIgHtCoM' post='710351' date='Nov 2 2008, 04:19 PM
I didn't read a word of this thread because I was memorized by the bouncing boobies in Rizbel's sig.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:12 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 545i Sport
Model Year: 2004
Engine: N62

Even my avatar stopped moving .
Old 11-03-2008, 11:33 AM
Members

i really would like to get the LSD but i have no clue who can install them in the Cleveland area?
Old 11-03-2008, 11:56 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by silvergray5456spd' post='711161' date='Nov 3 2008, 03:33 PM
i really would like to get the LSD but i have no clue who can install them in the Cleveland area?
Are you a member of the BMW CCA? I'm sure the local chapter could refer you to a qualified shop. Diffsonline can rebuild the rear end and install the Quaife but you still need someone to pull it from the car and pay shipping which would be substantial because of the weight. Quaife might be able to recomend someone. They need shops qualified to install these things or they wouldn't sell any...

Quick Reply: Quaife LSD for Steptronic