E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Purchased Aftermarket AVINUSA Nav Unit, and then iDrive died...

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2019, 07:46 PM
Probation Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2007 BMW 550i
Default Purchased Aftermarket AVINUSA Nav Unit, and then iDrive died...

Hello everyone,

I'm brand new to the forums, and I'm here seeking some help if possible.

I have a 2007 BMW 550i E60, with the CCC iDrive head unit. Because this older unit does not have bluetooth audio or other convenient multimedia features like on modern cars, I purchased an 8.8 in multimedia navigation and bluetooth AVINUSA unit to install in my vehicle: https://avinusa.com/8-8-multimedia-n...1-e63-e64.html

While waiting for the unit to arrive several days ago, my original iDrive screen began to flicker and intermittently turn on and off. Sometimes I would get static-like tv line across the startup 'BMW' iDrive screen and then it would die. This happened for a period of several days until it stopped working completely. I can still hear the DVD/CD changer mechanisms moving/working or attempting to work at times, and I swear there are very brief moments where I can see the backlight on my 8.8 in screen attempt to switch on. My phone also immediately connects to bluetooth in the car when the vehicle is on, however if im on a phone call, I can't hear the audio from the call and the person I'm speaking with cannot hear me either until I switch off the bluetooth input for the call back to my iPhone speakers.

I went to the dealership to see if they could troubleshoot my issue and tell me if I would need any of the factory iDrive/CCC components to work still since I have the aftermarket unit (which appears self contained...is has a touch screen to interact with the onboard android OS and has its own screen to replace the factory one) and they informed me that my CCC head unit appeared to have died. Regarding the CCC systems in the MOST chain, my CCC-GW (which I believe is power and ground) is GREEN, while CCC-BO, CCC-ASK, and CCC-ANT are all YELLOW, or faults. I'm including a picture of the control unit tree they provided to me.

My question is, do I need to replace the factory head unit/CCC unit in order to get my aftermarket android head unit to work? As I noted, it appears self contained and connects to the factory AUX port for sound, and although I would prefer the iDrive controller wheel and buttons for navigation of the android OS (as it is capable of), the aftermarket unit has touch screen functionality and its own operating system, so if my iDrive controller wheel and/or the old iDrive OS and functions don't work...I'll get over it. The dealer quoted me over 2400 dollars to replace and code a new CCC unit (which is abhorrent to me for such an old technology, when I bought a brand new aftermarket unit with all the bells and whistles for approx. 500 bucks) and I'd really prefer to avoid putting in a new CCC unit if possible. I know there are used/refurbished units on ebay for lower prices, but if I can avoid spending any more money altogether since I don't need any of the old tech anyway, that would be fantastic. I believe the new aftermarket unit plugs into the factory CCC unit, but I believe its mainly for power? And since I can hear the DVD and CD changer mechanisms moving inside the factory head unit, and the LEDs are on, im assuming its getting power (as noted by CCC-GW in the MOST chain)?

Anyone with insight to this issue would be a great help and I thank you in advance for your assistance.

PS, if I am screwed and need a new CCC head unit, if anyone can point me in the direction of anyone who potentially repairs the CCC units (apparently its a widespread problem and they just need a few capacitors and a chip resoldered onto the PC, or sells used/refurbished units and knows how to code them.

Thank you again for your help!
The following users liked this post:
antonross (06-23-2021)
Old 01-04-2020, 05:10 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E31 with SBC, E65 B7, E61, 74 VW camper all original

I had a similar issue with my CCC unit.
The problem I had was that the DVD drive went bad and caused the system to reset randomly.
the quick fix for me was to eject the dvdtho the unit stopped hunting to read

I'm not sure if this will work for you, but it costs nothing to try it.
Old 01-06-2021, 08:36 AM
New Members

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi Touring 6MT, 2001 325i 5MT
Engine: N54, M54

Removed. Wrong thread.
Old 01-15-2021, 03:51 PM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535XiT - stock (I think)

I just installed the AVIN unit in my E61. If just the screen were bad, you would be ok. BUT, and this is my biggest gripe, the AVIN unit is not a standalone unit. It's more of a piggy back system and functions basically the same as plugging your phone into the aux port. In fact, the only way to get sound from the AVIN unit to your factory speakers is to plug an aux out extension from the unit to the aux in in your center console.

You will need your CCC system to function to have sound.