E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

PS request/opinion needed

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2010 | 10:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Since I'm removing carbon fibre parts from my car, I got this wild idea to add some bavarian blue accents (as in the blue that's in the BMW roundel) to the otherwise black and white paint scheme of my car. So far I'm definitely doing the RPI scoop and the calipers, but I got an idea - to do the bezels of the kidney grilles in this blue. Its pretty bright and it sure is risky, but the curiosity won't leave me alone so I have to ask your opinions:

1. Can somebody with some photoshop skills please do the bezels (the rims) of the grilles in that bavarian blue for me please? Also, the vertical slats of the kidneys will be painted gunmetal to match the upcoming wheels.
here's a pic of my car's front:
PS request/opinion needed-fbf_39.jpg

and 2. Can everyone please chime in what you think? Keep in mind that I'll be getting a different body kit soon, KWs and gunmetal 19s (I was also thinking to maaaaaaybe do a blue time attack on the rims, but IDK...)
Old 01-13-2010 | 11:48 PM
Senior Members

hmm not feeling the blue kidneys, but lets see the photoshop first..

just an idea: why not try replicating the concept in your avatar and paint the vertical bars in the kidneys blue? that way you can make the kidney bezels gunmetal, which imo would look somehow more naturally cool and sporty

as you know I've been thinking about painting my kidney bezels in brushed aluminium finish - I am currently deciding between a few 3M vinyl finishes: brushed aluminium, aluminum metallic (like stock wheels colour) and titanium metallic (like pre-LCI iDrive knob). I got examples of the vinyl wraps and and they all look very good on the car.
Old 01-14-2010 | 02:42 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by mmitev' post='1090404' date='Jan 14 2010, 03:48 AM
hmm not feeling the blue kidneys, but lets see the photoshop first..

just an idea: why not try replicating the concept in your avatar and paint the vertical bars in the kidneys blue? that way you can make the kidney bezels gunmetal, which imo would look somehow more naturally cool and sporty

as you know I've been thinking about painting my kidney bezels in brushed aluminium finish - I am currently deciding between a few 3M vinyl finishes: brushed aluminium, aluminum metallic (like stock wheels colour) and titanium metallic (like pre-LCI iDrive knob). I got examples of the vinyl wraps and and they all look very good on the car.
When I was repainting my OEM grilles, I sanded down the bezels and they had that brushed aluminum look you are looking for. So all you'll need is some sand paper and matte clear coat finish spray - sand them down with rougher sand paper, then gradually use finer paper until you get a silky texture in the finish. Spray with clear coat finish at least 5-7 times (I'd do like 10-12), but make sure you let the clear coat dry to about 75% dry between the resprays. Viola

As for painting the vertical slats blue, I have thought about that, but it would be way too much blue in the front. I considered doing a fade on the slats, also - from white outside to bavarian blue on the inside - that would give the slats a truly original look, but I think it will be extremely hard to pull off, AND I'm not too sure I'll like it anyway. Another idea for a fade is graphite to blue with alpine white bezels, but again - near impossible to pull of. Then I saw the 911 GT3 with those deep orange accents and decided to try to do the bezels in blue and the slats in graphite.
Old 01-14-2010 | 06:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: e60

y not paint the whole grill white

including the slits

then on the front face of the slits u paint it the blue

that way u dont have a very obvious amount of blue and still hint at the bmw logo with it

ill try to photoshop something to show u

Old 01-14-2010 | 06:50 AM
Contributors

I think you should do it. Once you're done, add some 24" chrome rims on that bitch, slam it, and paint your calipers baby blue. Then, to top it all off, upgrade your fog lights to 8k HIDs. That would be...... ballertastic.
Old 01-14-2010 | 06:57 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i premium package/active steering/auto sunshade/tiag/black dakota leather/logic 7 35% tint all around 19' DPE GT7

I'd be curious to see what the photoshop would look like, it might go nice with the AW color.
Old 01-15-2010 | 12:58 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by god_003' post='1090535
I think you should do it. Once you're done, add some 24" chrome rims on that bitch, slam it, and paint your calipers baby blue. Then, to top it all off, upgrade your fog lights to 8k HIDs. That would be...... ballertastic.
easy there

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1090542' date='Jan 14 2010, 10:57 AM
I'd be curious to see what the photoshop would look like, it might go nice with the AW color.
I think that blue looks gorgeous with AW, but I'm afraid that its gonna look tacky on the grille... I really need this PS
Old 01-15-2010 | 01:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

hope you like...
Attached Thumbnails PS request/opinion needed-v_s_bimmer.jpg  
Old 01-15-2010 | 01:32 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545i Sport Package, Black/Grey. Got it July 09.
Model Year: 2004

i like this one even better
Attached Thumbnails PS request/opinion needed-so_sick.jpg  
Old 01-15-2010 | 01:39 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by danzanchy' post='1091182' date='Jan 15 2010, 05:32 AM
i like this one even better
Thanks, brother!

I actually like how the bezels are accented with this blue. Maybe the blue should be a little bit lighter hue and the dark color of the slats is kinda clashing - right? But this is actually kind of interesting.

I like how you hooked me up with HIDs there too hahaha

Quick Reply: PS request/opinion needed