E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Problem retrofitting heated sport seats to basic non heated

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2017, 01:47 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530d with some modifications
Question Problem retrofitting heated sport seats to basic non heated

Hey ya all! Ive been retrofitting a half leather sport seats with seat heating to my 2004 e60 with normal seats without heating. The seats that i have are from 01/2007 e60. Because I didnt have the seat heating option before I had to buy that panel with heater buttons too.

As i started to make the wiring I ran to a problem. My WDS shows that from drivers and passengers side goes 1 blue wire to Body Gateway Module(KGM) pin 15 and pin 24 in connectors x---59 and x---60 if I remember right. The problem is that I dont have KGM I have Safety and gateway module and Body Basic Module (KBM). Does anyone have any clue where should I connect those 2 wires. Other wiring under the seat connector were pretty simple. From drivers side redgreen to fuse and brown to ground under the floormat and passenger side Red to fuse and brown to ground under floormat and smaller ground to a box witch number I cannot remember. Oh and almost forgot that I dont have those 8 or 10 chamber seat modules.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:54 AM
New Members

My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.
Model Year: 2007

Hi, a little insight on retrofitting comfort seating, or non heated to heated. As long as you have heated seat option, comfort seating will be plug and play. The only option that won't work is the side bolster sport option when sport is active. Your moduals are already in the seat. You need the heating option for this to work, if not, it becomes a nightmare of wiring. There has been a tread were some one did do all the wiring. Since you need the heated seat switches anyway, it's easier to run the wiring from there to the seats. The best way to go about this is to find a donor car with heated seats and go from there. It you have heated seats, comfort seating is plug and play with no coding since all moduals are in the seat. Hope this helps.
Old 04-05-2017, 10:52 AM
New Members

I have read all threads that I just could find about this retrofit but dont seem to find any that is close enoug to my issue.

I have started to think that if my car would have had semi electric heated sports seats from factory would it had those seat modules? I mean SMFA and SMBF modules. As I have understood the semi electric seats without memory dont need those but how about with heating?

Originally Posted by JuniorB
There has been a tread were some one did do all the wiring.
Could you remember where that thread was? It might help me
Old 04-06-2017, 10:33 AM
New Members

My Ride: ,retro sport button,comfort seats,m5 front and rear swaybars,pullbars,550 brakes kit with slotted and drilled rotors,upper strut brace,lower 2pt brace,3im,power box,m5 eom wheels,m5 rep bumper and skirts.

If you have heated seats already, then any heated full electric seat will work. Now I'm not sure of the older e60, but late 06-10 will work.
Old 04-06-2017, 10:39 AM
New Members

Some info is converting non heated to heated, those may have different modules cause it's inter graded with the I drive the seat modules is what controls the seats. Are they memory semi seats? I do know you need heated seats in your car to upgrade to heated comfort/active.
Old 04-06-2017, 11:59 AM
New Members

I had semi electric basic non heated without memory. Then I bought half leather m-sport seats witch are semi electric heated without memory. I started to do the wiring as it was in the donor car but realised that i dont have the kgm module and thats why Im stuck. kgm replaced sgm and kbm modules 03/2005 if I remember right.
Old 04-06-2017, 03:31 PM
New Members

I believe all kgm modules are the same e60, e61, 525-m5. It's the coding inside that changes. Now if your year 05 is different than a 05, then there may be a diffence, if the 05 and 06 I drive are the same, then you need the heated wiring and control panel on the dash. Unless you try to plug t hem is to see what works, you will never know. The seats run off the seat modules already in the seat, the heat switch is just a switch to turn on the heat. I don't know if the heat also brings over its separate power. As long as you have power coming over, as you stated you had semi electric, then you may have many of the seat functions, but no heat. You still need a switch to turn the heated part on. I read that coding was nessasery for comfort seats, but it was plug and play.
Old 04-19-2018, 01:07 PM
New Members

My Ride: bmw 530d
Model Year: 2005
Default Seats

Hello, i have l a bmw 530d 2005 normal black leather seats half electric but I have silver stone seats instead black ones to use because they more pretty , they out from M5 sport and full electric. But the connections are really different, than the ones originally. Had an electrician coming to check and he did not do anything because he said it wasn’t possible, I was going to change the cushions only but not an option. Now someone said for me to paint my black seats to silverstone but it’s not the same . Anyone can help to come around ( near Norwich) and Get then done for me or something. Wait for reply
thank you
Old 04-28-2018, 01:04 AM
New Members

My Ride: E60 530D
Model Year: 2006

Hi

I went from standard semi electric non heated to fully electric heated with memory a month back.

If your original seats are heated then i will be an easier job, if they aren't you will need to run some wires from behind your SZM switch to the seats, then some coding will need to be done.

You will also need the main power plug for the seat module, then some wiring modifications to the original loom the comes under the seats