E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre LCI to LCI tail ights

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2022, 02:07 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi fbo w/stage 2+ MHD
Default Pre LCI to LCI tail ights

I have a 2009 535xi and apparently have a set of 2003 K2 lights I'm attempting to install. Here's how they are wired up:
Left Side (Driver Side)
.....................STOCK Harness .................................................. ........ K2 Tail Light Harness
Tail light....... SW/RT(black/red) ---------------------------------------------------- Blue/Green
Brake light... GR/GN(grey/green) ------------------------------------------------- Brown (& Red)
....................WS/RT(White/ Red) ------------------------------------------------- Brown (& Red)

Turn signal.....BL/SW(blue/brown) ------------------------------------------------- Yellow
Reverse.........WS/GE(White/Yellow) ---------------------------------------------- White
Fog................GE/SW (Yellow/Black) ---------------------------------------------- Red
Ground..........BR (Brown) ------------------------------------------------------------ Black

Right Side (Passenger Side)
.....................STOCK Harness .................................................. ........ K2 Tail Light Harness
Tail light....... SW/BR(black/brown) ------------------------------------------------- Blue/Green
....................WS/SW(White/Black) ------------------------------------------------- Brown (& Red)

Brake light... WS/BR(white/brown) ------------------------------------------------- Brown (& Red)
Turn signal.....BL/BR(blue/brown) -------------------------------------------------- Yellow
Reverse.........GE/WS(Yellow/White) ---------------------------------------------- White
Fog................
GE/RT(Yellow/Red) ------------------------------------------------- Red
Ground..........BR(Brown) ------------------------------------------------------------ Black

K2 Tail Light Harness
Ground----------------------Black
Driving “tail light”----------Blue/Green
Reverse---------------------White
Fog??Extra Brake------- Red
Turn------------------------- Yellow
Brake------------------------Brown

All is working the only issue I have now is the tail lights go OFF after about 30 seconds and I get an error "Communication with SMC disrupted"
Errors:
9CBC: LM: Communication with SMC, left, disrupted
9CBD: LM: Communication with SMC, right, disrupted
Now if I plug the stock setup in on the left the lights stay on and only the right dies with
9CBD: LM: Communication with SMC, right, disrupted

Name:  GzPo4Jj.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  199.7 KB

Circled in Red are the tail lights to make life "easy"
Circled in Blue is the question I am having....

For the Left tail light it appears that the "Brake Light" is 2 wires:
GR/GN & WS/RT (or Grey/Green & White/Red)

and

For the Right tail light it appears that the "Tail Light" is 2 wires:
SW/BR & WS/SW (or Black/Brown & White/Black)

Would I be correct in reading this? So I should combine 2 wires for the brake light on the left and 2 wires on the tail light on the right?

I tried to tie them in and same result... lights go off after about 30 seconds.

So basically now I need to figure out WHICH wire to tie the SL+SML (SMC) wires into

Last edited by udfxrookie; 06-11-2022 at 02:23 PM.
Old 06-14-2022, 06:00 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2009 535xi fbo w/stage 2+ MHD

any one?