E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-LCI DRL and welcome light mod

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2016, 11:24 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i
Default Pre-LCI DRL and welcome light mod

Read on a different forum about modifying a pre-lci headlight to run the angel eyes as drl's. I also bought a set of aftermarket LED drl's with a switchback feature so it blinks white-amber-white when I activate the turn signal. I also read about wiring the Angel eyes and the tail lights to fade on/off with the cabin lights when you lock/unlock the vehicle as sort of a welcome light. I have the instructions and procedures on how to do all this, I just need to know which wire on the headlight assembly is for the Angel eyes and the turn signal.
Attached Thumbnails Pre-LCI DRL and welcome light mod-image.jpeg  
Old 03-17-2016, 03:19 PM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

Originally Posted by kevesp
Read on a different forum about modifying a pre-lci headlight to run the angel eyes as drl's. I also bought a set of aftermarket LED drl's with a switchback feature so it blinks white-amber-white when I activate the turn signal. I also read about wiring the Angel eyes and the tail lights to fade on/off with the cabin lights when you lock/unlock the vehicle as sort of a welcome light. I have the instructions and procedures on how to do all this, I just need to know which wire on the headlight assembly is for the Angel eyes and the turn signal.
that all sounds pretty awesome you should totally post a tutorial if your able to work anything out. unfortunetly I don't know what colours the halos are but maybe just check the colour of the connecter cable that attatches to the bulb
Old 03-18-2016, 07:06 AM
New Members

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW 530xiT (E61)
Model Year: 2007

if it were me, I would use a multimeter and check for continuity on each wire when using the turn signal and when activating the light control to turn the halos on.
Old 03-18-2016, 07:13 AM
New Members

i think i may be able to find the wiring diragrams for you.

what's the last 7 digits of your VIN? is that the harness for the left or right side that you have pictured? do you have xenons? adaptive headlights?
Old 03-18-2016, 03:50 PM
New Members

Last 7 of my vin is B864805. My car does have xenons. I don't remember which side this was passenger I think?
Old 03-19-2016, 06:16 AM
New Members

My Ride: 06' Range Rover Sport

I did all this on my Pre-LCI along with turn signal LED upgrade just by coding it through the former BMWhat app now iCarly. I bought the app for $60 and the Cable for $20 if I remember correctly but it was well worth it. You can diagnose your car,reset battery and more. I'm not affiliated with them in any way just thought I'd share as it was a much easier and cleaner way of doing things on my car.
Old 03-20-2016, 12:03 PM
New Members

Last 7 of my vin is B864805. My car does have xenons. I don't remember which side this was passenger I think?
the pins in that connector appear to be numbered. this is what I could find in the WDS wiring diagrams for your headlight connector...

Pin------------Signal------------ Function
1------------31---------------------ground
2------------56BL(R)------------left(right) HID control module
3------------56AL(R)------------left(right) high beam
4------------58VL(R)------------left(right) parking light
5------------BI_XENON-------bi-xenon solenoid signal (bi-xenon high beam reflector)
6------------49V(R)1------------front left(right) outer turn signal
7------------31--------------------ground
8------------SML-----------------voltage, side marker light

note that the wire colors on the diagrams don't match exactly (although they are close) what you've taken a picture of so I would verify this with a multimeter as I suggested previously. interestingly, I couldn't find any reference to the angel eyes/halos on their own circuit. my guess would be that they are somehow controlled by the light module based on the position of the light switch in the cabin and/or are on the same circuit as the low beam. I'm relatively new to BMW lighting, so there are probably quite a few people who have written about this elsewhere in the forum.

coding through NCS or the carly app mentioned by someone else may be your best bet.
Old 03-22-2016, 01:55 AM
New Members

Thanks for the bit of info! I'll play around with this and see what I can come up with. I know I can code it, but I'd like to use the aftermarket DRL's I bought as well as get that "welcome light" effect I saw somewhere else.
Old 03-26-2016, 09:51 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530i

im planning on taking the easy way out and try to tap into my puddle lights from my front doors and wire them to the halos as well. that way when I unlock my car, they will turn on with the interior lights lol