E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-LCI DIY HID Angel Eyes

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2012, 09:52 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I know this has been discussed ad nauseum but after an extensive search I can't find anything dealing specifically with the PRE-LCI cars. I have LED angel eyes that I bought at the recommendation of this forum but they don't do much other than change the color of the light. They're still rather dim during the day.

So today I cut the stock angel eye light housing and slid an HID bulb through the hole. I didn't have time so I didn't try it but I think I can get it in the headlight. The only thing I see that would need to be done is cut a hole in the access panel for the wiring to pass through. Other than that it looks pretty straightforward once I frankenstein something together.

Has anyone else done this or am I on my own?
Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 AM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

I would say good luck to you. Since the pre-LCIs xenon's angel eye holder doesn't have a reflector like the LCIs do, you're going to be losing a ton of light, most possibly just lighting up the bottom of your headlights (though it shouldn't be visible). The other issue I would be concerned for is obviously the heat that it'll generate for that small area.
Old 07-11-2012, 01:46 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d

eh? I have pre lci dynamic xenons, and my angel eye bulb does have a reflector
Old 07-11-2012, 07:10 AM
Members

Originally Posted by nomis_nehc
I would say good luck to you. Since the pre-LCIs xenon's angel eye holder doesn't have a reflector like the LCIs do, you're going to be losing a ton of light, most possibly just lighting up the bottom of your headlights (though it shouldn't be visible). The other issue I would be concerned for is obviously the heat that it'll generate for that small area.
The stock angel eye housing does indeed have a reflector and the housing is actually a metal of some sort. Whatever it is it's really brittle but it is metal. Other than that though, the end with the bulb isn't sealed so I would think heat wouldn't be an issue at all.

I'll report back in the next couple of days with what I find.
Old 07-11-2012, 07:25 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW 550i M Sport
Model Year: 2010
Engine: 4.8L V8

Originally Posted by Mike_K
The stock angel eye housing does indeed have a reflector and the housing is actually a metal of some sort. Whatever it is it's really brittle but it is metal. Other than that though, the end with the bulb isn't sealed so I would think heat wouldn't be an issue at all.

Subscribed! Good luck bro, I'm pulling for you as I have a pre-LCI with a set of Mtech V2's and I feel the same about the brightness output. There has to be a better solution other than Orion's that cost you an organ or two after parts and labor
Keep us posted and put up some pics showing where you split housing to get the bulb in and of course the finished product...if you make it.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:58 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

im with simon on this one. although us and uk specs may be differnt, simon is the headlight guru here. people from m5board as well as e90post go to simon and simon alone.
Old 07-11-2012, 11:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by jasperxli
im with simon on this one. although us and uk specs may be differnt, simon is the headlight guru here. people from m5board as well as e90post go to simon and simon alone.
I'm not sure what relevance that has. I manufacturer and test performance parts for a living. It's what I do. www.wbodystore.com
Old 07-11-2012, 12:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

I'm not sure what relevance that has. I manufacturer and test performance parts for a living. It's what I do. www.wbodystore.com
relevance is simon cuts headlights for a living.
Old 07-11-2012, 12:09 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

I tried over three years ago and trust me. It does not look nice.
Old 07-11-2012, 04:07 PM
Contributors

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60
Model Year: 2016

The bulb itself you mean? Of course the bulb itself has a reflector. Otherwise it loses too much efficiency.

Now, I don't mind people challenging what I know, but it is annoying when I know I am right.

Please tell me which part of this looks like a reflector to you Name:  F48Xw.jpg
Views: 5
Size:  85.8 KB

Now, that whole black piece, which is the holder is made of plastic. I would be damn concerned that piece will be damaged over time. Plus I've personally seen the optic (which is visible in this pic) yellow over time from LEDs, I can't imagine what HIDs will do to it -- probably melt it as well. I didn't take measurement earlier, but obviously if you are even thinking of getting an HID bulb in there, it'll probably have to be H11 or something shorter of a bulb, but even then, you don't have much room at all for heat dissipation.

My original post still stand.

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI DIY HID Angel Eyes