E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-Lci Bi-xenon to Pre-Lci Adaptive Bi-xenon retrofit help

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2020, 05:21 AM
New Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 535d

Originally Posted by smartshah

Left Headlight
As Above you need to ground Pin 1 from the X1034 (Left) Pin 1 X1035 (Right).
Pin 1 from Pin 38 to Ground (Ground Point, crimp a wire to this wire and ground it to the 8mm Nut which you removed to take the LCM out)
Pin 2 from Pin 59 to Pin 38
Pin 4 from Pin 76 remove and insulate
Pin 3 from Pin 21.to Pin 76

Right Headlight
Pin 1 from 37 to ground
Pin 2 from Pin 58 to Pin 38
Pin 4 from Pin 75 Insulate this
Pin 3 from Pin 20 to Pin 75

Any questions I will be happy to help. I will help anyone
Hi smartshah,
I think I found a mistake in your text, or maybe not..

Pin 2 from both headlights, I think you meant:
"Pin 2 from Pin 59 to Pin 38 from left headlight
And
Pin 2 from Pin 58 to Pin 37" for the right, You wrote 38 as well for both sides....

Previous owner bought a pre-lci dynamic lights and just put them in, they haven't worked for about two years aka since I got the car.
It still had a original 4 pin wiring as the production date is#0503 so I don't have the separate AHL module. I got the latest AHL module even updated it with a latest software but still no joy. No answers in UK forums as well unfortunately..
The following users liked this post:
smartshah (03-01-2020)
Old 02-25-2020, 05:39 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport

How much have you done?
list what you have done.
Read my post again. There are a few wires you need to tap. Code your production date 0305

I have corrected the mistake thank you.

QUOTE=.Biotoxic.;1604291]Hi smartshah,
I think I found a mistake in your text, or maybe not..

Pin 2 from both headlights, I think you meant:
"Pin 2 from Pin 59 to Pin 38 from left headlight
And
Pin 2 from Pin 58 to Pin 37" for the right, You wrote 38 as well for both sides....

Previous owner bought a pre-lci dynamic lights and just put them in, they haven't worked for about two years aka since I got the car.
It still had a original 4 pin wiring as the production date is#0503 so I don't have the separate AHL module. I got the latest AHL module even updated it with a latest software but still no joy. No answers in UK forums as well unfortunately..[/QUOTE]
Old 02-25-2020, 05:49 AM
New Members

It's a bit different than you did.
It's just a coding issue now + I will check if pin(1) on each headlight is earthed, as I only earthed the left side pin...
At the moment if I activate the cornering lights on Idrive and if an indicator is on the same side full beam will turn on and off... also I have three errors present in ISTA+ regarding the ALC system, alive signal and something else. but hopefully, they will clear. I will also recode the LM2 as I have defaulted the VIN number with 00000... also the smc's will need to be recoded, but I wasn't able to do that as the comms were not responding, most likely because of the earth issue..

Long story short, if this works..... it will be great
Old 02-25-2020, 06:14 AM
New Members

Coding:-

Tool32

Open prg file lm-ahl2.prg select the file with a similarsiame
Readfvin
​​​​​see if the vin matches if not.
writefvin and add your full vin in the argument

Then go to aif lesen check your VIN in there copy the results window in notepad
and then aif schreben write the correct vin along with the other values it requests in the argument window.

NCS Expert

​​enter FA delete the production date add #0305. And then add $524.
Change job to FA write and process CAS and LMA.

The SMC or ALC dont need coding.

then code LMA with default.

but ensure you have PT CAN H and PT CAN L. It will not work otherwise

Originally Posted by .Biotoxic.
It's a bit different than you did.
It's just a coding issue now + I will check if pin(1) on each headlight is earthed, as I only earthed the left side pin...
At the moment if I activate the cornering lights on Idrive and if an indicator is on the same side full beam will turn on and off... also I have three errors present in ISTA+ regarding the ALC system, alive signal and something else. but hopefully, they will clear. I will also recode the LM2 as I have defaulted the VIN number with 00000... also the smc's will need to be recoded, but I wasn't able to do that as the comms were not responding, most likely because of the earth issue..

Long story short, if this works..... it will be great
.Biotoxic. (02-25-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:24 PM
New Members

Default No joy

Confirmed the pins are all where they are supposed to be using a voltmeter. Now the ALC system error has gone but still I have no comms with both SMC's disrupted... Reading 2LSMC and 2RSMC ends with timeout.. Changed the vo temporary to a 2009 to match the build date of lm2. Even sg reset the module after each try.
Can you read/code the both SMC's?
Old 03-12-2020, 04:32 PM
New Members

If you used ISTA D to clear all the faults, it will reset the coding partially or fully on the LM2. You will need to go back to it and recode it. You have to mark 'AHL unit installed' as not active.

As for the SMC's there is not much to do with them apart from code your VIN to them using NCSEXPERT.

You do not need to change the production date to 2009. Delete that and then add #0305. As cars from this date onwards did not come with a seperate AHL unit.

You can test the functionality if the SMC via ISTA D. Ensure the pins are firmly pushed in before sliding the brown and blue block of connectors back into the X12 white adaptor. Sometimes the cables get pulled a little and wont make a good contact on the LM.

Confirmed the pins are all where they are supposed to be using a voltmeter. Now the ALC system error has gone but still I have no comms with both SMC's disrupted... Reading 2LSMC and 2RSMC ends with timeout.. Changed the vo temporary to a 2009 to match the build date of lm2. Even sg reset the module after each try.
Can you read/code the both SMC's?
.Biotoxic. (03-12-2020)
Old 03-12-2020, 04:52 PM
New Members

Cheers for the info. I did use the istap. But it gives me a coapi 1000 error(global vehicle communication error, general fault) it doesn't allow me to save the FA to a LMA.. I think its the issue with a LM otherwise istap even offers me to retrofit adaptive lights but fails on coding/programming and saving FA to it....
I temporary left the LM to a #0307
This shows. LM module connected to a Ptcan but its grayed out..

Also... If I change the FA/VO to any of the dates higher than my original #0305 and if I turn the indicator on left or right and if I have a Cornering lights option enabled in Idrive the same side full beam will do as soft on and soft off as long as I have indicator on... If its on and I change the option to disable cornering lights(not the Adaptive lights) full beam will turn off instantly. Otherwise it will turn just cycle on and off if fog lights would be set as soft on welcome lights... I have car for two years now and still can't get the to work... Getting close tho..
P. S. Just noticed at the image of the grayed out LM module it says K-can.... But I am pretty sure it's connected to a PT-can. Pins 32 and 34 at the sgm(at the glove box)

Anybody knows how the see the attached modules to a K-can or PT-can if it is possible?

P.S.2. Also forgot to mention when reading the LMA module it connects to LM_AHL_2.PRG but if I try to read the 2L or 2Rsmc it connects to a LM_AHL. PRG... LM trace file shows No Control unit
Installed by default if I do SG_codieren so it's not it

Last edited by .Biotoxic.; 03-12-2020 at 05:02 PM.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:00 PM
New Members

I never used ISTA P. I dont have the ICOM device. Maybe uou can recommend a seller to me.

Did you code the VIN on the LM? I used Tool32 to code the vin in 2 different places.

Use NCSEXPERT to code the lights. Your lights are Bi Xenon and the H7 bulb can be used as High Beam if you code it to do so. Otherwise it is used as a cornering light. Soft on. If you want the fog lights to turn as cornering lights this should also be coded within the NCSEXPERT. I am not well versed with ISTA P. I have not used it. The tools i used were, Tool32, ISTA D and NCSEXPERT.

i am pretty sure this is a coding issue and nothing else.

Cheers for the info. I did use the istap. But it gives me a coapi 1000 error(global vehicle communication error, general fault) it doesn't allow me to save the FA to a LMA.. I think its the issue with a LM otherwise istap even offers me to retrofit adaptive lights but fails on coding/programming and saving FA to it....
I temporary left the LM to a #0307
This shows. LM module connected to a Ptcan but its grayed out..

Also... If I change the FA/VO to any of the dates higher than my original #0305 and if I turn the indicator on left or right and if I have a Cornering lights option enabled in Idrive the same side full beam will do as soft on and soft off as long as I have indicator on... If its on and I change the option to disable cornering lights(not the Adaptive lights) full beam will turn off instantly. Otherwise it will turn just cycle on and off if fog lights would be set as soft on welcome lights... I have car for two years now and still can't get the to work... Getting close tho..
Old 03-12-2020, 05:30 PM
New Members

Regarding a coding I used both toll32 and istap to change the VIN I also confirmed it in INPA. From what I learned VIN needs to be coded to a module so when you do a SG_codieren all the basic stuff is already activated on the module using other options/modules from vehicle order. It can be done manually although that would be time consuming.... When I got my car and when I connected istap for the first time it said I have 3 modules fitted but according to the VO they are not there. For example 6cd changer....
At the moment all the modules have the same VIN beside Mulf2 I programmed the FLA after I took the picture.

For some reason Mulf2HIGH shows up as ISPB... Can't code it with Ista as it's not meant to be in a Pre-lci and the module itself is from 2015.. That's another story..

Icom.. I bought it from obd express or something along the lines. Its a good quality chinese clone. It wasn't working properly when I got it but managed to fix it.
Old 03-12-2020, 05:39 PM
New Members

It definitely seems like a massive coding issue.

If i was in your shoes, i would first grab the Factory VO and ensure that it matches. Read the VO dump it using NCSEXPERT. Google BMW VIN decoder. This will assist you in getting the correct codes for your VO. Then write FA to CAS and LMA. As these 2 modules carry the VO.

Ensure $522 and $524 are in there too. 522 is for Bi Xenon and 524 for adaptive. If this was not present you would not see the SMC modules.

Reset the coding to factory default and then re add the $522 $524.

Regarding a coding I used both toll32 and istap to change the VIN I also confirmed it in INPA. From what I learned VIN needs to be coded to a module so when you do a SG_codieren all the basic stuff is already activated on the module using other options/modules from vehicle order. It can be done manually although that would be time consuming.... When I got my car and when I connected istap for the first time it said I have 3 modules fitted but according to the VO they are not there. For example 6cd changer....
At the moment all the modules have the same VIN beside Mulf2 I programmed the FLA after I took the picture.

For some reason Mulf2HIGH shows up as ISPB... Can't code it with Ista as it's not meant to be in a Pre-lci and the module itself is from 2015.. That's another story..

Icom.. I bought it from obd express or something along the lines. Its a good quality chinese clone. It wasn't working properly when I got it but managed to fix it.

Quick Reply: Pre-Lci Bi-xenon to Pre-Lci Adaptive Bi-xenon retrofit help