E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-LCI (2004) $522 (Xenon) to LCI $524 (AHL Dynamic Xenon) retrofit

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2021, 01:12 AM
New Members

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
My Ride: 535d M Sport

Originally Posted by xardas
@smartshah
that makes sense! Is the pin 5 for PT-CAN the only one that needs to be added to LM socket?
In the thread you posted the OP moved a lot of wires from AHL module to LM2.
What about the connection between LM and the headlamps, will my wiring have all necessary wires to cover all 11 pins or will I also need to route new wire(s) to lamps themselves?
Thank you for taking the time to help! I've read all of the threads posted here but I couldn't work out which information applies to my car specifically (I don't have access to WDS)
To summarize the info from the thread you posted:

at LM2:
5 -> insert pin from rear right lamp [from retrofit PDF]
20 -> move to 75
21 -> move to 76
25 -> move to 53 [from retrofit PDF]
37 -> take out -> ground
38 -> take out -> ground
40 -> move to 11 [from retrofit PDF]
58 -> move to 38
59 -> move to 37
62 -> insert pin from rear left lamp [from retrofit PDF]
76 -> take out -> insulate
71 -> insert PT CAN Low
72 -> insert PT CAN High

at headlamps:
connect wires according to LCI UPDATE.pdf (wire colors will not match exactly)

+ coding (with build date #0905), will give me working AHL and Angel Eyes (and working rears but that's not related)
Does that sound correct?
For the timebeing ignore what the retrofit PDF says.

start with your car wiring first.

You have LM2. You already have Xenons.

You need to first wire up the Adaptive Feature.
you need a PT CAN High and Low signal. You need to swap the Pins around. Once you done all that.

You then code.

Then when you go to fit the LCI Headlights, you look at the PDF. The PDF is not telling how to retrofit LCI Adaptive headlights, on a car without Adaptive Xenons. It is assuming you have adaptive lights prior. And Bi Xenons Prior to fitting.

Then you follow the PDF. The LCI headlights only have one connector. The Pre Lci have 2. One for the headlights and one for the stepper motor. Because it is showing you where to pin them. So do this step last, or later. Do all the necessary work for the LM2 first.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:21 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '04 E60 530d
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M57 218HP

Originally Posted by smartshah
For the timebeing ignore what the retrofit PDF says.

start with your car wiring first.

You have LM2. You already have Xenons.

You need to first wire up the Adaptive Feature.
you need a PT CAN High and Low signal. You need to swap the Pins around. Once you done all that.

You then code.

Then when you go to fit the LCI Headlights, you look at the PDF. The PDF is not telling how to retrofit LCI Adaptive headlights, on a car without Adaptive Xenons. It is assuming you have adaptive lights prior. And Bi Xenons Prior to fitting.

Then you follow the PDF. The LCI headlights only have one connector. The Pre Lci have 2. One for the headlights and one for the stepper motor. Because it is showing you where to pin them. So do this step last, or later. Do all the necessary work for the LM2 first.
Understood! This weekend I will then start with the LM2 wiring, then coding. After I verify that it has worked, I will start cutting up my headlamp harnesses - and to think I thought that this will be the hard part

Your posts clarified a lot. Once again thanks for that. Just one more thing:
https://5series.net/forums/attachmen...1-15.32.57.jpg

For the LM2 part, do I only need part 61138369696 (the small pin) or anything else? What about the grounding connector?

edit: also why do I need about 4m of cable for grounding if the grounding point is close to the LM?

Last edited by xardas; 12-14-2021 at 01:29 AM.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:31 AM
New Members

Understood! This weekend I will then start with the LM2 wiring, then coding. After I verify that it has worked, I will start cutting up my headlamp harnesses - and to think I thought that this will be the hard part

For the LM2 part, do I only need part 61138369696 (the small pin) or anything else? What about the grounding connector?

No Pin5 is this. You did not read the thread. After the OP posts that, another member tries using those pins, but they did not fit..same thing happened to me. But I had already brought the Pin5 as a backup.

61130005201 Part No.

The following users liked this post:
xardas (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 01:40 AM
New Members

edit: also why do I need about 4m of cable for grounding if the grounding point is close to the LM?
- Incase you make mistakes. You will need to add wires to the PIN5. Those connectors come with wire attached,but they will not reach. Its only about a foot long. So you will need to solder a wire to that. You need 2 x Pin 5. 1 for the PT Can High, 1 for the PT Can Low. You will also need to extend the other 2 cables which you have to ground. Use good quality preferable Tinned 0.5 to 0.75mm².

Here are the ground connectors No.8. There are different variants for number 8 depending on the wire gauge you will use.

xardas (12-14-2021)
Old 12-14-2021, 01:50 AM
New Members

No Pin5 is this. You did not read the thread. After the OP posts that, another member tries using those pins, but they did not fit..same thing happened to me. But I had already brought the Pin5 as a backup.

61130005201 Part No.

That's right, I did miss that. Will now order the pins w/cable. So I need two of them, one for the wire from pin 37 and one for pin 38. Both should go to a ground point. I'm not sure what do I need an additional 4m of wire for though.
Old 12-14-2021, 01:54 AM
New Members

That's right, I did miss that. Will now order the pins w/cable. So I need two of them, one for the wire from pin 37 and one for pin 38. Both should go to a ground point. I'm not sure what do I need an additional 4m of wire for though.
2m of red 0.5mm²​​
2m of black 0.5mm²

You need around 30 inches or more each to PT CAN HIGH and Low. as you need to route them around.

You need 2 ground 2 wires, but you have to route them around.
Wire is cheap. Good to have spare.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:08 AM
New Members

@smartshah Ah, now I understand. So I need 4 [of these pin's with wires], two more for the PTCAN, and I just solder my extension wires onto them, thermo-shrink them and then route to destinations. Sounds good.
As for the pin 8 and the power/CAN wires I'm pretty sure I'll find something fitting in my local electronics store, the prices for these tiny contacts at the dealership are insane.

By the way, after making all these changes to LM2 while keeping my OEM lamps on for now won't fry anything right?
Old 12-14-2021, 02:14 AM
New Members

@smartshah Ah, now I understand. So I need 4, two more for the PTCAN, and I just solder my wires onto them, thermo-shrink them and then route to destinations. Sounds good.
As for the pin 8 and the power/CAN wires I'm pretty sure I'll find something fitting in my local electronics store, the prices for these tiny contacts at the dealership are insane.

By the way, after making all these changes to LM2 while keeping my OEM lamps on for now won't fry anything right?
It won't fry anything. Just do the work, when you have the LCI lights, and disconnect your lights and your battery whilst you do this.

If you have the non adaptive headlights, your car will throw error code. As you have grounded certain contacts etc.

as above do the work when you all the bits..

By the way the normal spade connectors may fit. But it is only 2 pins, and it will be clean install.
Old 12-14-2021, 02:22 AM
New Members

It won't fry anything. Just do the work, when you have the LCI lights, and disconnect your lights and your battery whilst you do this.
I mean I have everything in my posession alredy - though it could happen that I'll need to drive the car after installing LM2 before fitting the LCI lamps on. I assume the headlamps would still work in such case, although may throw a couple codes which is fine.

By the way the normal spade connectors may fit. But it is only 2 pins, and it will be clean install.
When I go to the dealership to get the pins w/cables I'll have a look at the BMW spade connectors and compare them with the typical ones. If they look/fit different, I'll just get the OEMs.

Old 12-14-2021, 02:24 AM
New Members

I mean I have everything in my posession alredy - though it could happen that I'll need to drive the car after installing LM2 before fitting the LCI lamps on. I assume the headlamps would still work in such case, although may throw a couple codes which is fine.

When I go to the dealership to get the pins w/cables I'll have a look at the BMW spade connectors and compare them with the typical ones. If they look/fit different, I'll just get the OEMs.
They are different. If you have RS Trade counter they will have these, but they usually sell them in large quantity. BMW one cost something like £0.80 each
xardas (12-14-2021)

Quick Reply: Pre-LCI (2004) $522 (Xenon) to LCI $524 (AHL Dynamic Xenon) retrofit