E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Pre-Fob BMW Keys

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 01:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

Anyone tried to modify the old diamond shape key to the newer style key fob?

If you bought a new fob, could the transmitters, battery, etc be moved into the new fob body? The obvious sticking-point would be the physical key. Obviously on the newer BMW's the car is started without the physical metal key. But could this be fitted to the side of the key fob on a pivot mechanism that comes out at the press of a manual push-pressure button like on the old Merc's?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:04 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2009 W211
Model Year: 2017

interesting..anyone??
Old 04-19-2011, 08:25 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530d MSport Auto, 19" 172 Spiders on ContiSports 2's, Pro Nav, Adaptive Xenons, Bruce M's V6 Rear LCI Cables/Lights, Number plate LED

If there is enough demand for this I may try and come up with a solution. But its all dependent on whether the 'internal donor organs' of the diamond fob will fit and work in the transplant unit.

All suggestions greatly welcome.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:36 AM
Senior Members

Im very interested in this as well....unfortunately nobody is responding to the thread. Come on people!!! Lol
Old 04-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Members

My Ride: BMW

Interesting idea, I helpe my younger brother change his key for the newer flip key design on his old astra.

http://www.andi.mat.btinternet.co.uk...rum/keyfob.pdf

I suppose anything is possible.

I also would be interested in acheiving the same.
Old 04-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530D Lee
Interesting idea, I helpe my younger brother change his key for the newer flip key design on his old astra.

http://www.andi.mat.btinternet.co.uk...rum/keyfob.pdf

I suppose anything is possible.

I also would be interested in acheiving the same.
Great write up 530D Lee.

I'm sure there must be a way for this transformation. But I guess there are 2 main areas of this potential project. At it's highest level:
[1] Ways to make the 'internal organs' of the old style diamond key fit into the new key fob.
[2] The mechanics of getting the actual metal key to be an operational part of the design; obviously with the fob the actual metal key becomes a secondary elemental to its everyday usage.

I guess the metal key could just be held in the pocket on the new key fob as it already is. But this would be unpractical as you would need to manually take it out of the 'pocket' everytime you had to start the ignition. Another issue would be by separating the physical key from the pad, the probability of loosing either parts increases; after all a pad without the key would be pretty useless! Also, when turning on the ignition, the key needs to feel solid. On the current key fob there is just a little plastic top at the end of the key; so it fits into the 'pocket' of the key fob main body.

The above 2 points are based on the following assumptions:
(A) An OEM BMW fob would be used as the recipient.
( To make the end product look as OEM as possible.
(C) Keep the metal key and the fob as one unit during operation.

I've attached a few photos of the diamond and new fob design so maybe this will help to get the creative juices flowing. Another possibility is to get a custom OEM-style fob body designed and manufactured. But this would only be feasible if there was enough demand for the this conversion.

If this can be done, it would be interesting to see the confused faces of the SA's at the stealership! Like when they told me I couldn't install LCI rear lights on a pre-LCI model when I collected the units. When I returned some time back, after having installed the Bruce Miranda's V6 cables, they were confused and scratching their heads. Got to love the SA's!
Attached Thumbnails Pre-Fob BMW Keys-img_1539.jpg   Pre-Fob BMW Keys-img_1541.jpg  
Old 04-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Senior Members

How will you guys start the car with the new fob? Do the old 04-05 cars have push to the start?
Old 04-19-2011, 03:58 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
How will you guys start the car with the new fob? Do the old 04-05 cars have push to the start?
Read the previous posts carefully and you will be able to answer your own question.
Old 04-19-2011, 04:15 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Percy_991
Read the previous posts carefully and you will be able to answer your own question.
Sorry didn't see that. I think its just a extra hassle...especially since you have to keep another key on you. Why not get a BMW USB drive that looks like the new key and be happy .
Old 04-19-2011, 05:03 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aretardedorange
Sorry didn't see that. I think its just a extra hassle...especially since you have to keep another key on you. Why not get a BMW USB drive that looks like the new key and be happy .
We are trying to 'adapt' an OEM fob so we do not need a separate key. I personally prefer the key fob style as I had this when I had my E92.

But I think you have found the answer we were all looking for; we will go out and buy some BMW USB drives. Thanks for this sparkling bout of ingenuity.

Quick Reply: Pre-Fob BMW Keys