E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

PowerChips

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2005, 11:14 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Guys, i'm thinking to 'chip' my car. It will gain about 14-18 HP and I think what they gonna do is to re-program my ECU.

The cost will be about $400-$500. What do you guys think? Any opinions..?

Thanks.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

Do they have a demo car you can drive? How much torque do you gain? Not sure how noticable 14-18hp will really be, but if you can drive it, you'll know if you think it's good value for money or not.

Clive
Old 05-17-2005, 02:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Originally Posted by clived' date='May 17 2005, 03:45 AM
Do they have a demo car you can drive? How much torque do you gain? Not sure how noticable 14-18hp will really be, but if you can drive it, you'll know if you think it's good value for money or not.

Clive
[snapback]129538[/snapback]
I don't think there's any demo car that they have for me to drive. Well, i will gain about 12-15 lb. ft of torque. The process/programming gonna takes about an hour or so.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:37 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

I was thinking about getting the same, but decided not to. I believe that the 530i is set towards its maximum / lifetime.
I mean I would be afraid what the engine lifetime will be after such tuning..... Also it is not good for the transmission at all.

I'm for chiptuning, but only with diesels, the engine is way different and there is a lot of potential. But really the 530i is probably at its optimum top.

Also Hamman, ACS, Alpina.... nobody from the brandy tuners offers tuning for 530i. I guess they know why.
Old 05-17-2005, 07:13 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 545i Sport Auto (see sig)

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='May 17 2005, 12:14 AM
Guys, i'm thinking to 'chip' my car. It will gain about 14-18 HP and I think what they gonna do is to re-program my ECU.

Thanks.
[snapback]129526[/snapback]
Which company? powerchip.com quotes something crazy like $1500 for a 91-octane chip that gives only like 9 HP under 5k RPMs. They also have a 93-octane chip, but where the heck can you get 93-octane fuel, the airport?
Old 05-17-2005, 01:27 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Merzbow' date='May 17 2005, 10:13 AM
[quote name='soc_fans' date='May 17 2005, 12:14 AM']Guys, i'm thinking to 'chip' my car. It will gain about 14-18 HP and I think what they gonna do is to re-program my ECU.

Thanks.
[snapback]129526[/snapback]
Which company? powerchip.com quotes something crazy like $1500 for a 91-octane chip that gives only like 9 HP under 5k RPMs. They also have a 93-octane chip, but where the heck can you get 93-octane fuel, the airport?
[snapback]129649[/snapback]
[/quote]

The price that you saw was for 545i. The retail price for 530i is $640 but my buddy can get it for me at range of $400-$500.

Yeah unfortunately here at bay area, it's hard to get 93-octane fuel.
Old 05-17-2005, 02:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535D Sport Auto

The gains sound a little low for the outlay. Surely the std 545i goes like sh*t off a shovel
Old 05-17-2005, 03:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

I was looking into the chip for my 545i. I was quoted around $1500 and the 14-18hp. The way it was explained to me is that although the car is designed for 91 octane, it has to deal with the wife screwing up and putting in 87.

Supposidly, the chip just maximizes the overall performance. don't think it would do anything to the engine life as long as you don't over-rev and the car does not knock.

15hp will not impact the transmission or drivetrain.

I worry about overall drivability, however living in S. Cal it is not like I am driving in extreme temperature conditions.

You can always have it re-programmed back to the original calibration - you are just out the initial cost.

From talking to people, I think by doing the exhaust, air filter and chip, I should be able to add about 20-25hp (545i) which will get me closer to the new 545/550 - not that I need it. But of course, I did not need a 545 either - it is that want thing.

Any feedback from anybody that has done the chip?????
Old 05-18-2005, 05:47 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

Come to Europe, we have 95 octane the lowest, up to 100octat at every gas station You will save on chip tuning
Old 05-18-2005, 06:25 AM
Senior Members

Its a different octane system then the U.S. uses

Quick Reply: PowerChips