E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Possible to order sports steering wheel in US?

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2004, 08:11 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

Hi Everyone,

I have finalized my order for a 545i with my CA last weekend for November ED. I am getting: Sports Package, premium auburn seat, Steptronic, navigation, logic 7, and rear shades. The only thing that I really wanted, but was unable to get is the sport steering wheel, a la SMG's.

Has anyone tried to order successfully anything that was available in other countries, but not US? Or if this is unprecedented, can someone give me the option code of the sports steering wheel (as a stand alone option). I will try to call BMWNA and try to convince them in accepting my order with the sports wheel ( does anyone have BMWNA's number?)

Please help. My car can be 100% perfect if I can get this wheel...
Old 07-19-2004, 10:53 AM
Contributors

Well you could just order an SMG....

I'd just order the car as is for the regular "sports" steering wheel has a rather thick rim to it and goes well with the car.

If you're still not happy, maybe you'll be able to order the M5 steering wheel when your car has arrived.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:23 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: MY05 545i Jet Black with Auburn interior. SMG, Logic7, Sport Package, Comfort Seats, Navigation.

That's what my CA told me. However, some people in the U.S. have ordered unavailable options such as color, interior combo..etc by pleading with BMWNA.

Our Canadian neighbors can order this option but why can we? Perhaps it's not that hard
to convince BMWNA to make me an exception?

For the record, I've test driven E60 both with sport and regular wheels, sport and comfort seats. My verdict is that comfort seat is way better than sport seats (so I added to my order) and the fat sport steering wheel looks and feels better than the standard one.

Is there no way to get it unless going for the SMG? (SMG is too jerky in auto and gets worse mileage leading to $1,000 additional gas guzzler tax)
Old 07-19-2004, 11:28 AM
Contributors

Is the SMG wheel a lot fatter than the regular wheel? Not sure if I have the regular wheel, but it's pretty thick to begin with.
Old 07-19-2004, 11:57 AM
Senior Members

check this thread Wheel
Old 07-19-2004, 01:21 PM
Contributors

speedracerF4i, you may be able to go to other country BMW site(Canada) to get the code, but sure someone has it here. Might be able to get it as part of the M-sport package?? if we get it here in the US.

I am hoping to finalize my order this Saturday, so was there some more info on the 05 model when you filled out your order other than noted in previous posts?

Is it a for sure thing for the Gas Guzzler Tax on the SMG? Anyone in the US that got SMG had to pay it? The dealer price lists show a n/a for the GG tax.

Nice Bike there speedracerF4i, had a F2, and now have a '03 ZX9R. Sure are fun.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:42 PM
Members

I think I read in another thread that if "Steering Wheel Heating" is ordered then the wheel supplied is slightly thicker than the regular wheel. I guess it needs to be in order to accomodate the heating element.

If the Sports steering wheel isn't available, then this might be an option if you just want a thicker wheel.
Old 07-19-2004, 01:50 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the compliment CRRobert on my bike. This is why my 96 328i has only 70,000 miles. Your ZX9R kawi will dust my F4i though......

I finalized the order without knowing the prices yet. I ordered my thru New Century BMW for $1,000 over ED invoice with options; whatever that price would be.

For MY05, there is only small changes from 04. I didn't have to buy Park Distance Control because it will come standard. I am opting for comfort seats anyway, so the standard lumbar support (05) will be redundunt.

Regarding the Gas guzzler tax on SMG cars. Go to www.carsdirect and select SMG option. You'll see that a $1,000 will be applied to your order.

Anyways, this is the letter I just send to my CA and awaiting reply:

Hey Dave,

Thanks for showing the Auburn interior to my wife, we're both very confident now in choosing this color.

One last request. I really like the sport steering wheel found on the SMG equipped cars. I know in the U.S., you don't have
the option to buy it as a stand alone feature for my automatic 545 car. My question is this, can you check with
BMWNA or perhaps, I should call them myself to beg if they can let me order this steering wheel? Our canadian neighbors
are allowed to order this feature for about $100. I don't mind that. The option code for this wheel I believe is SA710

Can you check this for me? Or if you can tell me who and how to contact BMWNA to plead..

Thanks

I'll let you guys know what my CA finds out from BMWNA
Old 07-21-2004, 10:21 AM
Senior Members

My CA just notified me that BMWNA will NOT let me order sports steering wheel (#255).
I guess they just don't want to make a precedence or the flood gate will be open and everyone will want mix-and-match options.

Oh well, it was worth a try.........Unless someone have a better idea, by all means, do tell.
Old 07-21-2004, 12:28 PM
Contributors

It?s been mentioned before but to change the steering wheel as a retrofit is proportionally probably one of the most expensive option alterations on a modern car.
As a standalone factory mounted option/alternative the sport wheel is less than 100? in areas where this is offered. As a (official) retrofit it?s well over 10 times more expensive (plus labor) - mainly but not only because of the need to replace the airbag.

Guess that M5 style steering wheels on non M5-cars has become much less frequent since airbags.

(in absolute numbers a comfort seat retrofit is of course more expensive but the parts cost is "only" 4-5 times the factory option)

If you?re a gadgetaholic the retrofit option catalogue is really a dangerous read as every factory option suddenly seems like a bargain.

best
objetti

Quick Reply: Possible to order sports steering wheel in US?