E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Possible hub distortion?

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 06:31 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short, warped a set of discs within 2 months so bought a new set of Brembos.
Fitted them today but when I spin the wheel I got this (watch video)

1 Wheel seems to be catching on the pads when I spin it pointing to distortion of the hub?
The bearings are fine, no play at all.

HELP!?
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chris f' post='1073382' date='Dec 14 2009, 10:31 AM
Long story short, warped a set of discs within 2 months so bought a new set of Brembos.
Fitted them today but when I spin the wheel I got this (watch video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNfbLCqVhm8

1 Wheel seems to be catching on the pads when I spin it pointing to distortion of the hub?
The bearings are fine, no play at all.

HELP!?
Do you get any pulsation when you brake?

It's very possible that the one brake disc that has a slight high spot will be OK but to CYA you should notify the supplier that it's not true and they should send you a replacement.

I'm sure you are aware there is a break-in procedure for new brake pads / rotors. Google the forum for particulars.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:58 AM
Members

The car is still on stands, I haven't driven it yet so I don't know if there is any vibration.
I just hope its not the hub, as they're ?240 each.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:40 PM
Members

UPDATE:
Took the car out, and I can feel vibration through the steering, its only slight but its noticeable and it increases in frequency with speed.
The vibration does not occur under braking.
The tyres are new (4 months old) and the wheels have been balanced twice.

Any more ideas? poop tyres maybe? (Dunlop SP Sport 3000)
Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

You mentioned warping the discs and getting Brembos. Did you replace the rotors? Or just the calipers and pads?

Many times warped rotors aren't actually warped. Its uneven pad disposition on the rotors. Ypu may have a severe case of that on one side. It may be possible to clean the rotors with a good bedding in session. That's a good idea with new pads anyways. See Zeckhausen Racing

Note I accidentally added a way to accelerate the cleaning process. Wash the car (or at least wet down the rotors) and let the car sit over night. The rotors develop a fine layer of rust and a bedding in process the next morning has a little extra friction to clean off the uneven pad disposition.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Richard in NC' post='1073685' date='Dec 15 2009, 01:18 AM
You mentioned warping the discs and getting Brembos. Did you replace the rotors? Or just the calipers and pads?

Many times warped rotors aren't actually warped. Its uneven pad disposition on the rotors. Ypu may have a severe case of that on one side. It may be possible to clean the rotors with a good bedding in session. That's a good idea with new pads anyways. See Zeckhausen Racing

Note I accidentally added a way to accelerate the cleaning process. Wash the car (or at least wet down the rotors) and let the car sit over night. The rotors develop a fine layer of rust and a bedding in process the next morning has a little extra friction to clean off the uneven pad disposition.
I changed the pads and the rotors (discs) Calipers have been cleaned and the sliders thinly lubricated.
The discs cant be warped yet as they're brand new, and the vibration is happening all the time, not just when braking.

Would the wheel alignment cause the vibration?
Old 12-15-2009, 04:18 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

Originally Posted by chris f' post='1073905' date='Dec 15 2009, 04:23 AM
I changed the pads and the rotors (discs) Calipers have been cleaned and the sliders thinly lubricated.
The discs cant be warped yet as they're brand new, and the vibration is happening all the time, not just when braking.

It would then most likely be a bad rotor or installation.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

mark the relation of the disc to the hub, and take note when the disc rubs the pads. then remove the disc and turn it 180 degrees on the hub, and see if the rubs matches in relation to the rotor or the hub.
Old 12-16-2009, 08:12 AM
Members

As the disc only fits on the hub one way this should be fairly easy to determine.
Its snowing here now so maybe i'll wait a while....
Old 12-16-2009, 08:30 AM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by chris f' post='1073905' date='Dec 15 2009, 04:23 AM
New rotors can be warped and / or out of balance.

A reputable supplier should replace them w/o charge. Wheel alignment alone won't cause vibration but will cause uneven tire wear that will result in vibration.

Quick Reply: Possible hub distortion?