E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Possible Alternative to Miranda Cables

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 08:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 BMW ///M5 V10

Hey guys, so I was looking at the Miranda cables and what not and it seems to me that theres a simple alternative to this. Please stop me if I'm wrong as I have not seen the LCI wiring in person. But basically the reason you'd get a bulb out warning is because of the LEDs, they dont draw enough power and thus the computer thinks the bulb is burned. Now from what i've read BMW offers a wiring "conversion kit." if you simply attach a couple of resistors onto the LED wires, won't that fix the bulb out warning?

I have LED turn signals on my car in the front, and i simply tapped in resistors to both sides so that I wouldnt get the bulb out error and it works perfectly. So whats the difference here?

Thanks,

Matt
Old 04-12-2009, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 E60 530i, 2012 E70 X5 35i
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by BMWPower06' post='845381' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:05 AM
Hey guys, so I was looking at the Miranda cables and what not and it seems to me that theres a simple alternative to this. Please stop me if I'm wrong as I have not seen the LCI wiring in person. But basically the reason you'd get a bulb out warning is because of the LEDs, they dont draw enough power and thus the computer thinks the bulb is burned. Now from what i've read BMW offers a wiring "conversion kit." if you simply attach a couple of resistors onto the LED wires, won't that fix the bulb out warning?

I have LED turn signals on my car in the front, and i simply tapped in resistors to both sides so that I wouldnt get the bulb out error and it works perfectly. So whats the difference here?

Thanks,

Matt
Nope. its not that simple. The conversion kit u are talking about requires the LCI headlights also and $$$ programming from BMW as well as the conversion kit and new LCM's.

Bruce's cable makes the Light rods in the lci light up correctly and prevent any errors.

If you have the money, definitely go for the OEM LCI conversion kit (probably a couple of grand). If you can't do that. go with Bruce's cable. The best option.
Old 04-12-2009, 08:28 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nigxdoof' post='845411' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:25 AM
Nope. its not that simple. The conversion kit u are talking about requires the LCI headlights also and $$$ programming from BMW as well as the conversion kit and new LCM's.

Bruce's cable makes the Light rods in the lci light up correctly and prevent any errors.

If you have the money, definitely go for the OEM LCI conversion kit (probably a couple of grand). If you can't do that. go with Bruce's cable. The best option.
So how would the light rods light up then?

What i'm saying is basically buy the wiring kit from BMW, as they make a wiring kit for pre and post LCI tail lights, then just simply tap resistors into the LED wires
Old 04-12-2009, 08:45 PM
Senior Members

Just checked on Real OEM, BMW offers a retrofit kit for the E60. It includes tail lights and wires. Retail is $650, im sure tischer etc will be cheaper. Now if you buy this kit and install the light, simply take your car to the dealer and ask them to reflash your LCM via the retrofit path using MoDiC III or DISPlus or GT-1.

As seen here for the E39 5er:
http://www.funcar.ru/BMW/docs/EBA/4184EN.pdf

and here for the E46 3er with LED tail lights:
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showpost.php?...amp;postcount=8

This method works, I know this because i did a retrofit on my 02 E46 and put the LEDs on it.

The main issue most dealers make is that they do NOT reprogram the LCM via the retrofit path. They MUST do it via the retrofit path for LED tail lights.
Most people can even get it reprogramed for free.

Matt
Old 04-12-2009, 08:55 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: A Car

try it and let us know. I wanna do the headlights.
Old 04-12-2009, 09:00 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brabusw209amg' post='845431' date='Apr 13 2009, 12:55 AM
try it and let us know. I wanna do the headlights.
My friend is very interested in the LCM tail lights, which is why im asking around. I'm pretty good with wiring, I've done a lot in my day. Did a full bi-xenon conversion on an E46 that came with factory halogens. Wired up rear fogs for cars, TONS of angel eye installations, etc.

So I think my friend n i will take a trip to tischer BMW this weekend, buy the parts and I'll see what I can come up with. The miranda cables are quite simply too expensive and I'm sure the reprogrammed LCM should work.