E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Popping in my front suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 02:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Popping is the best way i can think of to describe it. I only notice it when I crank the wheel or hit a bump at low speeds. I believe it is coming from my left front wheel.
A perfect example: I am turning at a light and cross a train track in Boston. I'm going slow enough to hear and feel it...

My car has 89k miles on it and I had issues with the right control arm 20k ago and had it fixed. Since then it's been smooth sailing.

Any suggestions? I hate going to the stealership but I am due for an oil change in 800 miles or so and figure I can get it inspected then.

Thanks guys!
Old 08-04-2009, 03:32 PM
Senior Members

my 05 545i just started this lightly at 38k miles...but I thought it was my 19 rubbing a bit...got me!
Old 08-04-2009, 06:38 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

Go to a reputable BMW mech and have them diagnose (most likely control arm or MAYBE bearing) the problem and give you an estimate. I'm lucky enough to have one of the most reputable indie BMW mechs two blocks away from my house, but I'm sure that there are a few in your area as well. Its not pleasant, but it is what it is - you have to do maintenance.

GL
Old 08-04-2009, 06:50 PM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: MY07 525xi Silver Gray
Model Year: 2007

Have them check your ball joint either/or on the lower wishbone or the steering linkage. GL!
Old 08-04-2009, 09:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

i have the exact same problem in my 545 as well but on the pass. side only. i only hear it when the wheel is turned and going over a small bump.

i noticed this only after i installed my springs and shock, so i might of missed something during the install. in fact i planned on taking it apart tomorrow to see what the culprit is and hopefully fix it!

i'll report my findings here when i'm done. wish me luck! haha
Old 08-05-2009, 07:56 AM
Members

Thanks guys...e6t...keep me posted please!
Old 08-05-2009, 01:52 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

KCooke82,

just got done taking apart my front shock and spring and I found my problem!

I noticed my spring had turned just a little and was not seated properly. How do I know? Well the stamped "Eibach" on spring should be facing towards the wheel or the front of the vehicle, whereas mine was pointed more towards the rear. In doing so, the pointed oblong part of spring was literally "rubbing" the wheel well cover while being compressed, e.g. going over bumps. (while looking at the springs from the top, you will notice it is not spherical in shape, more or less like an egg shape round). The "eibach" stamp was partially rubbed away. I'm convinced this was my problem and thank goodness it's nothing more. sad to say but by the looks of it you may have a bigger problem than this.

considering that you have nearly 90k miles on the original shocks, maybe it's time to have them replaced (w/ Bilsteins sports shock ) maybe a bolt had gotten loose or a part maybe worn/damaged (like someone said earlier: balljoints) or worse another control arm, but the only way of knowing for sure is to have BMW take a look at it. sorry i wasn't of much help but good luck
Old 08-06-2009, 06:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat' post='966704' date='Aug 5 2009, 05:52 PM
KCooke82,

just got done taking apart my front shock and spring and I found my problem!

I noticed my spring had turned just a little and was not seated properly. How do I know? Well the stamped "Eibach" on spring should be facing towards the wheel or the front of the vehicle, whereas mine was pointed more towards the rear. In doing so, the pointed oblong part of spring was literally "rubbing" the wheel well cover while being compressed, e.g. going over bumps. (while looking at the springs from the top, you will notice it is not spherical in shape, more or less like an egg shape round). The "eibach" stamp was partially rubbed away. I'm convinced this was my problem and thank goodness it's nothing more. sad to say but by the looks of it you may have a bigger problem than this.

considering that you have nearly 90k miles on the original shocks, maybe it's time to have them replaced (w/ Bilsteins sports shock ) maybe a bolt had gotten loose or a part maybe worn/damaged (like someone said earlier: balljoints) or worse another control arm, but the only way of knowing for sure is to have BMW take a look at it. sorry i wasn't of much help but good luck
Looks like you lucked out! I appreciate your update. I'll either bring it to BMW or a mechanic.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:30 AM
Contributors

sorry, this is childish but i read pooping...im still laughing. im an idiot. then you said it only happens when you hit a bump at low speeds. i lost it, my co-workers are looking at me. ok, back to your topic.
Old 08-06-2009, 07:38 AM
Contributors

lol. poop