E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Phase 1 Stero system complete :doors

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 06:15 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rjcastr' post='423468' date='May 11 2007, 03:03 PM
KU--

You wont be able to control any processor from your seat unless you have the controller installed or a touchscreen that is compatible that gives you the capability to control it. If money is no object the H900 all the way baby!!! nothing will beat this thing, i have heard a Merc with all Alpine F#1 status components and processors and let me tell you , i dont think i have ever heard anything like this before. Money for all of us is usually an issue and at whopping 4000$ its out of my pocket range i ca put a small system together for that much. Anyhow, i say if you can come up with the money go for it!

hers a link to a used one i found on line
http://sfbay.craigslist.org/sfc/ele/328220119.html $1100

If you are going with an infinite Baffle make sure you insulate the living crap out of your trunk as it will serve as your enclosure, even then i hear you will get some rattling coming from the rear bumper brace metal, at least that's what i was told. do share some pics of your pods id love to see them
RJ
I am more than likely going to do the H900 I have access to them and not at 4k either or I would not be spending that kind of money on one piece of equipment. I will have the trunk so sold. I dobt that the bumper suppoert will rattle I have take the bumper off and it is pretty solid not may parts that are connected. I checked it all out when I put my mtech kit on. Here are a few pics of the pillars. They are not in the car yet. I went to BMW and got extras to make these. They will also be sueded because I no longer like the look of the factory grill cloth all over the top half of the car not to mention my kids have already put dirty finger prints on it.

Old 05-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

Pretty impressive.. how much did you pay for the extra a-pillars? i wetnt to a shop and they said the couldnt put my tweeters
because of the airbag.is that the cal27 tweeter?
thanks
nelson
Old 05-12-2007, 09:41 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='423591' date='May 11 2007, 11:02 PM
Pretty impressive.. how much did you pay for the extra a-pillars? i wetnt to a shop and they said the couldnt put my tweeters
because of the airbag.is that the cal27 tweeter?
thanks
nelson
The pillars cost me 36 bucks from the dealer and 5 bucks for grill cloth. No that is not a cal 27 that is a cal 28. I thought the airbag woulb be an issue as well but I have clearance. Now mind you if the air bag deploys it may send my tweeter flying at me. I do have them straped down from the back. You want me to make some for you?
Old 05-12-2007, 11:55 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KU530' post='423705' date='May 12 2007, 01:41 PM
The pillars cost me 36 bucks from the dealer and 5 bucks for grill cloth. No that is not a cal 27 that is a cal 28. I thought the airbag woulb be an issue as well but I have clearance. Now mind you if the air bag deploys it may send my tweeter flying at me. I do have them straped down from the back. You want me to make some for you?
Thanks for the feedback. i also have the cal28. i will love it if you can make them for me
Old 05-12-2007, 03:04 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='423740' date='May 12 2007, 02:55 PM
Thanks for the feedback. i also have the cal28. i will love it if you can make them for me

KU

that looks very nice, great job on the tweeters thats my next option also on some front stage sound but i want to wait until eveyrthing is installed this week to hear how it will sound. Everyone that i know tells me once i hear everything tuned and installed no more will be needed so i guess it will have to wait. If i go with a centerstage set of tweet components and tweeters on the pillars i might have to get another processor for just that, but thats the next phase if i choose to go that route. that might be overkill but the CDT audio demo car has 10 solid frontstage speakers a 7" in the door with a tweeter a 4" midbass in the kickpannel 2" tweeters in the center stage and pillar tweeters as well, ive heard the damn car and its insane, the way it was tuned, i might as well have the freaking artist singing straight at me .

rj
Old 05-12-2007, 08:24 PM
Senior Members

I have run into a problem. My simple install just got complicated. There is no way I am going to get my midbass in the floor. so now I have to fab the door. I was so hoping not do have to do that but those Powerlines are so beefy. My goal was to keep as stock looking as possible but so much for that. I may just build some kicks for the midbass I will make a few baffles and play around to see what sounds the best before I fab anything.

Nelson if you want me to make your pods for the a pillars send me some extra pillars and I will hook it up for you.

RJ I say get a center channel you have the space for it. When tuned properly the center is your best friend. Run it passive. you have enough channels on the H701 to do it. You want need tweets in both the kicks and the pillars. in my maxima I ran only the tweets in the kicks with a center and oboy was that nice. but I am did plug my tweets in by tapping the factory plugs to get a since of stage height and it is perfect.

Oh I also solved my processing dilima and I got the h900!!!!!
Old 05-12-2007, 11:34 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by KU530' post='423811' date='May 13 2007, 12:24 AM
I have run into a problem. My simple install just got complicated. There is no way I am going to get my midbass in the floor. so now I have to fab the door. I was so hoping not do have to do that but those Powerlines are so beefy. My goal was to keep as stock looking as possible but so much for that. I may just build some kicks for the midbass I will make a few baffles and play around to see what sounds the best before I fab anything.

Nelson if you want me to make your pods for the a pillars send me some extra pillars and I will hook it up for you.

RJ I say get a center channel you have the space for it. When tuned properly the center is your best friend. Run it passive. you have enough channels on the H701 to do it. You want need tweets in both the kicks and the pillars. in my maxima I ran only the tweets in the kicks with a center and oboy was that nice. but I am did plug my tweets in by tapping the factory plugs to get a since of stage height and it is perfect.

Oh I also solved my processing dilima and I got the h900!!!!!
You can only fit the earthquake sws-8 subs under the seat. the mounting depth is 2 1/8. i went to a shop and they quoted me $800 to fabricate some door pods.
those rainbow are huge. my original goal was also to keep it stock but RJ made realize that it was impossible to do it. now my goal is to keep it as stock as possible.
Old 05-13-2007, 06:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i (SMG) Titanium Gray Black Interior, Anthracite Trim M-tech kit Sport Package Premium Sound Satellite Radio Active Cruise Comfort Seats Navigation Folding rear seats

Originally Posted by nelson29' post='423836' date='May 13 2007, 03:34 AM
You can only fit the earthquake sws-8 subs under the seat. the mounting depth is 2 1/8. i went to a shop and they quoted me $800 to fabricate some door pods.
those rainbow are huge. my original goal was also to keep it stock but RJ made realize that it was impossible to do it. now my goal is to keep it as stock as possible.

Let me know what you think about this idea, if it would even work:

My preference has long been to use Image Dynamics horns instead of component speakers. I had horns in my Acura Legend years ago, and they sounded amazing. Even better than the Dynaudio speakers I had in my Lexus following that. Horns are great because they are simple to install, and don't require any cutting of the factory door panels or anything like that. They replace tweeters and midrange speakers in a single unit. But to get the best performance from them, it is recommended that you add some midbass speakers up front to compliment them. Anything from about 6.5 iches to 8 inches. In my Acura, I used 8 inch Image Dynamics IDQ woofers in the front doors.

So a typical car stereo with horns would consist of the following:

2 horns (each under the dash of the driver and passenger side)
2 midbass drivers (usually a 6.5 to 8 inch woofer, installed in the front doors, or preferrably in kick panels)
Subwoofer in trunk.

That's it. Rather simple.

My problem is that the factory door speaker locations are too small for any speaker over 4", unless you modify the door panel. So my next option would be to build custom kick panels. But I don't want to do that either, because I would lose the driver's dead pedal. So I am kinda stuck on where to go now.

One idea which I have come up with would be to use the underseat woofers. Do you think that the Earthquake SWS-8 would make a good midbass driver to compliment horns up front? Obviously the underseat position is not ideal, but this method would not require any serious altering of the car's panels. Any thoughts?
Old 05-13-2007, 08:22 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by subterFUSE' post='423889' date='May 13 2007, 10:52 AM
Let me know what you think about this idea, if it would even work:
My preference has long been to use Image Dynamics horns instead of component speakers. I had horns in my Acura Legend years ago, and they sounded amazing. Even better than the Dynaudio speakers I had in my Lexus following that. Horns are great because they are simple to install, and don't require any cutting of the factory door panels or anything like that. They replace tweeters and midrange speakers in a single unit. But to get the best performance my planfromhat them, it is recommended that you add some midbass speakers up front to compliment them. Anything from about 6.5 iches to 8 inches. In my Acura, I used 8 inch Image Dynamics IDQ woofers in the front doors.
So a typical car stereo with horns would consist of the following:
2 horns (each under the dash of the driver and passenger side)
2 midbass drivers (usually a 6.5 to 8 inch woofer, installed in the front doors, or preferrably in kick panels)
Subwoofer in trunk.
That's it. Rather simple.
My problem is that the factory door speaker locations are too small for any speaker over 4", unless you modify the door panel. So my next option would be to build custom kick panels. But I don't want to do that either, because I would lose the driver's dead pedal. So I am kinda stuck on where to go now.

One idea which I have come up with would be to use the underseat woofers. Do you think that the Earthquake SWS-8 would make a good midbass driver to compliment horns up front? Obviously the underseat position is not ideal, but this method would not require any serious altering of the car's panels. Any thoughts?
I think the sws-8 works best as a dedicated midbass on a 3 way sysytem. ive really never heard horns before, but i read that the earthquake are pretty good speakerse u
Are you leasing the car? im planning to keep my car for awhile. why not go all the way and build some door pods? like rj did. that my plan right now. tweeters in the a-pillars and my 7" midbass in the doors. a properly tune up 2 way system can sound almost as good as a 3 way.
Old 05-13-2007, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Horns are nice but an absolute bitch to tune. And depending on what motor you use they can be very very expensive. I feel you not wanting to cut any of the door panels, that was my original goal but since there is no way for me to get my midbass under the seat I am back to the drawing board. I am still more than likely using the stock midrange location and building kicks for my midbass. Another option for you would be to use tweet, ribons for the midbass and find a small midbass. I am not sure about the earthquake 8". I know that it would not find a home in my car but for the person that just wants a little more punch that may not be a bad option.

Quick Reply: Phase 1 Stero system complete :doors