E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Performance chips -- Thoughts on this?

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 02:36 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

What's up all....

I was doing some misc. surfing today and came across this on the Net for performance chips. Looks to be similiar to the Dinan Stage 1, 2, & 3 software updates, but wondering what anyone's experience and thoughts are. I know that EuroRev does a lot of remapping and this seems like one of those "too good to be true" type of things. I'm new to this, but seems to be too easy.

http://www.myhotbmw.com/bmw/Surge/Performa...nce_Chip/533052

Thanks!

-J
Old 07-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Members

which ever remapper you choose

trust me, you will NOT look back

excellent mpg and power increase, more so with diesils!

go for it, dinan may even have other upgrades additional to ecu remapping alone maybe!!

In any case Ecu remap goes hand in hand with upgraded brakes, (pads and discs)
Old 07-11-2008, 03:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 530i 6M

Originally Posted by SAP_MAN' post='621603' date='Jul 11 2008, 06:36 PM
What's up all....

I was doing some misc. surfing today and came across this on the Net for performance chips. Looks to be similiar to the Dinan Stage 1, 2, & 3 software updates, but wondering what anyone's experience and thoughts are. I know that EuroRev does a lot of remapping and this seems like one of those "too good to be true" type of things. I'm new to this, but seems to be too easy.

http://www.myhotbmw.com/bmw/Surge/Performa...nce_Chip/533052

Thanks!

-J
You can't get anything decent in terms of a software update for $89.99. No way.
Old 07-11-2008, 03:46 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

What are the options if I live no where near cali? I want to get a chip but I cannot ship my ECU out.
Old 07-11-2008, 04:15 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i - Jet Black | bld 01/2005 | Black Dakota Leather | Sport Package | Cold Weather Package | NAV | Sports Seats | Sirius Satellite | Logic 7 | Multi-Disk | Shades | STEPTRONIC | Adaptive Xenons | Anthracite Maple | K&N Filter - Charcoal removed | Pinnacle 35% Tint | Blackout Kidneys | Black Calipers | Dinan Throttle Body | Dinan Pedals | EU Safety Triangle | e60 Clings | RPI Scoop | Black/white roundels | LED Interior Light Update CIP 31.2

Originally Posted by slickE60' post='621651' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:25 PM
You can't get anything decent in terms of a software update for $89.99. No way.

That is my concern as well. Too good to be true. This particular item looks like a chip that is plug in and over-rides signals, so not a true remap, but more of a 'cheater'. Seems like it would impact iDrive or other electronics to me.
Old 07-11-2008, 08:25 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i Jet Black / Black Dakota Leather / Bamboo Wood Trim Premium Package / Sport Package / Active Steering / Nav / USB & iPod Adapter / Built-in iPhone Craddle / Xenon Headlights / Adaptive Headlights / More to List PERFORMANCE DINAN S2 Tuned / 13.0 psi Twin Turbo Boost DINAN Free-Flow Complete Exhaust 399hp / 426 lb-ft Torque 2007 BMW M Roadster (Available @ SwapALease.com) Interlagos Blue / Black Nappa Leather Premium Package / Cold Weather Package / Xenon Headlights

Originally Posted by E60BEEMER' post='621639' date='Jul 11 2008, 07:03 PM
which ever remapper you choose

trust me, you will NOT look back

excellent mpg and power increase, more so with diesils!

go for it, dinan may even have other upgrades additional to ecu remapping alone maybe!!

In any case Ecu remap goes hand in hand with upgraded brakes, (pads and discs)
Yes you are 100% right, the MPG will not change to a noticable point HOWEVER we have an obligation to educate him since he mentioned that he is new to this that his BMW warranty will be voided if he upgrades or does anything with anything with any company other than Dinan.

Maybe its not the most horsepower you can get for your money but hey if something breaks down I want to know that my BMW service center will take my car.

Hope this helps.

Good luck!
Old 07-12-2008, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

On a 545i motor there just isn't a lot you can do to it. Even opening up the check book and going nuts on mods you'll be lucky in a dyno test to pick up 25-30 HP. I'd be shocked if any chip out there would give you much more then 10-15HP. Even Dinan biggest package for the 545i (stage 2) for 11.5k only gives you 30HP. That is remapping, high flow intake, high flow throttle body, free flow exhaust, and a 3.45 differential for lower in torque. In the end I bet it won't even take .3 secs of the 1/4 mile.

BMW engines in general are tuned pretty tight. Really your turbo models are the ones that you can do crazy mods to and actually get HP out of it in the end.

Pesonally spend your money on a nice exhaust and afe intake. You can do all that for about 1K to 1.5K and get about 12-18HP. Then spend money on ext. mods like M-tech kit, wheels, and so on. Chasing more HP out of your 545 isn't worth it in the end when you compare $$$ to HP. If you really want a remap talk to r1racer on here. I'd just be worried of your warranty being voided or butting heads in the end to get something fixed by the dealer.
Old 07-12-2008, 08:19 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 545i - Titanium Silver/Black, Sport pkg, Comfort Seats w/ Lumbar, Premium Sound, power rear sunshade, Adaptive Xenon Headlights, Steptronic, Park Distance Control, Fold down rear seats w/ski bag, Aux jack, 6-disk changer, puddle lamps... Engine: Custom Remus cat-back exhaust w/chrome square tips, K&N Air Filter, Charcoal Filter Removed, Sprint Booster :-), 50/50 mix of 91+100 Octane, EuroRev ECU Remap (coming soon lol), Dinan High-Flow Throttle Body (coming soon...maybe lol) Interior: Portable Sirius Stilletto 100 w/car kit, Garmin Nuvi 680 mounted below rear-view mirror, LCI-style I-drive knob, Dark Poplar Center Dashboard Trim. Exterior: E60 forum clings, 5% rear tint, ACS roof spoiler (painted black for distinct look against limo tint), ACS trunk spoiler, ACS add-on front spoiler and rear apron (awaiting installation), "18 Black Staggered BeBeS Style OER (emergency replacement for cracked sport 124 rims), black kidney grill, white accessory lighting (including license and trunk lamps), Angel-eye upgrade, AIB xenon-matched fog lamps, AIB V3's on order, red rear reflectors

Originally Posted by skylolow' post='622042' date='Jul 12 2008, 06:16 AM
On a 545i motor there just isn't a lot you can do to it. Even opening up the check book and going nuts on mods you'll be lucky in a dyno test to pick up 25-30 HP. I'd be shocked if any chip out there would give you much more then 10-15HP. Even Dinan biggest package for the 545i (stage 2) for 11.5k only gives you 30HP. That is remapping, high flow intake, high flow throttle body, free flow exhaust, and a 3.45 differential for lower in torque. In the end I bet it won't even take .3 secs of the 1/4 mile.

BMW engines in general are tuned pretty tight. Really your turbo models are the ones that you can do crazy mods to and actually get HP out of it in the end.

Pesonally spend your money on a nice exhaust and afe intake. You can do all that for about 1K to 1.5K and get about 12-18HP. Then spend money on ext. mods like M-tech kit, wheels, and so on. Chasing more HP out of your 545 isn't worth it in the end when you compare $$$ to HP. If you really want a remap talk to r1racer on here. I'd just be worried of your warranty being voided or butting heads in the end to get something fixed by the dealer.
Joe (r1racer) got me hip on the EuroRev ECU remap. Don't know about my quarter times, but the car IS definately much more responsive, faster, and enthusiastic to drive. One of the best <$600 mods. Of course, I am running an AFE high-flow intake and remus free-flow exhaust, in addition to the remap. Keep in mind that the stock programming is not optimized for the pure enthusiast - it also has to be programmed to handle those that see the car merely as point a to b transportation, and could care less about particulars (such as the use of good detergent, high-quality, high-octane gasolines). A remap has no such considerations - and can be programmed to a more aggressive profile, ecking the most out of the engine. 15 to 20HP for <$600 aint half-bad (though I am researching a more, uh, gaseous solution to my need for speed ).
Old 07-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

PM me for the EuroRev/SI remap. I will give you instructions on removal and shipping.

Warranty will not be voided unless you show off to your dealer that you messed with the ECU. I just took my car to the dealer and I was fine.

PS. Check r1racer's sig for real dyno numbers on the Dyno Dynamics!
Old 07-12-2008, 08:43 AM
Contributors

My Ride: alpinewhite's ride

r1racer's dyno:

DYNO STOCK = 243.8 whp and 245 ft. lbs. (Dyno Dynamics)
DYNO w/ Reflash = 257.9 whp and 265 ft. lbs. (Dyno Dynamics)

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=49826

Quick Reply: Performance chips -- Thoughts on this?