E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Painted calipers and Lowered

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 03:02 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2010 535i Alpine white Premium PKG -Two tone cream/beige Dakota leather seat trim -Universal garage door opener -Auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors -Auto-dimming rearview mirror -Illum inner door handles -Illum door storage bins -Front footwell lighting -Rear entry/exit lighting -Additional trunk lighting -LED exterior ground lighting -High Definition Radio -Heated Front Seats DVD-Based Navigation System -Controller w/voice command system -Expanded iDrive system -Real time traffic info

Hey guys. I finally went out and bought a caliper paint kit. I originally purchased the red caliper paint kit and after attempting to paint the front caliper first, decided that this wasn't the way I wanted to do it. This was mainly because the paint was just not going on evenly no matter what I tried. The paint came in a can and you actually brushed it on with a cheap little brush provided in the kit. Oh, not to mention the bristles kept coming off the brush and sticking to my caliper. It just didn't look good to me. Sooooo, after the front caliper was almost completely painted, I returned to the store to check out some other options. I ended up finding the caliper paint in spray paint form. I also saw that there were different colors of what seemed to be similar paint, also made by dupli-color, but it was labeled "engine enamel". It was rated at the same temperature as the caliper paint and upon reading the can I saw that it had the same application procedures and ratings as the caliper paint. I decided to give the engine enamel paint a try because they had a neon greenish color that I really liked. I saw some calipers on a white widebody M3 at BimmerFest that were a similar color that I thought were awesome. I know it's a little flashy but what the hell! I ended up taking the calipers completely off, well almost completely(left brake lines attached) to clean them well and just to get a more even application. After cleaning them with brake cleaner and a wire wheel i attached to a drill, they were finally ready to paint. It was pretty simple. I just masked off the parts that weren't getting paint and started spraying away. I also sprayed the hubs(think that's what they're called) black. It came out very nice and I think the little extra time and effort it took to take the calipers off was worth it. Sorry if the green is not everyone's cup of tea but I think it definitely pops and is very different. I'm already getting tons looks!

At the end are some pictures of my E60 535i and my buddies E93 335i. We are both slowly getting to where we want but still have a lot of work to do! Mine is sitting pretty low on KW V2 coilovers and my buddy is on Eibach springs. When I first installed the coils the car was still sitting too high for my taste so I dropped it quite a bit more to my liking. Sorry for the poor quality pictures. I'm still using that iphone 3Gs lol I know I need to upgrade. Hopefully soon we can do a shoot with a real camera lol

The red looks good in the picture but trust me it was horrible in person
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0493.jpg
The rear caliper before
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0506.jpg
Rear caliper removed, final coat drying
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0494.jpg
Rear caliper and hub painted
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0497.jpg
Worked late into the night, shot in the garage
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0504.jpg
Front caliper and hub ready to go
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0510.jpg
Tried to enhance the photo a bit, camera is horrible
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_05721.jpg
A bit closer
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_05731.jpg
Front(Don't mind the scratched wheels lol soon to be refinished)
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0514.jpg
Rear
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0516.jpg
Here's the paint
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_0517.jpg

Painted calipers and Lowered-img_05441.jpg
Big bro and little bro!
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_05451.jpg
My buddies E93 335i looking clean
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_05461.jpg
Beautiful Palm Springs CA
Painted calipers and Lowered-img_05471.jpg
Old 06-18-2012, 06:01 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White w/ Gray Interior; Premium, Sports, Cold Weather; Comfort Access, NAV, iPod Adapter, Sat Radio Upgrades: ★ OEM 166 (245/35F : 275/30R) ★ Motorcepts HID AEs & Fogs ★ License Plate LEDs ★ 35% Tints ★ Wish List: MTech Kit : Matte Black Kidney Grilles : R1 Concepts / Hawk Brake Kit : Blacked-out Orion Headlights

Great job. I actually think the green looks pretty good. So you think it was the paint or the brush as to why the red wasn't going on correctly?
I bought a similar kit by G2 and am planning to get different brushes as all it comes with is a crappy styrofoam wedge on a stick
Old 06-18-2012, 07:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: [N62]

Great job, I like it!

As for the paint brush, I used the styrofoam and paint brush. I prefer the paint brush better (the kind that has a metal handle) It's weird that G2 kits come with one or the other. G2 paint is really good stuff. You can buy Preval spray canister for their paint systems.
Old 06-18-2012, 07:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 08 528i TiAg Premium/Cold Weather Pkg, 20% Tint, Technic Harness, JL Audio 12W7, JL HD 750/1 and LOTS of lighting mods!!!!!

How did you remove the old paint from your calipers? I've been thinking about redoing mine.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:28 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Alpine white Premium PKG -Two tone cream/beige Dakota leather seat trim -Universal garage door opener -Auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors -Auto-dimming rearview mirror -Illum inner door handles -Illum door storage bins -Front footwell lighting -Rear entry/exit lighting -Additional trunk lighting -LED exterior ground lighting -High Definition Radio -Heated Front Seats DVD-Based Navigation System -Controller w/voice command system -Expanded iDrive system -Real time traffic info

Originally Posted by rest0r
Great job. I actually think the green looks pretty good. So you think it was the paint or the brush as to why the red wasn't going on correctly?
I bought a similar kit by G2 and am planning to get different brushes as all it comes with is a crappy styrofoam wedge on a stick
Thanks, I thought it was pretty cool too. I would say that it was for sure the brush. I would recommend the paint in the can form if you are willing to completely take the calipers off and use a different brush for sure. with the calipers on I just felt like i couldn't do the job properly; at least to my standards. The red paint in the can did seem to have a nicer finish to it but the problem really was the brush.

Originally Posted by Lambda28
Great job, I like it!

As for the paint brush, I used the styrofoam and paint brush. I prefer the paint brush better (the kind that has a metal handle) It's weird that G2 kits come with one or the other. G2 paint is really good stuff. You can buy Preval spray canister for their paint systems.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by MORI3L
How did you remove the old paint from your calipers? I've been thinking about redoing mine.
It was a pain in the ass! I used a wire wheel attachment on a drill but all the little cracks and crevices were a bi%#h!
Old 06-18-2012, 10:03 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i, Dinan intake, Dinan exhaust, RPI ram air scoop, smoke vinyled taillights and eyebrow on headlights, smoked LED side markers, 17 piece LED interior lights, color matched fog lights to HID's, 20w LED angel eyes, Sprintbooster V2, Gunmet

Dude the green actually looks great with your color scheme! Was your car lowered at bimmerfest? Catch you next time Im in the valley bro. Heading home tonight to some cooler weather!
Old 06-19-2012, 05:32 PM
Members

Originally Posted by 5mokem
Dude the green actually looks great with your color scheme! Was your car lowered at bimmerfest? Catch you next time Im in the valley bro. Heading home tonight to some cooler weather!
Thanks man! My car was on the coils but it was sitting pretty high. I didn't have the chance to lower it before bimmerfest. But ya it's super hot here bro so enjoy the weather back home!

Old 06-22-2012, 09:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2007 ★ Alpine White

nice cactus mailbox... lol
Old 06-22-2012, 11:43 AM
Members

Originally Posted by SD5Series
nice cactus mailbox... lol
Haha ya that's at my buddies moms place. He didn't want me to post that pic because of the mailbox lol you get that maxton front installed yet by the way?