E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Painted Brake Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 07:24 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White w/ Gray Interior; Premium, Sports, Cold Weather; Comfort Access, NAV, iPod Adapter, Sat Radio Upgrades: ★ OEM 166 (245/35F : 275/30R) ★ Motorcepts HID AEs & Fogs ★ License Plate LEDs ★ 35% Tints ★ Wish List: MTech Kit : Matte Black Kidney Grilles : R1 Concepts / Hawk Brake Kit : Blacked-out Orion Headlights

Looks great guys. I bought the G2 kit from tire rack in black color. I just need to find a garage now as I live in an apartment

How long do you think it takes to dry? I'm concerned driving soon after will melt the paint right off.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:33 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2008 AW N52 with sports package & premium package; natural brown interior MODs: Orion V2s 3000K H8 Yellow Fogs Matte Black Kidney Grills 20" Miro 111 Hankook V12 Tires H&R Sport Springs Special coding via Simon (dbl flash hazards, digital velocity, etc.) LED Side Markers from Trinity Autosports LED License Plate Lights from Trinity Autosports Carbon Delete BMC Air Filter RPI Scoop RPI GT Exhaust Future MODs: Mtech Kit KW Variant 2 Coilovers CIC Retrofit Upgrade Audio System

Originally Posted by wtlb
Looks kid my man!!
Opps. Sorry for above. I was typing on my iphone. Looks great!! I think I want to do the same in black or silver for my alpine white.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:56 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW E60 530i, upgrades: Magnaflow exhaust, Mtec angel eyes and low beam head lights, Just purchased 172 style wheels, looking around for the best tires on Tire Rack now. R1 concepts rotors drilled/slotted. Saving for the M-style kit from Trinity Auto.

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
I decided to paint my brake calipers. I talked to a couple people and I was recommended to go with Dupicolor. This is a ceramic paint that will handle 500 degrees of heat. This paint is VERY thin. Dries pretty fast which is good but, I still put about 7 coats of paint on the calipers. Did not have to remove caliper, just clean with break cleaner and scrub it a few times to remove all brake dust. then wipe it down with a damp cloth to help. I spent about 20 minutes just to clean each caliper. The cleaner you can get the caliper, the better the paint will stick. let me know what you guys think. Took this picture this morning in the garage with the door closed.
Looks great, good job!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:14 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

looks great! i've been wanting to do mine too. so you didn't remove the calipers when you painted them?
Old 06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Members

My Ride: Silver 550i: Orion V2 - LCI Tail Lights - VRM 710 (Powder Coated Matt Black) - Magnaflow Cat Back Exhaust - Painted Brake Calipers (Red) - Painted Rear MTEC Kit (Black) - Window Tint (Windshield 70% - All other Windows 55% - Smoked Side Markers
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by rest0r
Looks great guys. I bought the G2 kit from tire rack in black color. I just need to find a garage now as I live in an apartment

How long do you think it takes to dry? I'm concerned driving soon after will melt the paint right off.
It doesn't take long to dry. Depending on the temperture it will be 10-20 minutes to dry in between coats. I used Dupicolor. I am sure each brand is a little different. The product I used had to be applied by using a brush. The good news is you do not need to remove the calipers. The bad is that it takes time. I did 7 coats of paint until I saw no more imperfections. I could of stopped at 4 coats but I was being real picky. Over all I am EXTREMELY pleased with the color and quality of the paint. The most important thing is to make sure you clean the surface real well. Paint won't stick of it is not clean. DUPICOLOR has a kit. It includes: paint, brush, masking tape, caliper cleaner. For about $15-$20. I used a wire brush with the cleaner and a damp rag. I spent 20-30 minutes alone to clean each caliper. Also, jack up your car and do one side at a time. Clean both calipers first, then start painting. Rotate between the calipers front to back. You do NOT want there to be more than 1 hour of coats because your paint will wrinkle and will have to remove paint and start over. Each coat of paint took me about 15-20 minutes to apply. Which worked out perfect in between coats. Get something to sit on or to rest your knees on.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:10 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: Alpine E60, '09 535i-Premium, Sport and Comfort Access PackageMods: Lux H8 V3 Angel Eyes, Weisslicht LED license plate lights, Interior LED lights, RPI Scoop, Matte Black Grills, Smoked LED side markers & side reflectors, 35% tint all around, and a 3

Looks great.
Old 06-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i Alpine White w/ Gray Interior; Premium, Sports, Cold Weather; Comfort Access, NAV, iPod Adapter, Sat Radio Upgrades: ★ OEM 166 (245/35F : 275/30R) ★ Motorcepts HID AEs & Fogs ★ License Plate LEDs ★ 35% Tints ★ Wish List: MTech Kit : Matte Black Kidney Grilles : R1 Concepts / Hawk Brake Kit : Blacked-out Orion Headlights

Originally Posted by TU2TLE
It doesn't take long to dry. Depending on the temperture it will be 10-20 minutes to dry in between coats. I used Dupicolor. I am sure each brand is a little different. The product I used had to be applied by using a brush. The good news is you do not need to remove the calipers. The bad is that it takes time. I did 7 coats of paint until I saw no more imperfections. I could of stopped at 4 coats but I was being real picky. Over all I am EXTREMELY pleased with the color and quality of the paint. The most important thing is to make sure you clean the surface real well. Paint won't stick of it is not clean. DUPICOLOR has a kit. It includes: paint, brush, masking tape, caliper cleaner. For about $15-$20. I used a wire brush with the cleaner and a damp rag. I spent 20-30 minutes alone to clean each caliper. Also, jack up your car and do one side at a time. Clean both calipers first, then start painting. Rotate between the calipers front to back. You do NOT want there to be more than 1 hour of coats because your paint will wrinkle and will have to remove paint and start over. Each coat of paint took me about 15-20 minutes to apply. Which worked out perfect in between coats. Get something to sit on or to rest your knees on.
Thanks for the tips.
Old 06-18-2012, 11:29 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 02/2006 525i Titanium Silver Metallic Manual 6-Speed

I plan on doing this very soon. Any other tips?

Thx
Old 06-18-2012, 11:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

i would humbly suggest some BMW Motorsport decals and a clear coat over them so they dont peel...

i did that with my caliper paint job here: https://5series.net/forums/topic/119...st__p__1429992
Old 06-18-2012, 03:07 PM
Members

My Ride: 2010 535i Alpine white Premium PKG -Two tone cream/beige Dakota leather seat trim -Universal garage door opener -Auto-dimming pwr folding exterior mirrors -Auto-dimming rearview mirror -Illum inner door handles -Illum door storage bins -Front footwell lighting -Rear entry/exit lighting -Additional trunk lighting -LED exterior ground lighting -High Definition Radio -Heated Front Seats DVD-Based Navigation System -Controller w/voice command system -Expanded iDrive system -Real time traffic info

Nice, I just did this too. Adds a little personality

Quick Reply: Painted Brake Calipers