E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Paint Chip Fills

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 02:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paint Chip Fills

I have some amount of pockmarks on my ride.
Im talking the small marks that go down to the metal.

I bought OEM paint in order to touch up these marks.

Does anyone have input or a thread link on how to do this with the best results?
I dont need it perfect but Id like as close as I can get through DIY.
Old 10-30-2012, 03:00 PM
Members

My Ride: '09. Sport. Premium. Nav. C/T.Charcoal delete.K&N air filter.Kidneys.

drcolorchip.com
Old 10-30-2012, 04:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 BMW 545i Silver,Gray, Metallic. Blk Dakota leather. Nav. Heads up disply. PDC. Pro logic 7 sound. 35% tint. Mods. MTECH body kit. OEM trunk finisher and M5 spoiler.OEM 166 wheels. Blk and wht CF Roundels. Orion V2 AEs. LCI taillights with Ricky effect. LED interior lights. LED license plate light. HID fogs. Smoked LED side markers. White cluster mod. Coding. RPI scoop & BMC filter. Gloss black OEM grills.CF interior trim. B&B exhaust.

Originally Posted by Magic city e60
drcolorchip.com
Does this stuff work as well as it looks on the demo videos?
I've never been able to get good results with touch up paint.
Old 10-30-2012, 06:53 PM
Members

Please verify this Magic City.

You may be completely legit, but Im suspicious of posters with 4 posts who only post links... these companies often hire people to get the word out.
Old 10-30-2012, 08:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 E60 528i 6MT, Sports Package, Premium Package, Navigation

you can check out youtube reviews on dr color chip. doesn't seem to work well. my issue is i can't find any touch up paints to match my car. i've bought OEM BMW touch up paint and another vendor brand with my paint code, and it always looks almost black. my car is deep sea blue metallic. =/
Old 10-30-2012, 10:05 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: BMW E60 M5
Model Year: 2010
Engine: S85

Originally Posted by mo858
you can check out youtube reviews on dr color chip. doesn't seem to work well. my issue is i can't find any touch up paints to match my car. i've bought OEM BMW touch up paint and another vendor brand with my paint code, and it always looks almost black. my car is deep sea blue metallic. =/
Dang isn't OEM bmw touch up suppose to match your original paint
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

1. Go to a automotive paint store or NAPA. Get a pint or half pint of paint that is mixed to your color number located under you hood. They will mix this for you there.
2. Ask them for a sword touch up brush or you can use an artist type brush.
3. Get a bottle of 3M polishing compound for clear coat. On the back it should say that it will remove somethinig like 1000 grit, so you need to be aware that you do not use a stronger sandpaper. In this case you would only >1000 grit
4. Get a quart of clear and the activator for it. I believe it only comes in smallest a qt, but ask. Sometimes they have it opened and will sell you a pt. or even 1/2 pt. Same with the activator.
5. Have them explain to you the mixing ratio. Normally, 3 parts clear and 1 part activator. In this case, it doesn't have to be precise, just in the ball park.
6. Get you a few sheets of 1500 and 2000 g wet paper.
7. A small container of thinner to clean the brush when you are finished!
8. Take the brush and tap in the the thinner then touch it on the chip area, then take a paper towel and wipe it off. This will clean it well for the paint is applied.
9. Make sure your paint is stirred well and take the tip of the brush and dab a little paint in the chip. Go slow, it may take 2-3 times... With metallic colors you need to go slow since the metallic when too wet will lay over and appear darker...
10. Don't do anything for the next day. Just let it dry....
11. Take the 1500 and some water and light sand the area smooth. You may still have a negative area here, this is ok. Check for full paint coverage and touch up a little more if needed. AGAIN, only wet sand a little until you feel that it's flush or negative.
12. Wipe it dry with a paper towel NO THINNER! Oh you need to make sure the paint is dry if you haved added any more!
13. Mix your clear. You only need a LITTLE of this! No sense in wasting it because it's not cheap...
14. Use your hand dandy touch up brush to apply the clear over the area. You will probably go out just a little on to the original color, but try to keep it in the chip area.
15. After TWO days, wet sand lightly with 1500 and then the 2000g paper.
16. Put a small amount of compound on a soft rag and rub the area. This will take about 2-3 applications and then when look shinny.
17. Now, the most important part, GO DRINK A BEER!!! And not the cheap stuff either!
This process is a little bit costly up front, but once you buy it, you have it for this need. Doing it this way is 100% better than getting some crap in a nail polish bottle. Most often, when you do it this way, you won't even see it afterwards.
I have several chips in my car and plan to do a DIY with photos. Hopefully over TG holidays I can get it all together.
Old 10-31-2012, 09:13 AM
Members

Tony,

This is a sick reply, thank you. exactly what I was looking for in meeting my criteria of both having many steps & promising great results. I love it!

Im going to give this a go, will check in on results in a week or so. Probably will do a thread as well.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:35 PM
Members

Drcolorchip is the real deal. Application process is easy. DIY, novice level. Their website and demo videos are an exact replica of the results. Paint match is top-notch. I have a Deep Sea Blue Metallic, color code a76. The results are impeccable. I usually touch up, if necessary, after each time she gets detailed.
Old 10-31-2012, 05:39 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Maddog-99
Please verify this Magic City.

You may be completely legit, but Im suspicious of posters with 4 posts who only post links... these companies often hire people to get the word out.
Understood. I don't post much because I don't have much to say. But I peruse this site two or three times every day. I love the sense of community and the pride of owning an e60. This is my 5th BMW as I have owned several e90s and e92s.

Quick Reply: Paint Chip Fills