E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Other ACM owners - are you getting disturbance on the Video

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2008, 07:00 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

Having used the ACM for a while I just wanted to post two small issues that I've had with the ACM kit and wondered if others have had similar experiences.

1. Have you noticed that when you come out of reverse the reverse camera goes off immediately but then the screen is blank for quite a while before returning to the iDrive menu. This is because if you were using the PDC display that would stay on for much longer after you have finished reversing. Only problem here is that the camera shuts off immediately after the reverse gear is disengaged but the display is blank.

2. I am getting intermittant video disturbance on the screen, its like as though there is a loose connection or something. But having used all the OEM BMW connectors I don't know where to start looking. But I've shaken everything and there's nothing obviously loose. Also the picture display seems to have some alternator whine type disturbance showing up.

Anyone else had these issues?
Old 07-26-2008, 09:56 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Gone Waiting

Originally Posted by bruce_miranda' post='633070' date='Jul 26 2008, 11:00 AM
Having used the ACM for a while I just wanted to post two small issues that I've had with the ACM kit and wondered if others have had similar experiences.

1. Have you noticed that when you come out of reverse the reverse camera goes off immediately but then the screen is blank for quite a while before returning to the iDrive menu. This is because if you were using the PDC display that would stay on for much longer after you have finished reversing. Only problem here is that the camera shuts off immediately after the reverse gear is disengaged but the display is blank.

2. I am getting intermittant video disturbance on the screen, its like as though there is a loose connection or something. But having used all the OEM BMW connectors I don't know where to start looking. But I've shaken everything and there's nothing obviously loose. Also the picture display seems to have some alternator whine type disturbance showing up.

Anyone else had these issues?
number one is that you have selected camera for both rear and side.

if you do not have front camera , you shou;d leave your PDC on for front then you will not get blank screen.

number 2 , try to use a video amplified distributor
Old 07-26-2008, 12:27 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak

Originally Posted by vishwen' post='633112' date='Jul 26 2008, 06:56 PM
number one is that you have selected camera for both rear and side.

if you do not have front camera , you shou;d leave your PDC on for front then you will not get blank screen.

number 2 , try to use a video amplified distributor
Oh so you are saying that because I have the rear camera and the front camera input (which I used for the iPOD video) enabled the car is switching between the rear and then the front camera - which in my case is blank. I'll test this theory by putting my iPOD in video mode to see if that shows up instead of the blank screen. How do I leave my front PDC only on, the ACM just has a single option i.e. show PDC or rear camera.

as for number two, why should a video amplifier solve the problem. I'm not actually distributing the video to multiple screen, just the iDrive screen. I seems like there is some Ground Loop somewhere, I'll try to see what happens if I run the DVD player off its own battery.

Any other ideas?

Another issue I managed to isolate was the fact that my ACM was not switching to AUX automatically. I found that to be caused by the Dension Gateway. Basically the ACM is trying to get to the AUX input by issuing iDrive commands but the Dension fights it. If I move the Dension switch to the CD Changer then all works fine. This is infact not a bad thing because I prefer the Dension AUX to the ACM Aux.
Old 08-01-2008, 04:15 PM
Contributors

Ok this is now confirmed. That the Blank Screen I was getting was the ACM displaying the Front Camera image after the reverse gear was off. So what happens is that the ACM switches the Rear Camera automatically on Reverse and then immediately switches to the Front camera when reverse is off but then the Front Camera stays on until the car has reached a certain speed.

"front-view camera is switched off automatically after the car has been driven for 50 m or reaches a speed of about 30 km/h."

I still have not been able to figure out the use of the Option PDC 4 PDC 8 and PDC Off. Any clues.