E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Orion v2 v4 installs San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:27 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: coilvers retrofits
Model Year: 2001 and 2011

hmm interesting, wonder why the first post was deleted. i think i got a hold of a spare headlight, we should make a how to youtube video on that headlight!
Old 10-09-2012, 05:43 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Huh? I think it is VERY cool of ANYONE to post a DIY or offer of help free of charge on here. Nobody asked what YOU charge for anything. Sounds like you think that since others did it first and charge for it that no one should be entitled to the info on how to do it without some sort of royalty entitlement to them. SD5Series=HERO (Good idea on suggesting that he is trying to be that...to many DIYers he just became one :-)

Xanax bro....

Originally Posted by nelson29
So you're telling me that feel is a ripoff for guys like Simon, Chris, DK etc to charge $300 for something that take minimum 8hrs to do? Come on man. Ive done plenty of mods and i won't dare do the Orions. Shit i was the first guy here on the forum to do CIC retrofit and that shit is a peace of cake compared to Orions. Guess how much i would charge to install a CIC kit? No less than $300 and if will take me an afternoon to do it.

You got pics of your V4? POST them!! Are yours seals properly? are you gonna be there for them when there's a problem? I feel like this is a personal jab at the guys that are charging a reasonable for something thats not easy to do. Im pretty sure you pm those guys a bunch of questions since they were the pioneers in this and now you want to be a hero. Give me a break
Old 10-09-2012, 06:05 PM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

as a guy who makes good coin by owning his own wrap & customization shop (Republic Wraps & Customs Marina Del Rey....shameless plug!!!) ummm.....im all about DIY.

fact of the matter is....if you want to do the Orion install there are tons of DIYs on here already. problem solved.

BUT if you want to drop your headlights off at my shop, simons apartment or take them to DKNewYork or anyone else....and have them do it for you....come out some cash. period. its really that simple. im working on two sets right now....custom paint, custom wiring solutions, things ive created, ideas im borrowing from others, sending the lenses out to be refinished so they can be 100% pristine for my client, etc...its a lot of work and i charge top dollar. people want flawless work and they pay for it. if you want to do it yourself, then go for it....hell i encourage you. matter of fact i answer at least 2 to 5 PMs daily with people asking me to do a litany of DIY projects....i never charge for advice....i charge for labor.

i know this post was never direct toward me, i just wanted to clear the air. those who charge, charge for labor and their expertise.

for the record, Simon is an awesome guy. i have worked with him several times on many projects. i send business his way when im too busy to do it on my end. he stands by his work, his prices are fair, he's an innovator...same for DK out in NYC and several others. pay to have it done or dare to do it yourself...sounds amazingly fair to me right?

like always, PM me with questions or idea sharing. this community literally helped me turn a passion into a legitimate business. i am forever thankful to you guys
Old 10-09-2012, 06:09 PM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Silver Gray/ Gray Leather. SP,PP

It's easy for you guys to assume when you don't know the behind the scene details. I know what I'm talking about. I'm not gonna go back and forth, I could care less. I said what I had to say. There's plenty of DIY info posted all over the forums for anybody that wants to do it on their own..
Old 10-10-2012, 04:47 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: M5
Model Year: 2008

There is room for everyone to do the job. No harm in anyone offering services for free, partial payment, or full on install.

Chris - don't know your work sorry, but I'm sure if you have attention to detail for your wrapping, you'll be a good resources to send Orion v4/V2 customers to.

Simon - we have done work with Simon and trust he'll do a good job for anyone willing to pay for it.

SD5 - sorry don't remember your name, - also seems like a valuable resources.

Remember, you are just trying to make your angel eyes look like this:

Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

this is why people drop some pretty coin...this stuff takes forever....so far i have over 10 hours invested into this headlight project...and its not even done yet, about 8 more hours to go
Attached Thumbnails Orion v2 v4 installs San Diego-photo-47-.jpg   Orion v2 v4 installs San Diego-photo-46-.jpg   Orion v2 v4 installs San Diego-photo-45-.jpg  
Old 10-10-2012, 06:49 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by umichchris
as a guy who makes good coin by owning his own wrap & customization shop (Republic Wraps & Customs Marina Del Rey....shameless plug!!!) ummm.....im all about DIY.

fact of the matter is....if you want to do the Orion install there are tons of DIYs on here already. problem solved.

BUT if you want to drop your headlights off at my shop, simons apartment or take them to DKNewYork or anyone else....and have them do it for you....come out some cash. period. its really that simple. im working on two sets right now....custom paint, custom wiring solutions, things ive created, ideas im borrowing from others, sending the lenses out to be refinished so they can be 100% pristine for my client, etc...its a lot of work and i charge top dollar. people want flawless work and they pay for it. if you want to do it yourself, then go for it....hell i encourage you. matter of fact i answer at least 2 to 5 PMs daily with people asking me to do a litany of DIY projects....i never charge for advice....i charge for labor.

i know this post was never direct toward me, i just wanted to clear the air. those who charge, charge for labor and their expertise.

for the record, Simon is an awesome guy. i have worked with him several times on many projects. i send business his way when im too busy to do it on my end. he stands by his work, his prices are fair, he's an innovator...same for DK out in NYC and several others. pay to have it done or dare to do it yourself...sounds amazingly fair to me right?

like always, PM me with questions or idea sharing. this community literally helped me turn a passion into a legitimate business. i am forever thankful to you guys
What he said. It's not like we don't answer questions on how it's done or how we do it. We exchange advice and methods all the time. Answer anyone's questions.

As for DIY threads. I used the Umnitza E60 Orion install pdf for the very first time.

www.umnitza.com/install/E60InstallationGuide.pdf
Old 10-11-2012, 07:47 AM
New Members

this is why people drop some pretty coin...this stuff takes forever....so far i have over 10 hours invested into this headlight project...and its not even done yet, about 8 more hours to go
Since im thinking of doing a retro to install some HID's in my 530i, is it safe to say that the only way to open the lights is to cut them open?

Just wondering here!

Lucas
Old 10-11-2012, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 04 525i, 04 Dinan M3

Originally Posted by Lucas E Szymanowski
Since im thinking of doing a retro to install some HID's in my 530i, is it safe to say that the only way to open the lights is to cut them open?

Just wondering here!

Lucas
Yes
Old 10-11-2012, 04:56 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Modded 2010 Carbon Black M5 SMG and Modded 2008 Dinan 550i Sport

Yo Chris. I don't think any one questioned anyone anywhere in this thread about paying people for good work. I for one ALWAYS hire someone like you and pay whatever it costs me to get the work done in a quality like you give. Heck, I'd pay you triple for what you do just because of the passion you have, not to mention the attention to detail you give. However, all this guy said was that he had a free way to do something and he got jumped on.

Whatever his motives, he did not mention anyone and he certainly didn't offer any suggestion of disrespect to anyone who charges for work. Drives me nuts when people attack others like that because of some assumed "motives" for a post. Heck, even if he had a motive, who cares. In no way did he point any fingers. If he wants to offer free advice then no one should have any reason to say anything except "thanks".

I have never seen you jump on anyone for their DIY wrap jobs. In fact, in all cases, even when it has been quite obvious that you could have done perhaps a tighter job, I never recall you saying anything except "great job" and offering advice when asked. So as for this other guy who attacked him for his DIY, well I just don't think it is appropriate.

Not sure why this ruffled any feathers or why anyone had to chime in and defend the fact that they charge fees for their work when the OP never mentioned anything about that.

Now keep up the good work man! Wish we had someone like you to do wraps in GA!

-Mike

Last edited by ColdList; 10-11-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quick Reply: Orion v2 v4 installs San Diego