E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Origin B2 Mounting position??????

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2004, 01:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm keen to get the originb2. It sounds like an excellent piece of kit, a great gadget and a sensible precaustion too. However..... as the absurdly proud owner of a 530d (my first BMW) I am a bit loath to spoil the lines of the dash or allow anyone to start mucking around with the trim too much to install it. Cigar lighter power source looks messy. Laser detector in windscreen would look messy. Can it all be done neatly without spoiling the look?

Is a laser detector worth the effort? I've read that the beam is so narrow that unless they hit you with the beam (too late by this time) you would never pick it up on the detector.

Thoughts?
Old 07-15-2004, 11:55 PM
Contributors

James, I've sent you an email

DD
Old 07-19-2004, 03:59 AM
Members

I was thinking of getting some kind of GPS based detector, but a news report on the radio last Friday said that the the Government plans on banning them from next year . The Government feel they encourage people to speed and then slow down in time for the traps, thus not promoting safe driving. I would suggest a few more traffic police on the roads pulling up the idiots with no road sense might be a better solution.

Cheers,

Malc.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:03 AM
Members

Hi Guys,

Did anyone manage to get the B2 mounted nicely yet. I had a quick look today with my brothers unit but could not see any obvious places to put it.

One idea I have was to use the Sat Nav antenna for the B2 as well but I don't know what the impact of this is in terms of signal reduction etc...

Cheers.

2pin.
Old 04-23-2005, 11:31 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

I'd be interested in any pics as I can't see anywhere with enough decent space to mount it - currently thinking maybe in the space by the A pillar to the right of the instrument binacle.
Old 04-23-2005, 01:11 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by clived' date='Apr 23 2005, 02:31 PM
I'd be interested in any pics as I can't see anywhere with enough decent space to mount it - currently thinking maybe in the space by the A pillar to the right of the instrument binacle.
[snapback]119171[/snapback]
I'm in the same position - the space in the centre where Doctor Diesel has put his is a bit full of buttons - the only thing about the space by the A pillar is that it gets obstructed by the steering wheel the way I have mine setup.

Any pics would be great...
Old 06-28-2005, 08:33 AM
Sif
Members

Hi all not sure if you are still trying to get this sorted but I had mine fitted using a screwless mount from http://www.dashmount.co.uk/august04/71064.htm.

This fitted very discretely no wires etc and GPS receiver on dashboard. I moved the B2 from my E39 last month. I didn't bother with the laser detector this time for two reasons.

1. UK Police are apparently about to ban the lazer detection part
2. More importantly the only time it went off I stiil got nicked (85 on the M4 brutal)
Old 06-28-2005, 09:22 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 535d Sport in Carbon Black / high gloss shadow line and beige leather / dark poplar with professional nav, bluetooth phone prep, CD changer, bi-xenon adaptive headlamps, servotronic steering, folding mirrors, heated comfort seats, TV, extended voice control and Logic 7 hifi.

"UK Police" won't / can't do anything - act of Parliament required.... which stalled in the last session, so safe, for now