E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Ordered the tires for the BBS's

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 01:51 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Alpine White 2006 530Xi (SLD)

I was driving on one of our "wonderful" NYC-area highways and hit some piece of "debris", which put a big enough puncture into my front right tire to put it out of commission permanently. Additionally, the debris was large and hard enough to dent the 123 on the outer - yes, outer side - exactly where a spoke terminates at the rim. So, pretty much unfixable. AWESOME

So what did I - the smarty-pants do? Scratched my head for a couple of hours and ordered a set of 19's for my BBS's. I have a set of BBS CK rims currently residing in various places around my apartment (fiancé just loves them ), which I was originally planning to keep sheltered until "better days". But seeing how I'm driving down South in a couple of days, and getting a new DWS in 245/40/18 and a replacement 123 in Xi offset within a matter of 2-3 days was not really in the cards, I figured "let's go for broke". So, stupid me - I'm gonna do a long-distance car vacation on the brand new Hankooks and BBS rims. Sure hope the roads are nice and smooth out there...

Reason I ended up going with Hankooks after all? After having driven on the new suspension with my 18's on, I've realized that I do not need the hardest sidewall in the world. Also, I've read a review (I think it was by Car and Driver), where Hankook Ventus V12 Evo K110 was rated second only to Dunlop Direzza Sport Z1 tires. But most importantly, they were recommended to me by my fellow driving aficionado - Scott, who I cannot help but trust, because I know how well his driving skills are honed. At any rate, I ordered the tires - expecting them either today or tomorrow. Going to get the control arms looked at in the meantime.

This brings me to my question, does anyone here know if original/stock bolts will work on BBS CK wheels? And what wheel locks should I get? Preferably, something readily available from a local auto parts store.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:23 AM
Senior Members

You'll be fine driving down south Vlad. We drove Tim's 335xi on LMR's down to H2O/Waterfest in Maryland last year with no problems. Obviously you already know to be careful in NY but after that is was pretty smooth.

The stock lugs will work with the BBS's and you can also use the OEM wheel locks.
Old 04-13-2011, 02:59 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jay bimma
You'll be fine driving down south Vlad. We drove Tim's 335xi on LMR's down to H2O/Waterfest in Maryland last year with no problems. Obviously you already know to be careful in NY but after that is was pretty smooth.

The stock lugs will work with the BBS's and you can also use the OEM wheel locks.
Thanks Jay!
Once again you help me out with some much-needed info.

I'm surprised I'm not seeing more vendor-type participation from your peeps, btw
Old 04-13-2011, 04:37 AM
Senior Members

Ya...we haven't gotten into the whole stocking/selling parts thing yet, but we do alot of installs with customer supplied parts. Business has actually picked up alot already. This is going to be a crazy year!
Old 04-13-2011, 04:41 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by jay bimma
Ya...we haven't gotten into the whole stocking/selling parts thing yet, but we do alot of installs with customer supplied parts. Business has actually picked up alot already. This is going to be a crazy year!
I wish you guys lots of luck! Definitely awesome crew!

And yes, I also have a feeling this year will be pretty good. But as pertaining to the central subject of this forum, I think next year will be the pivotal one - that's when we will see the wave of modded F10's.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:50 AM
Members

My Ride: 09 535i Xdrive Technology package Premium Package Audiophile Sound Package

I just installed the same Hankook V12's on my new VMR wheels and my installer wouldn't let me use the black bolts from my OEM wheels as they would "clash" with my new hyper silver wheels.He threw in some matching silver bolts and they look great!
When I enquired about the wheel lock,we decided against it,as "this is not NYC "
Enjoy your new setup and thanks for your continued xi advice.
Old 04-13-2011, 06:38 AM
Contributors

Hey V!

I drove to Atlanta a couple of months ago and did a swing through to visit the BMW plant in Greenville. The highways are in considerably better shape than our NJ/NY roads despite their having a horrible winter in the south. I saw more frost heaves than potholes. But they only made for a jolt rather than a BANG!

That said, potholes can appear out of nowhere ... but on the southern interstates they seem to get better care.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:32 PM
Contributors

Update, my dear friends...

FOR F***'s SAKE, WHY CAN'T THIS F***ING CAR JUST GO! The amount of times I've wished for a Honda is like... dang... I'm furious! Now, I've received the tires, had them mounted on the BBS's. And guess what?! NO DICE! Need hubcentric rings FFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm gonna friggin torch this piece of junk and go lease me a Lexus. I love it so f***ing much, but every time I'm unable to drive it for whatever reason, I'm like in withdrawal. I am seriously pissed at the douche who sold me the rims, assuring me "you won't need the rings for sure!". And at myself - for not having done a test-fitting when I first brought them home. ooooooosssssaaaaaaaaaaaa anyway... I was lucky enough to find a shop, that stocks hubcentric rings in Brooklyn, so I'll be trying to make my way over there in the morning. Hope I can get it all taken care of.

Also, probably, gonna get another alignment - since wheels are different and the suspension settled. Screw it - its probably within fractions of being aligned anyway, so I'll tell my guy "half price"... and hope he goes for it whatever... I'm SO ready to trade it for an F10 lease and just fargin FAHHGGEEEDDABBOUDDDIT!!!! AAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I'm just playing, baby - I love you!
Originally Posted by ottawarealtor
I just installed the same Hankook V12's on my new VMR wheels and my installer wouldn't let me use the black bolts from my OEM wheels as they would "clash" with my new hyper silver wheels.He threw in some matching silver bolts and they look great!
When I enquired about the wheel lock,we decided against it,as "this is not NYC "
Enjoy your new setup and thanks for your continued xi advice.
My BBS's are also hyper silver, but I'm keeping the black bolts for now. I did buy the metal valve stems though.

Originally Posted by luigi524td
Hey V!

I drove to Atlanta a couple of months ago and did a swing through to visit the BMW plant in Greenville. The highways are in considerably better shape than our NJ/NY roads despite their having a horrible winter in the south. I saw more frost heaves than potholes. But they only made for a jolt rather than a BANG!

That said, potholes can appear out of nowhere ... but on the southern interstates they seem to get better care.
Thanks for the heads up, Luigi, caro! I was thinking about stopping by, but I'll be there on a Saturday - Zentrum will be closed

I really hope the roads are nice - with the new suspension and now even lower profiles, I'm supremely paranoid.
Old 04-14-2011, 03:02 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 545 modded the F out

Damn man,

Im sorry to hear all the bad times. Hopefully things will settle down and you'll be able to enjoy your mods after the hub rings and alignments are done.