E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Options for a base sound system?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 03:37 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, so I found out my car has the absolute base OEM sound system from factory

No external amp, so the speakers must be driven directly off the head unit.

What are my options for improving the sound system?

Anyone here upgraded their base system with the BSW package (amp, speakers and subs)?
Old 02-10-2010, 03:57 PM
Senior Members

the best option is to go full out aftermarket amps, speakers and all IMO. Getting the BSW would not do you any good since there's no amp, but you could get them and drive them separately with an aftermarket amp. I would go to a reputable audio shop and let them handle all the work.
Old 02-10-2010, 04:38 PM
Members

Yep, that was my plan... source the quality components myself, and give it all to a reputable audio shop to install professionally.

I want high quality speakers that will fit in the factory locations, and it seems BSW speakers are suitably sized.

I will look into BSW's amp offerings, but will also consider others like Alpine, JL Audio, just to compare.

What are the best / common locations for an aftermarket sub(s) in the E60?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:37 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

under seats and in the trunk
Old 02-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Members

BSW advise me they have absolutely NO upgrade options for the base sound system

Any other manufacturers out there that you recommend, which make drop in speaker replacements without any modifications to the trimming / panels etc?
Old 02-10-2010, 11:10 PM
GsQ
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 525i Premium Package "All Black Everything" EXT: 20% Tint All Round | M-Front (Weezy) | Black/White Roundels | Shadowline Paint Match Grilles | M Style Sidemarkers | Vertini Riviera-S 20s INT: I POD Intg | Trim Rings | ACS Pedals | Cobra XRS 10G LHT: Xenon Adaptive | XENESIS Fogs| WeissLicht Plate LEDS | Door LEDS I Interior Xenon Pkg PER: RPI Induction (Weezy) | BMC Filter | Sprint Booster V2 AUD: JL Audio

your best bet is earthquakes sws 8 i think you will need to modify just a tad to get it to fit snug from what i know. But seems as if most people just tap into the radio and battery and run a sub in the trunk it seems to be the consensus from what i see
Old 02-11-2010, 01:37 AM
Members

OK, based on the research I've done, I can go with the following speaker upgrades for my boring OEM standard stereo:
  • 2 x SWS-8 Earthquake "drop-in" subs
  • 2 x MB Quart QSD210
  • 2 x MB Quart RVF210
  • 1 x JL Audio 6-Channel Amplifier with following specs

# Rated Power 14.4 V Stereo: 75 W RMS x 6 @ 4 ohm 100 W RMS x 6 @ 2 ohm
# Rated Power 14.4 V Bridged: 150 W RMS x 3 @ 8 ohm 200 W RMS x 3 @ 4 ohm
# Rated Power 12.5 V Stereo: 55 W RMS x 6 @ 4 ohm 75 W RMS x 6 @ 2 ohm
# Rated Power 12.5 V Bridged: 110 W RMS x 3 @ 8 ohm 150 W RMS x 3 @ 4 ohm
# THD at Rated Power: <1% THD, 20 Hz - 20 kHz
# S/N Ratio: >104 dB referred to rated power (A-weighted, 20 Hz - 20 kHz noise bandwidth)
# Frequency Response: 10 Hz - 25 kHz (+0, -1d
# Damping Factor: >200 @ 4 ohm per ch. / 50 Hz >100 @ 2 ohm per ch. / 50 Hz
# Slew Rate: ± 22V / µs
# Input Range: 200mV - 8V RMS
# Dimensions (L x W x H): 17.70 in. x 9.25 in. x 2.50 in. 450 mm x 235 mm x 63.5 mm
# Description: Class A/B Six-Channel System Amplifier
# Patented Technology: Absolute Symmetry? Class A/B Circuit (U.S. Patent #6,294,959)
# Differential-Balanced Input Topology: For superior noise immunity, RCA jack inputs
# On-board Crossover: State-variable, 12dB / octave Butterworth with continuously variable cutoff frequency selection from 50 - 200 Hz. Configurable as Low-Pass or High-Pass
# Bass EQ (Channels 5&6 only): +6 dB fixed frequency, fixed 'Q' (defeatable) with port for optional remote bass control (RBC-1)
# Speaker output connections: Accept up to 8 AWG wire
# +12V and Ground connections: Accept up to 4 AWG wire

I could even go with some Focal 100KRS (K2 Power) 4" component speakers. Their mounting depth is 39mm. Is that going to be OK for the front doors??
Old 02-11-2010, 02:24 AM
Contributors

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: BMW E60 520d SE Saloon M47 2.0dTitanium Grey II, Grey−Dakota Leather, Visibility Package, Media Package, Through Load System, Lumbar support − fr seats, Automatic Air Conditioning−Advanced, High beam assistant, Hi−Fi Loudspeak
Model Year: 2006

I actually have another better solution but it will cost.

Get your car coded for L7. Then you can get the raw audio on the MOST bus send that into a DSP which in turn you run through an amp which drives all the speakers.

Otherwise you are always limiting yourself with what the HU is putting out. The biggest pain in our car is that the HU is doing the cross-overs which means that none of the speakers are getting a full range signal.

If however you want a good upgrade for cheap. Just get some OEM tweeters from people who have upgraded to the BSW set. Put them in the car and then drive some new earthquake subs under the seats using a feed from the rear parcel speakers.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:40 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by 530i-M
OK, so I found out my car has the absolute base OEM sound system from factory

No external amp, so the speakers must be driven directly off the head unit.

What are my options for improving the sound system?

Anyone here upgraded their base system with the BSW package (amp, speakers and subs)?

I also had the most basic sound system with no amp, sub and tweeters....

In the end I upgraded with Morel speakers all round, 2 x JL sub in the boot and JL amps to drive speakers and subs....I am happy with the results, but need to find a way to integrate ipod.
Old 02-11-2010, 11:46 AM
Members

Curious, would ANY 4" speaker fit in the OEM door locations?

I really like the Focal K2 series of component speakers, and they come in 4" components too

If they slip right in, I might go that route. Focal speakers are very high quality.

Those with SWS-8's under the front seats, driven by a 6-channel amp should be nice.

Quick Reply: Options for a base sound system?