E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Opinions please!

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2009, 01:34 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 04 525i Black/Black Sport, Prem, Auto

So I don't know when I'll get around to doing all this, but my plans for my 04 525 sport are 19" VMR VB2's in hyper black, lowering the car, adding m-tech, and black grills. My questions are:

What real difference will coilovers make as opposed to springs?
I'm under the impression that as far as coilovers go, I'll want KW's, but what springs/struts if I go that route (I'd like the car lowered but still comfortable)?
Tires? I've read General Exclaim UHPs are most bang for buck, has anybody had experience with Nexen N3000s?
With the M-tech kit I can see the difference in the front, but the rear I can't really tell, how much is it for just the front, or does that look kind of ghetto?
Cheap ways to pick up hp?
And last.. Where's the best places to buy all this stuff? Sorry I've looked at so many vendors my eyes are blurry so any input would be helpful.

Thanks a lot!
Old 01-19-2009, 01:40 PM
Former Vendor

My Ride: F13 M6

with coilovers, youll be able to adjust them. KWs have been the most recommended for coilovers. otherwise we can always do a spring and shock combo. tires, generals are popular and are good quality for the price. for the mtech, the rear makes the appearance of the car look longer, just like the front, and especially with the rear you can do a different diffuser, optional for quad exhaust that may be a future mod. just the front has been done but it will be a better deal to go with the full kit at its package price and it does come with all necessary hardware already. not too much for hp but we can always do an exhaust upgrade, aftermarket air filter, air scoop, ecu remap. I can help with all these mods. PM sent
Old 01-19-2009, 02:01 PM
Members

If you don't want to bite the bullet for KW coils, you can always lower the car with springs and retain your stock struts. For instance, we could lower your car on H&R sport springs and that would close up the wheel gap, but you would not be able to go as low as coilovers. With the H&R Sport springs, you are still going to have a pretty comfortable ride as well. If you lower the car with springs, I wouldn't recommend replacing the struts as well unless your current suspension is showing serious signs of wear. If you do go and replace the struts, your pricing for springs and shocks can get up there pretty quick, making it actually more sensible to go with coilovers.

As for the tires, General Exclaim UHPs are a really good bang for the buck. Nexen N3000 are a little louder and lack a little less in the performance category vs. the Generals. If you are on the fence about Generals vs. Nexen, I would defiantly choose General over the 2.

There is also nothing wrong with going with only the Mtech front. It won't look "ghetto"!

NeRwEEzy gave a great list of performance mods for your car. You won't find any huge gains with the mods, but some is better then nothing! Exhaust upgrades are nice because its something you can hear the difference in, as well as everyone around you.

Sonic Motorsports can help you with everything that you need. From the wheel/tires, to suspension, bodywork, performance. Feel free to PM me for a quote!

Thanks,
Andy
Old 01-19-2009, 03:48 PM
Senior Members

Springs just lower the car with the factory shocks but they do improve the handling and ride height of the car. With coilovers, you get both springs and shocks that are height and in some cases dampening adjustable. The main advantage is that you can dial in the settings you prefer whereas with springs you are set with what the manufacturer determines.

You can get away with a spring/shock combo like a set of Koni FSDs/Eibach Pro Kits which will lower your car and improve performance without the added cost of coilovers. I tend to recommend this route to people who are not serious about setting up the suspension but just want a lowered ride height and improved handling. If you are after a specific height and dampening setting, then coilovers are the way to go.

Generals are an excellent choice for the price. They are not the highest end tire but do offer a good level of grip (both wet and dry) and are very affordable. I would also look into the Kumhos, Goodyears and if you want a real high end tire, Michelin Pilot Sport PS2.

We can certainly assist you with any of these parts or packages so feel free to contact us with any questions.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:55 PM
Contributors

Whatever it is you're looking to buy, no need to look any further than the 3 who just responded to your thread....

All good people imho.

I have mods on my car from all 3 of them
Old 01-20-2009, 05:46 AM
Members

Thanks guys, I'll be getting quotes soon! Next question: I live in Northern California where it rains like 3 weeks out of the year so adjusting ride height doesn't really matter, sbut I may be moving to Portland or Seattle where it does snow. Would being able to adjust the height be that much more beneficial up there or does it not adjust enough to notice? Also, what kind of hp gains am I looking at? I know it's a 25i, but if I could pick up say 20-30 that would be enough. Thanks again!
Old 01-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Members

Any more input out there?