E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Opinions on LoJack

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2005, 06:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just wanted to know what is your opinion on LoJack. My dealer really recommends that I get it installed for my car. Do you guys think it is necessary?

How many people here have LoJack or some form of it installed in your car?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:45 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I think it all depends on where you live and if the local law enforcement has Lojack tracking gear.

The car is pretty hard to steal as it is and I don't park often in a high crime area so for me, it's not worth it. Also, sometimes it's better to not get your car back after it's been stolen...
Old 03-05-2005, 06:55 AM
sj3
Senior Members

I've had it in my autos for the last five years or so, and never needed it. It's peace of mind, mostly, for me. The key, as Rudy indicated, is whether law enforcement has the equipment to receive the signal, in the areas where you park regularly. It can't hurt, but actually that's not 100% true. Usually, dealers have a relationship with Lojack so they don't need to take your car anywhere else. However, 'regulations' require that dealer personnel not see exactly where it's installed. Translated, that means Lojack people will be 'messing' with your car not in the direct view of BMW service personnel. They're close if they're needed if it's done on dealer premise, an advantage in my opinion.

Sam
Old 03-05-2005, 07:52 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 545i 6 spd Sports Package | NAV | PDC | Logic 7 | BT retrofit | SW V13.3

http://forums.e60.net/index.php?showtopic=...indpost&p=97578
Old 03-05-2005, 08:24 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Delta' date='Mar 5 2005, 07:30 AM
I just wanted to know what is your opinion on LoJack.? My dealer really recommends that I get it installed for my car.? Do you guys think it is necessary?
[snapback]97549[/snapback]
Did he also recommend perma plate and under coating??!! Sorry, couldn't resist...

BMW Assist includes stolen car tracking, and for the price of Lojack, you could pay for several years of BMW Assist. Personally, once my free first year is over, I'll not renew BMW assist, even with stolen car tracking.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:49 AM
Members

So BMW Assist includes this feature now?

And no he didnt recommend under coating and perma plate.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:35 PM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Delta' date='Mar 5 2005, 10:49 AM
So BMW Assist includes this feature now?

And no he didnt recommend under coating and perma plate.?
[snapback]97616[/snapback]
I got a postcard in the mail last week and it says BMW Assist includes "stolen vehicle recovery (2005 models except 7 series)." And concierge service!!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:53 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Mar 5 2005, 05:45 AM
I think it all depends on where you live and if the local law enforcement has Lojack tracking gear.

The car is pretty hard to steal as it is and I don't park often in a high crime area so for me, it's not worth it.? Also, sometimes it's better to not get your car back after it's been stolen...
[snapback]97553[/snapback]
rudy, sorry to say and not trying to scare you. nothing is hard to steal for the "professionals" :'(.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:40 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Delta' date='Mar 5 2005, 10:30 AM
I just wanted to know what is your opinion on LoJack.? My dealer really recommends that I get it installed for my car.? Do you guys think it is necessary?

How many people here have LoJack or some form of it installed in your car?
[snapback]97549[/snapback]

if you love your car, and order is specifically to your liking and you bought it, and it took you months to get what you want, why not ? its not much cost, and good peace of mind... it also does help with insurance a bit, i have it now, and will have it on the next one
Old 03-05-2005, 03:03 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Mar 5 2005, 05:53 PM
rudy, sorry to say and not trying to scare you.? nothing is hard to steal for the "professionals" :'(.
[snapback]97706[/snapback]
Exactly. There's always going to be a professional that can circumvent whatever means of security that's implemented. If I worried about the professionals who target something specific, I'd never buy anything and never leave the house.

For me, the car comes with enough security to protect it (and me) from most bad guys. I imagine that most car thieves (not professional car thieves) know not to bother trying to steal my car because they know it's not going to be easy. If a pro wants my car, he's going to get it, Lojack or no Lojack, BMW Assist tracking or not...

Quick Reply: Opinions on LoJack