E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

Open air intake design?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I thought i posted this but now do not see it so will quickly post again and excuse if my other one shows up.

I have the AFE and it is an "open" design where by closing the hood it seals the airbox but with the hood open well it is oepn

My piece of rubber stripping that went along the top of the airbox and created the seal with the hood ripped and was gone for several weeks. I got the new part today and put it on and I definetly noticed a difference. And I am wondering if it is feasible that air was escaping since it was not sealed?

Also wondering on a dyno-they open the hood and essentially the airbox is wide open. Would this not decrease the amount of air getting sucked into the actual intake tubing since any air being sucked in good more effectively escape through the wide open top?

I am wondering if that lowered my dyno results? Any thoughts
Old 05-27-2007, 07:15 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by sleepyca31' post='428381' date='May 26 2007, 08:00 AM
So I thought i posted this but now do not see it so will quickly post again and excuse if my other one shows up.

I have the AFE and it is an "open" design where by closing the hood it seals the airbox but with the hood open well it is oepn

My piece of rubber stripping that went along the top of the airbox and created the seal with the hood ripped and was gone for several weeks. I got the new part today and put it on and I definetly noticed a difference. And I am wondering if it is feasible that air was escaping since it was not sealed?

Also wondering on a dyno-they open the hood and essentially the airbox is wide open. Would this not decrease the amount of air getting sucked into the actual intake tubing since any air being sucked in good more effectively escape through the wide open top?

I am wondering if that lowered my dyno results? Any thoughts
how about some pic of your mod?