E60, E61 Parts, Accessories and Mods Discussion about both stock and aftermarket parts for the E60. Accessories and modifications too!

OLD tires sold as new?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 05:44 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cleung' post='1084111' date='Jan 4 2010, 03:01 PM
glad I only get f*cked by my dealer, at least they give me a nice loaner to drive while they f*ck me

lol i dont even get a loaner so consider yourself lucky
Old 01-04-2010, 06:30 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1083768' date='Jan 4 2010, 12:56 AM
Here's a quick bump of this thread with a link to the ABC news video story that ran in early November:
http://abcnews.go.com/Video/playerIndex?id=4826897

Although there's some sensationalizing being done by the reporters, I do think it's mostly a valid concern. Probably the most valuable part of the story is the part where they show how to read the date code on the tire's sidewall...
I recently bought tires and wheels from a famous company who advertises on this site and they were 3.6 years old when they arrived. I had a terible fight with them about their lack of candor in selling me brand new tires and wheels that were 3.6 years old. They eventually refunded me a percentum of the tire price. I'll never trust them again. Next time I order tires I will require some written proof of the age of the new tires before I agree to buy.

I will not mention the name because they did refund me a percentum. Caveat emptor my friends.
Old 01-04-2010, 06:50 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='1084256' date='Jan 4 2010, 07:30 PM
I recently bought tires and wheels from a famous company who advertises on this site and they were 3.6 years old when they arrived. I had a terible fight with them about their lack of candor in selling me brand new tires and wheels that were 3.6 years old. They eventually refunded me a percentum of the tire price. I'll never trust them again. Next time I order tires I will require some written proof of the age of the new tires before I agree to buy.

I will not mention the name because they did refund me a percentum. Caveat emptor my friends.

actually you should post who did this

a vendor should never get away with selling old tires as new even if theyve never been mounted, post the vendors name
Old 01-04-2010, 07:01 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

i dont think its that big of a deal with tires that are 2-3 years old. as long as the tires were stored indoors, which more than likely they were, then they should be alright.
even if the tires were 7 years old, i wouldnt hesitate to use them....if i got them at a discount.
Old 01-04-2010, 07:31 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='1084256' date='Jan 4 2010, 10:30 PM

Just for the record, this site, unlike many others, doesn't have any actual "advertisers"...unless you're referring to a commercial vendor who posts here, it may have been a Google delivered ad which does not really count as a site advertiser.

I agree that you should inform us as to who it is...it's impossible for us buyers to "beware" if we don't know who the advertiser is...
Old 01-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='1084281' date='Jan 5 2010, 12:31 AM
Just for the record, this site, unlike many others, doesn't have any actual "advertisers"...unless you're referring to a commercial vendor who posts here, it may have been a Google delivered ad which does not really count as a site advertiser.

I agree that you should inform us as to who it is...it's impossible for us buyers to "beware" if we don't know who the advertiser is...
The tire company made it right with me. That is something we, as a society, want to encourage. I don't feel it is just to accept a refund, to settle the dispute, then name the settling company in a negative light. That is just my value system.

It is simple enough for the readers to protect themselves and obtain some written proof of the age of the tires when making an internet purchase. There can't be that many famous commercial tire/wheel vendors on this site.

Knowing who the seller is - is not a prerequisite to being cautious and doing your due diligence on something as serious as an internet tire purchase.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2011.5 Alpine White E90 M3 | Black Novillo Leather | Carbon Fiber Leather Trim | ZCP | ZP2 | M-DCT | Navigation | Moonroof | 6FL Mods: TMS 12.5mm spacers all around l Hawk HPS Brake Pads l OEM M3 Edition Grills l Paint Matched Side Gills l Key Hole D

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='1084292' date='Jan 4 2010, 09:10 PM
The tire company made it right with me. That is something we, as a society, want to encourage. I don't feel it is just to accept a refund, to settle the dispute, then name the settling company in a negative light. That is just my value system.

It is simple enough for the readers to protect themselves and obtain some written proof of the age of the tires when making an internet purchase. There can't be that many famous commercial tire/wheel vendors on this site.

Knowing who the seller is - is not a prerequisite to being cautious and doing your due diligence on something as serious as an internet tire purchase.
good point greg, but this forum as a whole is a resource, knowledge of both good/bad and questionable vendors is an appreciated and often used feature of this site. We all look for references here on this site, it's helps us be more informed buyers/consumers....agreed one should be cautious all the time, but a little help along the way is always appreciated. Do you think you would have purchased from this vendor if another member had posted a similar story like yours...perhaps yes, but you would have definitely proceeded with more caution as well....

either way, we can't force you to share who the vendor is, and we should respect your stance, but I hope you understand where I (we) are coming from....

glad everything worked out for you in the end
Old 01-04-2010, 08:28 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550I LOADED, all options except HUD and NV

Originally Posted by GregBrand' post='1084292' date='Jan 4 2010, 09:10 PM

Kudos to you Greg, I agree, there is no reason to "name names" as it were if, in fact, you were satisfied with the outcome of the dispute. It is helpful to post that this happened to you, using a vendor that posts here for the rest of us to be more cautious. I am no expert but I don't think a well stored tire that is 3+ years old would be considered dangerous, but I guess it would depend on the composition of the tire. The ones listed in the article posted were tires that were 14 years old, which no matter how they weer stored is ridiculous.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:33 PM
Super Moderator

My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

+1 with Gene.

You said it yourself Greg, they made it right with you. Because of that, I don't think it would be "a negative light" if you told us who it was. If anything, it might give a futre buyer some confidence that they're reputable...

That said, whatever you choose to do, at least you (and everyone else) knows that the vendor was not an "advertiser" to this site.
Old 01-04-2010, 08:50 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by turboawd' post='1084271' date='Jan 4 2010, 08:01 PM
i dont think its that big of a deal with tires that are 2-3 years old. as long as the tires were stored indoors, which more than likely they were, then they should be alright.
even if the tires were 7 years old, i wouldnt hesitate to use them....if i got them at a discount.
^^

check out this article from tire rack and take note about storage and turnover: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/tec....jsp?techid=183

seven years might be a stretch, but to each his own

Quick Reply: OLD tires sold as new?